Sydney in 2 days-What not to miss?

cathi

We will be in Sydney for 2 maybe 3 days prior to boarding the Sapphire in Jan. What should we see?? What's a not miss in your books? I will tell you we are not wine drinkers so tours of the wine district are not in the cards. Love beaches and historical places. Any Suggestions!??????

We will be in Sydney for 2 maybe 3 days prior to boarding the Sapphire in Jan. What should we see?? What's a not miss in your books? I will tell you we are not wine drinkers so tours of the wine district are not in the cards. Love beaches and historical places. Any Suggestions!??????

Hi cathi,

Welcome (in advance!) to our wonderful country ...

For your 2/3 day stay prior to the Sapphire cruise, I would suggest some or all of the following:

Try http://www.sydneyaustralia.com/ as well for much more.

Have a fantastic visit and cruise to New Zealand. We did the reverse cruise last January on Diamond Princess and had a great time. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather cruising the fjords and keep an eye on this board for lots of helpful information about the ports of call.

Tim

as well as the backstage tour of the Opera House (this is dicey as they only offer it a couple of times a week, but it was really interesting). We were in Sydney for three days and could have easily stayed a week. There is just so much to see and do. My suggestion is try to take at least a little time just to walk the streets and get the feel of the city itself. It has a personality all its own, especially down on the Quay.

Charlie

The local harbour ferries are a great way to see the harbour in the day and a night trip is just beautiful.The bridge and the Opera House viewed from the water is just magic. There are also commercial lunch or dinner cruises.

I always go to Darling Harbour on a trip to Sydney. You can pick up the Monorail there which is a great way to get an overview of the CBD and you can hop off and look at areas of interest - and if you buy a day ticket its great value.

The Sydney explorer bus is a great way to see Sydney hop on hop off. The view from Mrs Macquarie's chair of the harbour is fantastic.

Sydney is a great city with plenty to do. My personal favourites are below:

First of all I would walk down to Circular Quay and look at both the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge from close quarters and walk around the Rocks area.

Then I would definitely do the Bridge Climb. You will need to book this before you leave home as it is the number one attraction in Sydney. The view from the top is magnificent and it is a great thrill to have climbed the bridge. We did it way back when it was first opened.

Then I would get a ferry and go across to the Zoo. Once there I would catch the chair lift up to the top and walk down to the bottom. The views are to die for.

I would also go up the AMP tower and have a meal at the top. Again the views are wonderful.

If I had time, I would catch the ferry to Watson's Bay, buy fish and chips at Doyle's and eat outside. I would return to Sydney by bus via Rose Bay and Double Bay for another lot of wonderful views from a different perspective.

Another favourite of mine is to go to Balmoral Beach and have lunch at Bathers Pavalion and then have a swim in the harbour. It has a great beach and it is netted so there are no fears of sharks.

I could go on and on but I think you have enough for more than two days.

Jennie

Sydney is a great city with plenty to do. My personal favourites are below:

First of all I would walk down to Circular Quay and look at both the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge from close quarters and walk around the Rocks area.

Then I would definitely do the Bridge Climb. You will need to book this before you leave home as it is the number one attraction in Sydney. The view from the top is magnificent and it is a great thrill to have climbed the bridge. We did it way back when it was first opened.

Then I would get a ferry and go across to the Zoo. Once there I would catch the chair lift up to the top and walk down to the bottom. The views are to die for.

I would also go up the AMP tower and have a meal at the top. Again the views are wonderful.

If I had time, I would catch the ferry to Watson's Bay, buy fish and chips at Doyle's and eat outside. I would return to Sydney by bus via Rose Bay and Double Bay for another lot of wonderful views from a different perspective.

Another favourite of mine is to go to Balmoral Beach and have lunch at Bathers Pavalion and then have a swim in the harbour. It has a great beach and it is netted so there are no fears of sharks.

I could go on and on but I think you have enough for more than two days.

Jennie

G´day Jennie,

as I like sailing I´m interested in the Sydney-Hobart-Race 2007.

Do you know anything about it? Dates, marinas etc.?

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Back again. Yes I do know quite a bit about the Sydney to Hobart yacht race in fact I watched the start a few years ago from the North Shore of Sydney when our daughter and her family lived up there.

It commences on Boxing Day each year (the day you will be in Melbourne) and it takes from 3 -7 days depending on the sizes of the yachts and the weather conditions. If you have ever followed this race, a few times we have lost quite a few men to the sea, especially about 3 years ago when a lot of the yachts failed to finish due to severe weather conditions that forecasters just had no idea about.

It is a wonderful spectacle as the yachts go through the heads in Sydney out into the Pacific Ocean and down south and across the treacherous Tasman Sea to Hobart. The last two years the weather has been perfect for the race and it has been sailed in record times.

I am not sure of your ship's itinerary but I think it has been worked out that you will miss seeing the yachts though if you are going onto Sydney after Melbourne, you may see some of them on your way north.

Jennie

You guys are incredible!! I wish we could do all you have suggested. I know the Sydney Pass is definitely a must in my books!! BUT the bridge climb ---I don't think so. Hate to say it but I'm afraid of heights (even climbing on chair!!). Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hi:

If we make reservations for the "Bridge Climb" but the weather is bad, do they give you a refund? Or maybe I should ask......do they cancel when it's raining?

Thanks.

Only a few months and I'll be there.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita);)

If we make reservations for the "Bridge Climb" but the weather is bad, do they give you a refund? Or maybe I should ask......do they cancel when it's raining?
In general, no. They only cancel for electrical storms and they will not usually refund you for bad weather in other situations. See this page and this page on their website.

However, I did successfully get them to reschedule a climb for me once, when it was not just bad weather but the sort of fine drizzle that meant that you could not see more than 100 yards. You couldn't see one end of the bridge from the other. When I asked, I was asked to wait for a bit. When no other customers were around to hear what was going on, they then agreed to it. So it does happen.

You guys are incredible!! I wish we could do all you have suggested. I know the Sydney Pass is definitely a must in my books!! BUT the bridge climb ---I don't think so. Hate to say it but I'm afraid of heights (even climbing on chair!!). Thanks for all the suggestions.

Hi Cathi

If a Bridge Climb is not to your liking - try walking across the Sydney Harbour Bridge - the view is not as good - but still a beautiful walk.

My children bought Husband and I tickets to the Bridge Climb - I nearly freaked out - I too cannot stand on a chair !!!! But I was very surprised - a few steps I was a bit nonplussed - but you are "chained on" and our guide was just so good and helpful - once you are at the top it is not a problem - as it is just like walking around the top of a building. I strongly recommend it

The bridge climb is absolutely amazing! The guides are very professional and the entire operation is first rate with safety always the main consideration. The best time is the twilight climbs (we did this) but they do cost more money. You need reservations for the climb and the best way is to simply book on their web site a few months in advance (watch for when you month opens).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cathi. I've been to Sydney a dozen times, many summers there.

I recommend you buy this book -- "National Geographic Traveler: Sydney"

This book details several excellent walking tours, many reachable via the wonderfully easy and pleasant ferry system. I'll focus on the ferry system, because I think it's a kick ass way to maximize your enjoyment for a short 2 day visit.

The ferry terminal is called Circular Quay (say "key"), it is right next to the opera house, royal botanical gardens, and harbour bridge.

The book details a short walking tour from this area to the "rocks", which is old Sydney full of history. Book is very handy for explaining the significance of what you are looking at. :)

The Manly ferry is the very nicest ferry trip, half hour duration each way, leaving roughly every half hour. I don't think it is going too far to say it is a must do, anyway it'd only take a little over an hour round trip.

An especially energetic person could do the lengthy manly-spit walk one way (bus other), detailed in the book, one of my favorites with aboriginal carvings and such fantastic views. There is great kayaking, with hourly rentals, at the spit. You'd love relaxing at the long Manly beach, with surfers and volleyball and joggers. Plenty of good food!

There's a ferry to Taronga zoo. A bus is waiting when the ferry arrives, promptly hop on for a couple minute jaunt to the top of the zoo. You'd much rather walk the length of the zoo downhill than uphill...

I love the ferry to Watsons Bay, which pulls into several harbors along the way. There's some nice seafood restaurants right there. I recommend the Barramundi, the john dory, oysters, muscles, shrimp, clams, ok I admit it I am a pig!

A short uphill walk from the Watsons Bay ferry takes you to a breathtaking cliff lookout. A longer walk, but quite doable and recommended, takes you to the lighthouse and heads. You walk across a beach along the way. If you have extra time, the book I mentioned has an additional walking tour that starts right here, going around Vaucluse, an upscale and historic area. There are far fewer ferries to here than manly, so note your return time options when you arrive.

There's also the Parramatta jet cat, a spirited scenic ride up a long river. Make sure you sit up front, but it's windy. Paramatta is a bit rough so unless you want to shop I'd just hop back on to go home the other way. :)

Bonus: All the local buses trains and ferries you want are only $10 a day (jetcat extra)

I love the train system also, but you only have 2 days, and I've typed enough. :)

p.s. try the ultra yummy gelato place at either manly or circular quay ferry terminals

p.p.s if it was my two days I would catch a rugby game :)

When you are in Sydney the Visitor centre is right near "The Quay" in "The Rocks" area, just near where your ship will dock. If you go inside the people there will help you with brouchures etc.

I agree with, The Bridge climb, Centre Point Tower for lunch, Ferry trip to Manly, Hop on Hop off Red Bus and The Zoo. Travel by ferry to the zoo and catch the cable car to the top. Remember the camera. You will get amazing photos of Sydney as well as see local wildlife that you can pat with the help of guides.

Sydney to Hobart Race leaves around midday on 26th December every year.

Sydney is a beautiful city. Hope you enjoy your time here. Remember it will be very hot at that time of year as it is the middle of our summer. Sunhats and drinks a must.

Boy you guys are all great!!! I love almost all of the suggestions and will probably cram as much as we can into the few days we have in Sydney. After much discussion with hubby, it looks like we may double the days to 4, just so we can cram more in.

One question I have is, on a backpackers website, I found a reference to "Scenic World". Seems it is doable as a day trip from Sydney. Anybody know about this place. Looks great in the pictures but we all know how deceiving pictures on the web can be!!!!

Also, I have been told we can purchase a "city pass" that includes ferries, busses, hop-on-hop-off, etc. Is this worth it? Has anyone heard of it??

Thanks all! Keep it coming!!!

Cathi

It looks like we may double the days to 4, just so we can cram more in.

GOOD CHOICE.

Also, I have been told we can purchase a "city pass" that includes ferries, busses, hop-on-hop-off, etc. Is this worth it? Has anyone heard of it??

Thanks all! Keep it coming!!!

Cathi

There is one oriented for tourists, supposed to be a good deal, I haven't tried it. I usually get "day tripper" pass that covers ferries trains bus within a fair bit of sydney. They also have weekly passes that are a good deal. Hey any excuse to stay a week.

You can buy day tickets to use on all forms of public transport in Sydney at the train station at Circular Quay. It is about A$13.00 per person. It gives you unlimted use of the standard transport for that day. Not jetcats etc. I think it is well worth the money.

It is an easy city that I hope you will enjoy.

One question I have is, on a backpackers website, I found a reference to "Scenic World". Seems it is doable as a day trip from Sydney. Anybody know about this place.
Locals can confirm whether my impression is correct, but this just looks like a package rebranding of a number of attractions that have long been at the scenic edge of Katoomba, looking out over the most spectacular views that can be had from the town.

Katoomba and the Blue Mountains generally are pretty and well worth going to see - but not as day 1, day 2 or even necessarily day 7 of a Sydney trip. If you only have two days in Sydney, see the city.

Cathi,

This is a beautiful area outside of Sydney in "The Blue Mountains". It is truly unique scenery. The site you looked up is for 4 attractions in this area. You would not be disappointed with the views, BUT i noticed that you do not like heights. The cable car etc go out over the cliffs. There is a walkway through the forest I think you may enjoy that more. This would give you a bit of an idea what the "bush" is like here. It is different to European and American forests. The area is spectacular. Just remember it could be very warm at that time of year and however you go there you need airconditioning in the vehicle.

Enjoy Sydney

You guys are really something!!! Thanks for all the info!! Is Botany Bay down by the airport?? Sounds very interesting. Even though we have got 3 days in Sydney (just confirmed flights) I know we can't do all you have suggested in that time! but we are going to try and cram as much as possible in. After all we will get to rest once we get on the ship!

Archived