Sydney in 2 days-What not to miss?

cathi

Yes Botany Bay is the body of water right next to Sydney Airport. The place where Captian Cook first landed.

Enjoy your time in Sydney.

Couldn't resist quoting the words from the song! (An Aussie folk song.)

cathi: You are in for a real treat in Sydney. I was born and raised there . . . ended up in Oklahoma. But that's another story.

Although you only have three days, Sydney is a very easy city to navigate given all the various modes of public transportation. (I do agree with Globaliser that a full day devoted to going to the Blue Mountains would take up too much of your limited time there. But then, it does depend on what you like and what your priorities are.)

A very relaxing way to see the whole Harbour is to take the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. Beautiful views. Once there you can walk down the concourse to the ocean side and see the beaches. Stop for a bite at one of the outdoor cafes and people watch for a little bit. I think it has already been mentioned . . . the ferry ride itself is just an hour round trip but you see so much.

Enjoy your visit . . . :)

Yes, it has been a few years but we got a 3-day pass for red bus, ferries, etc. and it was well woth it if you plan your trips. Because we had this pass, we did both a daytime and nightime harbor cruise and used the red bus pass to get to attractions on a couple of days--there are so many things to do in Sydney you could be busy for many days. We have been there 3 times and still have only seen a small part of that wonderful city. We find the Circular Quay/Rocks area the most convenient to stay in because it's close to transportation and several major attractions. Dinner in the revolving restaurant is quite touristy and rather spendy, but you can't beat the sight of the Harbor Bridge and Opera House lit up at night.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Cathi. I've been to Sydney a dozen times, many summers there.

I recommend you buy this book -- "National Geographic Traveler: Sydney"

This book details several excellent walking tours, many reachable via the wonderfully easy and pleasant ferry system. I'll focus on the ferry system, because I think it's a kick ass way to maximize your enjoyment for a short 2 day visit.

Hi Mike!

Thanks for the helpful advice on Sydney. You may remember us from the Pride of Hawai'i relo this summer. If we had known about your experience visiting Australia, we would have asked a lot more questions! We are planning for an April 2008 visit and cruise. We'll keep looking at the ports of call CC info for more great ideas.

Thanks again.

Bob Swanson

Wow that looks like a great cruise.

My dream cruise would be Sydney to Honolulu, I know princess has one doing that on a smaller ship.

Have you tried Princess' "personal choice" dining? How does it compare to NCL freestyle?

I'm leaving for Australia next week, for a whole month.

I might have some tips for discount airfare to Australia from Hawaii if you can contact me

Wow that looks like a great cruise.

My dream cruise would be Sydney to Honolulu, I know princess has one doing that on a smaller ship.

Have you tried Princess' "personal choice" dining? How does it compare to NCL freestyle?

I'm leaving for Australia next week, for a whole month.

I might have some tips for discount airfare to Australia from Hawaii if you can contact me

Well, that cruise is nearly your "dream". The last stop before San Francisco

is Honolulu. If you can stand to miss 4 or 5 sea days (and meals), it may

work out. We are planning the Sun Princess, but the Sapphire Princess

leaves in the same time period (to Los Angeles), and covers nearly

the same itinerary.

No, we've never done Princess before. We are going to have to

manage what with my allergy to suits and ties :) This will be interesting.

As a "test" we will take the west coast relo of the Sapphire

Princess in May 2007. We have tacked on 2 more Alaska legs

to the same cruise, so we'll be on the Sapphire for 18 days.

That should be enough of a test.

That April 2008 cruise is starting to sell out, so now may be the

time to stake a claim. The roll-call is over 1,600 postings already...

We have noticed that the discount arm of Quantas has some

superior prices from Honolulu to Sydney. If they are still doing

that in 2008, we'll sign on. That is definitely an "open jaw", going

from Maui (Honolulu) to Syndey, and then from San Francisco back to

Maui.

Have a great time in Australia! We are getting excited, even though

it is over 16 months away.

Archived