Bar Harbor-Car Rental

dincus

What you found is correct; that is the closest.

Someone posted that they made arrangements with the car rental company to deliver the car to the town dock where they picked it up, and when they were done, left it at the dock with the keys in it. It would be worth looking into.

In BH, there is a free shuttle bus available until 10/12 called the Island Explorer. It has 7 routes: http://www.exploreacadia.com/maps.html . Someone has suggested that after 10/12, the IE will only run when there is a cruise ship visiting; but I have been unable to confirm that.

BH is a tender port so adjust your visiting times accordingly.

SBtS

IF you could get the car rental to drop the car off in Bar Harbor AND if they would let you drop it back off at the docks I think that this would be the best way to see the island. Although tours do give you history of the area that you would miss otherwise.

IF you had to go get the car and return it to the airport in Trenton, then I would not bother with the car as it could take hours to pick up/return.

Jan

We considered renting a car in Bar Harbor and even went so far as to reserve a car with Enterprise. However, when we called the agency we found that they would not bring the car until we called when we were on shore. Then we would have to take the driver back to the airport. Then when we were finished with the car we would have to take it to the airport and have them drive us back to the ship. We figured that we could waste 3-4 hours or more just getting and returning the car. We decided on a private tour instead. We are using At Your Service Taxi (I think! Someone else booked the tour.). The rental car was just oo much of a hassle.

Archived