Cherbourg, Cork, Plymouth. St. John's tours

kcnjan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. We recently did the British Isles, Ireland, Norway sailing on the Jewel of the Seas. We did Plymouth on our own, however, in Cork we rented a private bus that held around 20 people (we had a group of 18). It was through a company called Butlers & Buses and they were excellent. Kevin, the driver, was also the guide and was great. We docked in Cobh and went to Blarney Castle and the Wollen Mills, Kinsale, which is great, and then back through Cork to Cobh, which is a nice little town. Kinsale is an absolutely wonderful town, so don't miss it. Plymouth is very easy to do on your own, so I wouldn't recommend a tour there unless travelling outside the city.

kcnjan,

IMHO, Plymouth is not a particularly attractive city. Apart from Plymouth Hoe (a park-like area along the seafront, where Sir Francis Drake reputedly played bowls as the Spanish Armada approached), there's really nothing scenic in the city itself.

Instead, I would (and have done, three times!) take the train to Calstock, several miles north of Plymouth, along the River Tamar, from where it's a short, very pleasant walk to Cotehele (pronounced "Co-TEEL") House, a medieval manor house with lovely gardens and a very pretty setting. If the train isn't convenient for you (they don't run terribly frequently; you don't want to hang around or miss your ship!), no doubt a taxi could take you there directly from the quayside at Plymouth.

Alternatively, you might look into a visit to Mount Edgecumbe House, which you can reach by ferry from Plymouth. (The ferry departs from the Mayflower Steps, The Barbican, Plymouth.) I've never been there myself, but it is highly recommended in guidebooks etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

John

Archived