Fascination- Food and Drinks/ Excursions

cruisealias

1. I haven't been on a cruise since I was a kid, so I don't remember if food and drinks are included? If not, what are the expected costs?

2. For assigned dining times- if i have a different booking than someone i'm going with, how do we get our times/seats together? Is that easy to request?

I'm taking the Fascination western carrib cruise (Key West/ Cozumel).

3. How easy would it be for me to do (2) 5 hr excursions during the 10hr stop in Cozumel (Calica)...

4. Is it better to book them via Carnival's site first/ or are there better deals when you get there?

5. Key West - How close is the shopping area of town from the port (taxi cost $ ?)

Thanks!

1. I haven't been on a cruise since I was a kid, so I don't remember if food and drinks are included? If not, what are the expected costs?

2. For assigned dining times- if i have a different booking than someone i'm going with, how do we get our times/seats together? Is that easy to request?

I'm taking the Fascination western carrib cruise (Key West/ Cozumel).

3. How easy would it be for me to do (2) 5 hr excursions during the 10hr stop in Cozumel (Calica)...

4. Is it better to book them via Carnival's site first/ or are there better deals when you get there?

5. Key West - How close is the shopping area of town from the port (taxi cost $ ?)

Thanks!

On the Fascination Food and Drinks are included EXCEPT for alcoholic drinks, sodas, bottled water, or snacks you may want to get from the gift shops. We were on the Fascination 3/06 and bought the bottled water in our room for $3 and it was a big bottle and the price seemed very reasonable to us. There is iced tea, fruit punch, and maybe lemonade that is available for no charge as well. There is also Sushi and it is no charge too. If you drink soda/pop you can bring your own on the ship-we took a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi right on board with us and some people also take water on with them too. Alcoholic drink cost around $5-$6 if I remember correctly, that's a foo foo drink, beer a little less I believe.

As far as assigned dining, you can change those, you just need to ask.

I do not think you will be able to do (2) 5 hour excursions in Mexico but someone else may be able to tell you more but that seems a little tight.

I do not know about the shopping in Key West, sorry!

I am sure you will get more info on Key West and Mexico from other posters, hope I helped a little. Have a great cruise! :cool:

If you are docked in the military port section ofKey West, then you have to board a tram that transports you out of the mililtary area and drops you off in the heart of the shopping area. If you are docked in the non-militray port, then you can easily walk to the stores (a few blocks).

Enjoy!--

CeleBrat

Cruisealias - Here's something I posted awhile back:

Beverages included in the cost of your cruise:

Lido buffet area - Iced tea, hot water & tea bags, coffee, decaf, hot chocolate, water, juice varieties, lemonade, fruitpunch. On buffet, milk, skim milk, chocolate milk.

Dining room - Iced tea, hot tea, water, coffee, decaf, milk, chocolate milk, juices, espresso and cappuccino.

Room service - MOST of the beverages that are available on Lido, but not lemonade or fruitpunch.

As far as food, all meals at Lido Deck buffet area (buffet, pizzeria, deli, ice cream & yogurt, salad bars, dessert tables) - all included in the cost of your cruise. All meals in the formal dining rooms are also included.

Some ships have "coffee/dessert bars", at which you'll see a sign with prices. Some ships have "supper clubs" which will be extra. Personally, I've never seen the need for these, as there's plenty of food all over the ship without extra charges.

Complimentary cocktails and hors d'oeuvres are served at the Captain's Cocktail Party, which all guests may attend. 'Tea Time' on sea day afternoons also offer comp coffee/tea and little dainty sandwiches, scones, petit fours, etc.

Room service food and beverages (other than alcoholic) are also at no charge...but you should tip the delivery person $1-2 each time.:)

We sailed on the Fascination in July, in Key West you do dock at the outer mole and if you debark the ship, you MUST ride the shuttle into town. You are not allowed to walk through or wander around the base. Whe you are taken into town, you are dropped off right in the heart of the tourist/shopping district. Very easy to ger around. In Cozumel, there is no possible way to do 2-5 hour excursions due to the time tendering takes etc. Pick one you are most interested in and then if you have more time than desired to burn after, you can shop in the port area or take a taxi to a beach area or head into town and visit Carlos & Charlies or Senior Frogs.

Guest YesitDonna

You can call Carnival and have your reservation cross referenced with the people you are travling with. I just did that yesterday so we will be able to sit with our friends. Just make sure you have your booking number and the booking number of those you want to be linked with.

Hi, cruisealias,

When are you going on the Fascination? Our cruise is 12/25. If you cruise before we do, please post information. I picked the cruise based on timing and port of departure. Would like to get a recent review if possible...

Thanks and have fun. You will have a great time. There is no such thing as a bad cruise in my book.

Hi, cruisealias,

When are you going on the Fascination? Our cruise is 12/25. If you cruise before we do, please post information. I picked the cruise based on timing and port of departure. Would like to get a recent review if possible...

Thanks and have fun. You will have a great time. There is no such thing as a bad cruise in my book.

Am off next week for the 4-nighter. Will try to be diligent in writing a review. I can tell you, this is my 3rd time on Fascination...I love that ship. Great atmosphere, easy to get around and, even though is a big, it has a "small ship" feel to it. I wish it did 7-day cruises again.

Apparently she goes into drydock first part of September for a little R&R...so you should be on her when she is at her very best.

Am off next week for the 4-nighter. Will try to be diligent in writing a review. I can tell you, this is my 3rd time on Fascination...I love that ship. Great atmosphere, easy to get around and, even though is a big, it has a "small ship" feel to it. I wish it did 7-day cruises again.

Apparently she goes into drydock first part of September for a little R&R...so you should be on her when she is at her very best.

Thanks for the info! Can you check out the piano bar (88) for me? That's our favorite night time activity, hands down!

Have a great time!!!

thanks for everyone's input!

I did call carnival, and the woman helped assign our seating together, and put in a request for rooms to be near eachother, all in under 2 minutes- you just need to have everyone's confirmation numbers.

Oddly, the departure time is all of a sudden 2hrs earlier now, so of course I can't fit too much into my shore activities, but after some research and reading other threads, it seems feasible to do a Tulum tour and Cenote swimming. By taking a taxi and paying individual entrance/guide fees, everything would be so much cheaper, and the time we spend at each place is flexible. I also found out a taxi from the boat to Playa del Carmen would only take 10min/ $10, to take a quick stroll around 5th Ave (where all the shopping is).

I'm going 8/28 (in 6 days!!!), so i'll definitely post my review of everything when i return!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back, I LOVED every last minute of it! I was constantly taken back by what a great experience and value it was! The service and hospitality has set the bar much higher for me, now that I've seen how courteous and helpful the crew was throughout the ship. The huge selection of food was amazing, and gourmet dinners in the dining room were better than I've ever had in my life! Our 2 waiters defintely added to the whole experience, with their extreme politeness and genuinely happy attitudes- which we saw from everyone. Also, the turndown (2nd room cleaning) everyday definitely took me by surprise at first, but I quickly got used to leaving the room for 2 seconds and coming back to a magically pristine room (the towel creatures were soo cute). My Steward Peter was so polite and welcoming. Also, since we couldn't stop in Key West, we got to spend an entire day in Calica, personally I think was better anyways. Getting a rental car and driving to Tulum and paying for admission and a tour guide for the 3 of us, all turned out to be over $50 cheaper than if we booked through the cruiseline, and added flexibility to leave earlier and do other stuff. The swim in the ocean after the tour was the highlight of the whole week. I had also bought Xcaret tix ahead online, but could've right at the park so as not to worry about cancelled ports or anything, and spent a couple hours there in the underground rivers and tubing in the inlets. After all that we still had the time and energy to walk around Playa Del Carmen's 5th ave to buy souvenirs for a few hours. Overall, the BEST vacation ever! The ONLY downsides were that no alcohol could be brought on, since they'd rather you buy the drinks from them (reg bar prices), and small pools that crowded fast.

Archived