Just back, what next?

Newsdude

I just returned from Carnival Sensation with my 16-year-old daughter and her best friend. It was our first cruise, and we had a blast. They're already nagging me about our next cruise.

So ... should I stick with Carnival or try another line? Many posts say the cruise lines don't vary much. Do they attract different crowds?

My daughter found plenty of kids her age and didn't gripe about anything. My wife might come next time, but she'd probably favor a quieter, more refined crowd.

I thought there was plenty for every taste on our cruise, but should I consider something else?

Well it looks like you're hooked. That's exactly how I felt after my first cruise. Should you try another line? That would be difficult to say but I can tell you that cruise lines are NOT the same. Each one has there own take on the cruising experience. For example I have never cruised Carnival. Not because I think it is a "bad" line, it's just not the type of cruise that I like. I personally prefer to try different lines but only after much research to make sure it's the type of experience I want.

Having said all this, if I did find I made a bad decision on a line or ship I would still make it work and have a great time! :D

I just returned from Carnival Sensation with my 16-year-old daughter and her best friend. It was our first cruise, and we had a blast. They're already nagging me about our next cruise.

So ... should I stick with Carnival or try another line? Many posts say the cruise lines don't vary much. Do they attract different crowds?

My daughter found plenty of kids her age and didn't gripe about anything. My wife might come next time, but she'd probably favor a quieter, more refined crowd.

I thought there was plenty for every taste on our cruise, but should I consider something else?

My advice to you would be to figure out ports you would like to visit on your next cruise, when you'll be able to cruise again and what your budget is. Then drop by a travel agency and ask for brochures for cruise lines that go to the ports you're interested in. Compare what they offer, the dates they sail and what the price of the cruise will be. I sometimes think searching for and planning for my next cruise is almost as much fun as the cruise itself!

I think that it is true that the major cruise lines are more similar than different.

Having said that, each has it's own "feel". We have sailed Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess and Royal Caribbean and never had a bad cruise. We will be trying our first Carnival cruise later this year. (And our second one next January.)

Some things I would consider for your next cruise:

1. If you sail during school breaks or summertime your daughter will probably find more passengers in her age group.
  2. Cruises longer than 7 nights generally have fewer teens. They are generally more expensive.
  3. Larger ships have more activities than smaller ships.
  4. Plan with your daughter where you both would like to go.
  5. Do you want a port intensive cruise or would you rather have an extra sea day or two?
  6. For many people, NCL provides a more relaxed atmosphere and flexibility with your dining time. Most other cruise lines have set dining times like you had on Carnival. Princess lets you choose between traditional (set dining times) or Personal Choice (flexible dining).
  7. There are cruisers who only take one line. There are different loyalty benefits but they usually don't amount to much until you get to 10+ cruises.
  8. There are cruisers like us who are loyal only to our budget and desire to cruise often. We look for a combination of bargain prices, ports we like or have never visited, cruise lines and ships.

Enjoy the planning. When we look at some of the cruises and try to decide, we're like kids in a candy store:)

Charlie

I would suggest you stick with Carnival if that's what you and your daughter like. We've been on several different cruise lines(Celebrity, Cunard, Princess, RCL, Regent and some others now defunct) in additiion to Carnival. Nobody does the "high school pep rally" enthusiasm nearly as well as Carnival. If that's what you liked about your cruise, you won't find it anywhere else.

Archived