Digital Photo storage

Tigger&Eeyore

I have a 512mb card and if I change the settings just a little I can get over 1500 pictures and yes they are still good quality pictures...have blown some up for the wall and everything!!

I bought and Aqua Bag for my digital camera and when we travel it stays in there....safe from water, sand, humidity and anything else that comes it's way!!

Good luck!!!

Most of the big ships (and some of the mid-size ones) will burn CDs at their photo store on board. But I don't like anyone touching my stuff, so I bought a portable storage device called RoadStor, that burns CDs on the run (it operates on battery, 'til that poops out, and/or on AC). Trouble is, mine does only CDs which hold only 700 meg. So if you have a 1 gig card, you'll have to make a second pass. Since then, RoadStor has come out with a new machine that burns DVDs.

The really trick device, though, is the Epson P 4000, which is like a big i Pod. You plug in your flash card, download it into a folder, and save it. You can also use the slideshow function, which shows your pictures on a 3 by 4-inch LCD screen. There's also a music track, that allows you to play background music with your slideshow. An optional cord allows you to play your photos through a TV set (say, on board). Best of all, the P 4000 holds 80 gig, which is about half the size of the hard drive on my old computer. Not cheap, but really slick.

As for digital cameras at the beach, maybe a cheap one--well protected, as sand and salt water are not the best environment for any camera.

• 1 month later...

I avoid the ship's photography store for burning CDs. First, they price is usually outrageous. Secondly, at least some of them convert the pictures to Kodak format. I don't like that at all.

I used to do this:

Someone on the ship always has a laptop. Ask them to burn a CD for you. Newer laptops usually have build-in ports for the popular memory card formats, but you can buy tiny portable ones (they simply plug into USB ports) for US$15 or less. I used to throw a few CDs in bag so I didn't need to "steal" one from the kind person bruning a CD for me.

Now that I carry my own laptop with me, I simply burn my own -- and burn CDs for fellow passengers. My only rule: I won't look at your pictures; please don't ask me. :)

Paul

Last year on our Alaska cruise I would download my pict to my iPod (3rd generation, not a picture one) each day. It's really just a hard drive that also plays music. When I got home, I simply connected it to my computer and moved the picts to my Alaska file. There is a small adpter that attaches between the camera and the iPod. Very easy and small to travel with.

There is also a Fotoshoot. I have a 40g that is also just a hard drive. You can connect it directly to the camera and then move all your picts to it each day. Less likely to be stolen than an iPod. I think I got it at Office Depot or Best Buy.

If you have access to a computer, you can also put your picts on a thumb drive.

You can also get the picts on your cards put on a CD on the ship. Stand right there and watch them download the picts and make sure they are all there.

This frees up your cards and you don't have to be selective about what pict you are taking.

Do not pack these cards or drives in your checked luggage. The x-rays for the checked luggage is much stronger than for your carry 0ns.

• 3 months later...

Celeb will load your photos to their ship server. They keep them there while you fill your card again. Once you have all your shots, they'll burn 1 CD with everything on it. If you lose the CD they can retrieve the shots for 30 days.

Used it and it was great. :)

15 bucks I think.

........memory is so cheap now.....take a lot of it. I bring a laptop and download each days phots.......that way I can check them out to make sure everything is good.....like focus. The photos are the most important thing I will be bringing home.......and I average 3-4000 photos on a 10 to 12 day cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
........memory is so cheap now.....take a lot of it. I bring a laptop and download each days phots.......that way I can check them out to make sure everything is good.....like focus. The photos are the most important thing I will be bringing home.......and I average 3-4000 photos on a 10 to 12 day cruise.

I feel the same way about my photos. I have been using a Cannon Rebel (the old fashioned kind with film) for years. My DH bought me a Cannon Sure Shot 800 IS for Christmas, with a 2GB memory card. I am trying to figure out if I need to buy another memory card, or if I will have enough room on this one. I am going to see if my cousin who is traveling with us plans to bring his laptop...if not...how many photos will I be able to put on my 2GB card? I will probably be using the largest amount of pixels, and the medium amount of compression. These terms are so odd to me...I'm just learning my way around this digital world!

I believe 2 GB of memory should be more than enough, but I would still carry an extra memory card just in case. I always carry 2-3 memory cards (but I just bought my 1st 1 gb card so I may not need 2-3 now) with me on trips because I increase the Megapixel size since these will very likely be once in a lifetime shots.

New to the camera thing I got a Olympus digital camera for christmas what is a good mp to set it at? I have the worse luck with cameras i swear. :D And i have a 512 xd card will that be a big enough card for alot of pictures? Any advice for taking good pics? I have being practicing taking pics on the animals and i truly think there getting sick of it.:p They run in the other direction when they see it coming. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I posted on another thread about using several smaller memory cards. A friend had one large card and had all their cruise pictures on it, They had their camera stollen off of the conveyor as they embarked from a shore tour. If you have several smaller cards, you something happens to one or to the camera, you don't loose all your picture memories.

Archived