Military Rates vs Perks

dougnliz

I have not been told that, but would have immediately asked "what extras" are we talking about...

Sounds like someone is blowing smoke up your funnel. Were you working with a TA or PVP, either way, time to switch to someone new.

Usually the money saved with a great rate can BUY lots of extras of your own choosing.

Has anyone been told that if you select the military rate you are not eligible for any promotions? I was told there were no "extras" with that rate.

About the only "extras" I can think of, that you might miss out on, are group amenities, if you were originally booked as part of a group. Sometimes Carnival offers specials, which might include an OBC, which you wouldn't get is you used the Military rate. IMHO, the money saved with the Military rate will exceed the value of the "perks", so go with the Military rate and pick your own "perks" with the money you saved.

My finace is ARMY and will be getting out in a day (:p SOOOO Excited:p ). We are getting married in march. I was wondering if you guys know if he would still be elligable for a military discount?

How long has he served? There is a length of time requirement.

Happy ETS!

My finace is ARMY and will be getting out in a day (:p SOOOO Excited:p ). We are getting married in march. I was wondering if you guys know if he would still be elligable for a military discount?

Yes, you guys would be eligible. The only thing required now is at least an honorable discharge.

Yes, you guys would be eligible. The only thing required now is at least an honorable discharge.

I believe there is a requirement of time in servic. If I'm not mistaken, the serviceman (or woman) must have served 2 years active duty and be honorably discharged.

I think you cannot use 2 promotions on one booking, so if you take military thats the only promotion you can use, and the best IMO if you can get it. I would always check it out with CCL. Coupon books come from TAs, We never got one from CCL. As far as perks go ???? You need to be platinum or booked in a suite.

I believe there is a requirement of time in servic. If I'm not mistaken, the serviceman (or woman) must have served 2 years active duty and be honorably discharged.

Yes, this has been the policy for the last year or so; however, at the end of July/ Beginning of August, they started requiring ONLY a copy of honorable discharge OR DD214 to receive military rates. Since the honorable discharge does not have time of service on it, it looks like they have waived their 2 years active duty restriction.

The military and/or Interline policy at Carnival is ever changing. In the last two years, military rate eligibility has changed from ONLY Active duty and retired to 2 years service to 2 years service or service over seas to honorable discharge.

I think you cannot use 2 promotions on one booking, so if you take military thats the only promotion you can use, and the best IMO if you can get it. I would always check it out with CCL. Coupon books come from TAs, We never got one from CCL. As far as perks go ???? You need to be platinum or booked in a suite.

Correct !

Just be aware that special rates, like Military, are capacity controlled and can be very limited to not even available on some cruises. Then sometimes they allow you to pass those savings on to everyone you know...

Just be aware that special rates, like Military, are capacity controlled and can be very limited to not even available on some cruises. Then sometimes they allow you to pass those savings on to everyone you know...

We booked our cruise through a PVP last year, and she said that passing along the discount went away at the start of 2006. That's too bad.

I called Carnival today, and they told me that it is indeed 2 years of asctive duty service with an honorable discharge. Lucky for us, my wife served 4 years! :)

Does anyone know what the policies are for CCL's sister cruise lines?

umm Kansas-

How long ago were you told this because I just booked a group cruise 2 weeks ago and military rates with Carnival still applies because I have one Gentleman in my group that is- however because he was getting a group rate with Amenities, he was not elgible for Military Discount....

Might want to double check that one.:p

tahiti

I tried to use the very attractive military discount when booking our MSC cruise through Vacations to Go but was not allowed to use the military discount in conjunction with their "2 sail for the price of 1" Christmas special. In the end, it was cheaper to forego the military discount and get charged the regular rate with the 2 for 1 deal. Of course, the rep wasn't about to tell me this -- I had to call and get pricing for both scenarios.

umm Kansas-

How long ago were you told this because I just booked a group cruise 2 weeks ago and military rates with Carnival still applies because I have one Gentleman in my group that is- however because he was getting a group rate with Amenities, he was not elgible for Military Discount....

Might want to double check that one.:p

tahiti

Just got off the phone with Carnival, the PVP said that we COULD NOT extend the military rate to people traveling with us. :(

Which in a way is correct... Either you go with one rate or another.. Basically you have military mixed in with non military cruisers??? Or all they ALL military???

Which is what the differential is...

At any rate- Just go with it, and have fun...

tahiti:D

Sometimes Carnival offers a military "friends and family" discount for up to 2 additional cabins when booking with someone receiving a military discount. We're military and our family has been able to receive the same military discount as us for our past 2 cruises together. You'll have to keep your eyes open for this promotion. I think the last time they did it this year was back in March. Good luck!

They seem to do this friends and family promotion about twice a year and the offer has an end date. Then its back to military rate for only the cabin the the qualifying person is in. By the way we got the military rate when husband had only 23 moinths of active duty, but he had overseas duty during war time.

Archived