Just went to see the Rotterdam in Rotterdam

ciska40

Hi all,

I live near Rotterdam so this afternoon we went to see the Rotterdam in Rotterdam:p :p

I think the newer ships look nicer but The Rotterdam is special it's the Mothership of the HAL, About 20 years ago I spend a holiday on the Old Rotterdam with my parents still thinks it was the most wonderfull ship they ever had.

Ciska

Hi all,

I live near Rotterdam so this afternoon we went to see the Rotterdam in Rotterdam:p :p

I think the newer ships look nicer but The Rotterdam is special it's the Mothership of the HAL, About 20 years ago I spend a holiday on the Old Rotterdam with my parents still thinks it was the most wonderfull ship they ever had.

Ciska

Goeie avond Ciska, bet you can't wait until Rotterdam V gets her permanent spot in Rotterdam and opens to the public. She is currently in Gdansk, Poland, getting the asbestos removed. Should be a great place to visit (along with the Kuip and Feyenoord;) ) in Rotjeknor

Tot ziens!

Oh John... Rotjeknor..... haven't heard that word in decades!!!! BTW thanks for letting us sail along on the Prinsendam, enjoyed your reports tremendously

and relived our voyages on this beautiful Lady. Glad you had such a super time and cooperation from the weather.

Dag:

DAM ships are the best!

Are you in Zeeland or Zuid Holland Province?

:rolleyes:

Understandably we pay a little more attention on this site to the Holland-America Line due to the fact that it was originally a Dutch company, but now owened by Carnival Corporation. The HAL founded in 1873 as "Nederlandse Amerikaanse Stoomvaart Mij." [NASM] the oldest cruiseline in the world and taken over by Carnival Corp. in 1988.

The funds of the sales about $ 900 milj. are used by the van der Vorm family the owners to found an investment comp. under the name of "HAL-Investment" with financial interest in several kind of companies.

Although Carnival Corp. is now the owner of the old Dutch shipping comp., some Dutch aspects from the past are still noticeable. For example, passengerships have Dutch names ending on "dam", as when the company was fully owned by the Dutch. At that time names of freighter ships, mostly with a limited passenger accommodation, ended on "dijk" These days ships are sailing under Dutch flag and registered in Rotterdam-Holland again. The Veendam was the last one registered in The Netherlands on januari 2006. As in the past most service crew are from Indonesia or The Philippines and the officers, if available Dutch, or otherwise British. So you can understand that for Dutch travellers, cruising with the HAL is a little nostalgic.

Yes we can't wait to have the Rotterdam V back in Rotterdam. How do you all know so much about Rotterdam???????

Rotjeknor is only said by people from Rotterdam. Have you been visiting Rotterdam, and where did you all learn so good Dutch?????????????

Ciska

Yes we can't wait to have the Rotterdam V back in Rotterdam. How do you all know so much about Rotterdam???????

Rotjeknor is only said by people from Rotterdam. Have you been visiting Rotterdam, and where did you all learn so good Dutch?????????????

Ciska

Ik ben geboren in Amsterdam (sorry;) - geen fan van Ajax hoor) and hebt daar gewoond tot dat ik 18 was en emigreerde naar de VS/I was born in Amsterdam (sorry;) - no Ajax fan though) and lived there until age 18 when I immigrated to the States

Funny that you lived in Amsterdam are you Dutch or american? Ik vind het heel knap dat je nog zo goed nederlands spreekt. I think it's really good that you still speak so good Dutch. Its so funny when your on an american board and someone begins to speak dutch to you. Most americans don't even know where holland is. Only when we say amsterdam and tulips they know. When we speak dutch in America they always think we are from Germany really hate it when they say that.

I am a football fan but don't care if its Ajax or Feyenoor or Psv.

ciska

Funny that you lived in Amsterdam are you Dutch or american? Ik vind het heel knap dat je nog zo goed nederlands spreekt. I think it's really good that you still speak so good Dutch. Its so funny when your on an american board and someone begins to speak dutch to you. Most americans don't even know where holland is. Only when we say amsterdam and tulips they know. When we speak dutch in America they always think we are from Germany really hate it when they say that.

I am a football fan but don't care if its Ajax or Feyenoor or Psv.

ciska

I was born a Dutch citizen (parents were Dutch) but am now a naturalized US citizen

Geboren in Hawthorne Californie Nederlandse ouders. Getogen in Assendelft (Zaanstad) vlak bij Amsterdam. Verhuisd naar Californie 1979. Familie woont nog steeds in Assendelft.

Born in Hawthorne California to Dutch parents. Raised in Assendelft (Zaanstad) near Amsterdam. Moved to California in 1979.

Family still lives in Assendelft.

Doei.

Hup AJAX!!

Wow great John. Do you stil have your parents and do you still visit Holland.

he kletskop leuk dat je ook nog zo goed nederlands kan kom je nog wel eens in nederland of komen je ouders naar jouw toe? He kletskop funny that you still speak so good dutch do you visit your parents in the netherlands or do they come to america?

I think its so funny that there are so many dutch fooks that live in America or Canada and still speak so good dutch.

ciska

Wow great John. Do you stil have your parents and do you still visit Holland.

he kletskop leuk dat je ook nog zo goed nederlands kan kom je nog wel eens in nederland of komen je ouders naar jouw toe? He kletskop funny that you still speak so good dutch do you visit your parents in the netherlands or do they come to america?

I think its so funny that there are so many dutch fooks that live in America or Canada and still speak so good dutch.

ciska

Goeie avond Ciska/Good evening Ciska

Mijn ouders zijn in 2001 overleden. Ik stond vorige week Dinsdag nog op Schiphol. Heb nog vele (ouwe en nieuwe) vrienden in Holland, vooral bij de politie, mijn beroep hier, waar ik al twee jaar achter elkaar in kijkje in de keuken heb mogen nemen:)/My parents passed away in 2001. Just last Tuesday I was at Schiphol. I still have a lot of friends (old and new) in Holland, especially with the police, my profession here, where I've had a chance to look at how they do things two years in a row:)

Hello Ciska..... I too was born in the Netherlands, Den Haag, lived there 10 years before moving to Amsterdam where I also lived for about 10 years. Immigrated to Canada and the last time I was in Nederland was two years ago in August when my aunt turned 100 years. Great party with all my cousins and other relatives. My Mother's sister had your name, so it was Tante Ciska.

When I lived in Den Haag I quite often came to Rotterdam where friends of my parents lived. Their son worked for Holland Amerika and sailed on several of their ships, I remember the Maasdam was one of them. Also, my father lived in the USA and would not fly, so he always would sail from New York City on Holland America Line for a trip to the Netherlands.

I was in Rotterdam three years ago and found it a very nice city!!! Ik spreek nog heel goed Nederlands, altijd veel van talen gehouden. Dag hoor . . . . . .

HOi hoi,

Well john I think that the police force in America is so much better organised then the police in Holland. The police in Holland is so kind too kind sometimes. Especially when it concerns organised crime. We had a couple of imbeciels who are called the Hofstad groep maybe you've heard of them. It took them all day to get them out of a house. Funny that you've recently came to Holland.

I think it's great all of the former dutch people on this forum. I know there are a lot of canadians who travel with HAL who come from Holland. My parents also met a couple of them on several cruises with the HAL.

How nice that you went to holland for your aunt. Ciska isn't a commen name in Holland so I think it's very funny your aunt has the same name as me.

Ciska

Ik was vorig jaar nog in NL voor 2 weken. Mijn hele familie woont nog steeds in Nederland en komen hier ook vaak op vakantie. Ja ik spreek en schrijf nog steeds vloeiend Nedelands en zonder een accent. Met een Amerikaaans accent praten vind ik toch flauwekul. Mijn vader was geboren in Rotterdam. Hij was kok op de Holland Amerika Lijn de ouwe Maasdam (misschien de 1e Maasdam?)

Toen wij terug gingen naar NL (ik was maar een klein kereltje) gingen we via de Maasdam. Dat was in 1962.

Lachen zeg kletskop. Leuk dat je nog zo goed nederlands praat en dat je ouders hier nog wonen. funny that you still speak so good dutch and that your parents still live here.

Veel mensen uit Rotterdam hebben bij de HAL gewerkt. Mijn opa heeft er gewerkt voor de 2e wereldoorlog is naar New York gevaren en daar 1½ jaar gebleven en is toen amerika uitgezet. A lot of people who come from Rotterdam worked with HAL, my grandpa worked for HAL before the second world war and went to new york got off the ship and stayed there for 1½ years before he was sent out of the United states.

Ik ben geboren in 1964 dus we schelen niet zoveel denk ik. I was born in 1964 so were about the same age.

Ciska

Archived