Kotor Tours Anyone?

susanarknaturals

We're on the August 21 Nautica -- Athens to Istanbul

I looked at the Montenegro web site that was mentioned -- but couldn't get a feel for anything

Anyone who has been there before -- please step in an give me your feedback Thanks:)

We were just there a couple of weeks ago...

When planning the trip, I didn't find a lot of info about any private tour guides. I don't think the town has been hosting cruise ships long enough, nor does it have enough cruises visiting, to have developed this industry...

so, we decided on doing a shore excursion through the ship...

First, know that Kotor itself is a charming, but very small town...You can walk right from the ship, out the gate and across the street and walk through the entire town in short time on your own...There are fortifications going up the mountainside and a lot of our cruisemates climbed those...

We took the tour to Sveti Stefan and Budva...

Sveti Stefan is a picturesque spot, but otherwise fairly dull...

Budva, on the other hand is extremely charming and well worth a visit...Really more of a resort town than Kotor itself, the centerpiece is an old walled city...We paid a whole 1 euro apiece to climb the walls and completely circle the old town from above--the views are incredible...The old city itself is a maze of narrow streets and shops...and prices are extremely reasonable...

One other note on Budva (at least in July): You've got to go far and wide to find a town with more young women strolling the streets in bikinis...The men all seemed to love it, the wives were less than thrilled...

After the excursion returned us to the ship, we walked over to the walled city of Kotor and wandered on our own...

This port (and the combination of Kotor and Budva) was really a highlight...

Enjoy...

I agree with Steve that Kotor was one of the unexpected highlights ofthe trip. It was only a pity that the storm prior to arrival had knocked a lot of the electricity out in the small shops in town. This was quite strange as it was random blackouts.

The shopkeepers blamed the storm but maybe they have other problems.

We then met a group of Brits in Town who told us to take a taxi to the Church on the River. As you approach Kotor on the Ship you will see a tiny Island about 15 minutes before arrival. It measures about 200 yards by 100 and this wonderful Church was built there. It can only be approached by smalll boat at a cost of about 5 euros return (they will offer to take you when you and agree to return in 45 minutes, you only pay on return).

The taxi goes along the coast for about 10 miles and we asked him to wait until we got back from the Island. A great ride.

He asked for 40 euros return, we agreed on 25.

If you are interested I will get the name of the Island.

Brian

• 1 year later...
I agree with Steve that Kotor was one of the unexpected highlights ofthe trip. It was only a pity that the storm prior to arrival had knocked a lot of the electricity out in the small shops in town. This was quite strange as it was random blackouts.

The shopkeepers blamed the storm but maybe they have other problems.

We then met a group of Brits in Town who told us to take a taxi to the Church on the River. As you approach Kotor on the Ship you will see a tiny Island about 15 minutes before arrival. It measures about 200 yards by 100 and this wonderful Church was built there. It can only be approached by smalll boat at a cost of about 5 euros return (they will offer to take you when you and agree to return in 45 minutes, you only pay on return).

The taxi goes along the coast for about 10 miles and we asked him to wait until we got back from the Island. A great ride.

He asked for 40 euros return, we agreed on 25.

If you are interested I will get the name of the Island.

Brian

Brian

I would like the name of the island please.

Lynda

Just a couple of things..

The answer to your question is below, to visit it you need to take a boat ride from Perast.

We will be leaving April 30th on a land vacation which will encompass Montenegro.

On our personal travel website we have post a video on Montenegro that you might enjoy viewing.

I also have a sights to see checklist for Kotor and Perast,

if you are interested send me an email.

On our return I will be posting photos and a trip report of all we did in Kotor, Perast and the rest of Montenegro on our website.

Here's the link to that, then go into Our Next Adventure

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

Here's is the information you take a boat ride from Perast

Perast lies beneath the hill of St. Elijah (873 m), on a cape that separates the bay of Risan from the bay of Kotor (two smaller bays within the Boka Kotorska) and overlooks the Verige strait, the narrowest part of Boka. The average yearly temperature in Perasto is 18.3°C, and the number of sunny days is 240 (or around 2,500 sunny hours per year).

Near Perast there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each of them has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela (originally called in venetian "Madonna dello Scarpello") is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic, with an area of 3,030 m² — it was built upon a rock (Škrpjel) after two venetian sailors from Perast found a picture of the Virgin Mary on it in 1452.

Venice owned the city between 1420 and 1797. Perast (called Perasto in the venetian language, spoken officially there until the nineteenth century) was part of the Albania Veneta. The city's sixteen Baroque palaces were mostly built in this period, too, as were its seventeen Catholic churches and two Orthodox churches. The old city does not have a defensive wall, but instead it has nine defensive towers, the most important of which is the tower of the Holy Cross. These were built by the navy of the Venetian Republic in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Archived