problem getting travel insurance

N.Y.Cruiser

Hello everyone

I am trying to book the October 24th crossing back home to Southampton on the QM2 but because I am not a US citizen Cunard or any other US on-line agents can't provide travel insurance. I really need the insurance because there is a small chance our plans may change at the last minute. I have phoned several places to no avail.

Has anybody else encountered this or have any suggestions?

Many many thanks.

Nicola

I can't tell you what their rules are for non-residenta- the very first question on thier for is, are you a us resident/ non-resident. but I have used travel insured and felt good about them.

http://www.travelinsured.com/Default.aspx

I suppose you can try going through their online form

Karie,

Who wishes you the best

I just tried their online form, putting in 1500 per passenger and ages 35 and 35 and non resident and it gave me numerous choices thrugh something called Arch Insurance group and one additional choice stating for US citizens. The others did not specify.

Your travel agent should be able to insure you through travel insured.

Karie,

who has used them before!

Hello everyone

I am trying to book the October 24th crossing back home to Southampton on the QM2 but because I am not a US citizen Cunard or any other US on-line agents can't provide travel insurance. I really need the insurance because there is a small chance our plans may change at the last minute. I have phoned several places to no avail.

Has anybody else encountered this or have any suggestions?

Many many thanks.

Nicola

Nicola, don't know about the US, but in the UK travel insurance will not cover you for a change of plan at the last minute unless it's caused by illness (but not pre-existing conditions unless declared and accepted by the insurer), bereavement, redundancy, etc. You are very unlikely to be covered just because you've changed your plans due to work commitments, for example, or what insurers term 'disinclination to travel'. Just a bit concerned; every year many people come unstuck.

Mary

Hi everyone

Thanks to all who tried to help but it appears that we can't get insurance at all.

I have tried Cunard UK, their insurance company, Cunard US, their insurance company, three credit card companies, a local travel agent as well as several on-line agencies. Seems that to get the UK insurance you must be there for a month or so before travel (which obviously is impossible) and to get US insurance you must be a US citizen which I am not. We seem to be in no-mans-land. Even with the insurance, you were right, last minute cancellations are not covered, but we thought it might be safer to have basic insurance anyway, but we cannot get it.

So that's it. Thanks for all the help though.

Nicola

Citizenship has nothing to do with it.

Where do you live? That is, where is your primary residence?

The insurance you would need would be cancel for any reason, which only a handful of insurers offer. It is more expensive, must be purchased within a number of days of deposit (or full payment).. and it does not reimburse cash, only credit, to be used with the original booking agency within a year.. and the credit receivced is typically 80% of the fare paid.

Cunard UK don't offer insurance any more - at all. They used to use a company called Preferential Insurance. I spoke to them and they explained that we must be a resident of the EU country for longer than six months prior to the departure date to be eligible for their insurance. So we can't get UK insurance because we are currently residents of the US.

Cunard US wouldn't offer insurance because we're not US citizens. That's what they told me, several people, several times. They use Berkeley Insurance and I spoke to them and they confirmed the above. So we can't get US insurance because we are British citizens.

Another on-line travel agency confirmed the above but suggested I contact Travel Guard. Their response was that because our final destination is different to the starting destination that wouldn't be covered.

If we were coming back to the US we would be OK, but we are going home to the UK after 6 years in NY and that's what's causing the problem.

You can actually get an insurance that would cover you if you just decided not to go? I'm not surprised that's expensive!

We wouldn't 'just decide not to go'. Trust me I would be heartbroken to have to cancel this trip. But our situation is very complex and there may be a last minute date change that is out of our control.

I wasn't suggesting that you would. I was just astonished that one could buy insurance that would cover you if that were the case.:)

Hi Malcolm:

Yes, it is a US product. Cancel for any reason, they call it. Around 20% more money, and only reimburses 80%.... in credit not cash. There are limits as to how much your trip can cost. And it does have to be purchased within a set time from your initial trip deposit or full payment. Some people just have those types of lives.

In this case, I would advise the OP to forego the crossing back home if business is taking the number one priority unless they are willing to lose the money without complaint.

Archived