Snorkeling in Calica??

lucky us

We are planning a cruise with our 2 daughters and are wondering if there is a place to snorkel when we get to Calica/Playa del Carmen. Can we get to a beach to snorkel without taking a taxi? If so, please let us know!

On my cruises that docked at Calica, there was absolutely nothing there but an ugly rock quarry, several vendor tents, and a line of taxis.

Seems you have to take a taxi to go anywhere from Calica. I went into Playa del Carmen once, and stayed on the ship another time. There IS a pretty public beach in PdC, and there are a couple of parks you could go to, but I understand they're much higher in price than on Cozumel.

Sorry I can't be more positive.:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what we did in Calica: We shared a taxi to get to Playa Del Carmen ($10). Then we went to the bus terminal right in town and caught a commuter bus to Xel-ha. That was about $14 round trip each. Air-conditioned with a movie (would you believe "The Patriot"?). We went to Xel-ha and got their inclusive package, with all snorkel gear, food, and drinks, lockers, towels, etc. It was about $55. each. This is a snorkeling park in a calm bay. Lots of fish, good food and drinks, unlimited, very relaxing. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No lifeguards that I could see. It is large -- we didn't see it all! And it wasn't very crowded. When it closed at about 4:00 PM, we caught our bus (same driver even) and went to relax and shop at Playa before sharing a taxi back to the Carnival Holiday. It was a great adventure, not scary, filled the day. I can't wait to go back!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When it closed at about 4:00 PM, we caught our bus (same driver even) and went to relax and shop at Playa before sharing a taxi back to the Carnival Holiday. It was a great adventure, not scary, filled the day. I can't wait to go back!

Did the Collectivo pick you right back up at the entrance of Xel-Ha or did you have to flag him down?

• 1 month later...

We will be in Calica during the week after Thanksgiving and I'm thinking about Xcaret as our excursion. Carnival offers it as one of their excursions but I had a couple of questions if someone has done this. I want to stay with a Carnival excursion. For the price of this is it going to be my best all around snorkeling, beach,etc. excursion? Also, looking at the site listed on this thread has anyone done their dolphin swim? We would love to do that. Thanks ahead of time!

Acquaintances of ours on our October cruise were nonplussed with Xcaret's snorkeling, though they thought the park itself very nice.

Xcaret is right next door to Calica port. You can see it as you dock -- its marina opens onto the same channel. Taxi prices are for 4 persons. I can't help but believe it would be a lot cheaper to hire a taxi (probably $10 for 4 each way) and pay your own admissions.

• 1 month later...
Guest enjoycruises

It was horrible to find out that we docked at a cement quarry. Nothing there but cement machinery, taxi stand and tents with more shopping. All in all, a major disappointment! We felt sorry for those people who wanted to get off the ship but had no where to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Calica itself has nothing to offer BUT a taxi ride or better yet Collectivo ride (VERY cheap mini-buses (white with a stripe) that run up and down the highway) will take you to MANY great places.

Some of the places EASILY accessed from Calica:

1. Playa Del Carmen (nice beach and lots of shopping - cheaper than Cozumel - some VERY good deals in silver jewelry, lots of restaurants and bars)

2. Akumal Beach (one of the nicest beaches in this part of Mexico - great snorkeling, very quiet and laid back)

3. Xcaret

4. Xel Ha

5. the Mayan ruins at Tulum

6. Tres Rios (very natural eco-aqua park)

7. Croco-Cun

You can rent a car from Executive at the pier in Calica (we did in October), but you have to return it by 7 p.m., when the rental location closes. It's not on their website -- email Jaime at:

http://www.executive.com.mx

We drove first to PdC for shopping, then south to Puerto Aventuras -- there's a Dolphin Discovery there -- and had free day-use of the beach and pool facilities at the Omni resort there. Quite a nice place. There are several eateries and a little town surrounding the marina.

We also drove further south to Akumal and admired the beach houses.

All in all, I'm sure we payed less ($45 for the car, with full insurance) than we would have for taxis for the same trip. And, we enjoyed ourselves enough to ponder returning for a land vacation.

Archived