NY Crowne Plaza Times square and baggage

cambb

Hi,

I'm flying into NY from the UK on the 23rd Sept and staying at the Crown Plaza for my cruise on the 24th. I'll be getting off the ship on the 30th however my flight isn't until 20.00 that night. Do you think the hotel will look after my baggage during the day until i get a cab to the airport?

Also can anybody recommend any good restaurants around time square?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm flying into NY from the UK on the 23rd Sept and staying at the Crown Plaza for my cruise on the 24th. I'll be getting off the ship on the 30th however my flight isn't until 20.00 that night. Do you think the hotel will look after my baggage during the day until i get a cab to the airport?

Thanks

You need to contact the hotel directly and ask them.

Do you think the hotel will look after my baggage during the day until i get a cab to the airport?

Yes. You will have to pay something for this service, but yes.

Times Square is home to some good restaurants and a lot of really bad ones catering mostly to tourists. If you've never been to NY, I would suggest Sardi's, the classic old theatrical restaurant, home to countless Broadway opening-night parties, mostly because of its history and ambience. But it really depends on what you're looking for; every language on earth is spoken here, and every cuisine is available. If you could narrow it down some (by price, too) I would be glad to respond.

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the restaurants, i quite like American/Mexican/Italian food.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza last month before our cruise. We ate at the Olive Garden on Broadway just down the street from the Crowne Plaza. Had a table by the window on the 2nd floor overlooking Broadway and it was a great location for people watching. The Olive Garden is a chain restaurant serving "American" style Italian food . . . :). The food is good and the price reasonable. Beyond that I'm sure the concierge at the hotel can recommend some good restaurants.

Enjoy NYC and your cruise!

Gail

We ate at the Olive Garden on Broadway just down the street from the Crowne Plaza.

Normally that recommendation would just make me cringe -- if you can go to the Olive Garden at your local mall, why would you go there when in NYC? Granted, the OP isn't from the US and so doesn't have a local Olive Garden, but still: this is New York. There are far better choices available.

If you must stay around Times Square, the best Italian restaurant is probably Becco's on 46th Street, but be prepared to go after 7:45. NYC isn't much known for Mexican restaurants, but Zuni's on 43rd and 9th is an interesting American with southwest influence.

But an even better idea is to get outside of the tourist district, and if you like Italian, go to Little Italy. In fact, Sept. 23 is the last night of the Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italy. Google their web page for info and a list of restaurants (Luna's on Mulberry is a good choice), or just go to the festival and eat from street vendors. It will be very crowded, but it will be a real New York experience.

Normally that recommendation would just make me cringe -- if you can go to the Olive Garden at your local mall, why would you go there when in NYC? Granted, the OP isn't from the US and so doesn't have a local Olive Garden, but still: this is New York. There are far better choices available.

Perhaps I assumed too much.

Since the OP is flying in just the day before the cruise I assumed the cruise was the highlight of the trip, not NYC restaurants. Flying from the UK can be tiring and a nice walk and decent meal may be all they need at that point. I have eaten at many NYC restaurants.

No need to criticize . . . I was just trying to be helpful . . . :)

Archived