Airfare Price Drop

bigd332

Anyone that's sitting on the fence watching for cheap airfare better check on it now. I've been watching for airfare to MIA from MKE for our OCT cruise, it has been running btween $240 and $230 for the last 6 weeks. Checked it tonite, and it was under $200, needless to say no more waiting. I figured any under $200 to be a good price.

Wow. Lucky you!! I finally bought the airfare for my October cruise a few weeks ago. I paid $330. Don't know what I was thinking (it's too late to do anything about it!:eek: ), but I checked the fares this afternoon. Same flights were now $370. So, I guess I'm lucky I booked when I did, even though the fare wasn't cheap.

I've already paid for the air and hotel (Priceline). And, I've got the final payment to Carnival set aside. Now, I just have to save money for everything else, which seems absurdly high. :D Cruising seemed so much cheaper when I began in 1990. Airfare was always included, and I was too green to consider flying in a day in advance. Now, air is separate, and I usually fly in [color=red]two [/color]days before the cruise. Heck, if I'm flying to New Orleans, I sure as heck don't want to leave the next day! :cool:

Nina most people I talk to seem to feel that cruising is actually cheaper today than 10 or 15 yrs ago. The industry has had to endure the effects of the tragic 9-11 and the recession while going through the biggest expansion of ships the industry has every had. I just booked one of HAL's newer ships, balcony cabin, 7 days for $699 PC included. Ten years ago that probably wouldn't have gotten me an inside cabin on any major line. Of course, there weren't balcony cabins, to speak of, on cruise ships in 1990. Also air is so cheap overall that many of the major airlines are in or facing bankruptcy.

[color=Purple][font=Comic Sans MS]I just checked again, no change in price from either Lansing , Grand Rapids or Flint. Still running between $297 and $366. Guess I'll wait until the fare promotions are on for November. Shouldn't be much longer.[/font][/color]

I've been looking everyday for fare drop for our flight to San Juan from Las Vegas. Right now it is running between $501-$489. I would like it to go lower, but we still have a little time - Feb. Hopefully before then something will give. I was thinking about going on Priceline; we will be leaving a day or so early anyway. I'll give it some time, and keep checking.

[quote name='hdawson']Nina most people I talk to seem to feel that cruising is actually cheaper today than 10 or 15 yrs ago. The industry has had to endure the effects of the tragic 9-11 and the recession while going through the biggest expansion of ships the industry has every had. I just booked one of HAL's newer ships, balcony cabin, 7 days for $699 PC included. Ten years ago that probably wouldn't have gotten me an inside cabin on any major line. Of course, there weren't balcony cabins, to speak of, on cruise ships in 1990. Also air is so cheap overall that many of the major airlines are in or facing bankruptcy.[/QUOTE]
I don't really think cruising's more expensive. It's all the things I add on that makes it more expensive -- like two nights in New Orleans before the cruise. And, all that drinking, shopping & [color=red]eating [/color]I intend to do while I'm there. :D

The price of my first cruise in 1990 (solo on Royal Caribbean) was $1,000, and it included round trip airfare to/from San Juan. My upcoming cruise on Conquest (solo again) is $700 + 330 in air. So, it's roughly the same price. If you take inflation into account, it's actually cheaper now. Of course, on RCI, it would be more because of their single supplement. Thank goodness for Carnival's 1A's!

We have to get airfare for 5 so we are waiting for specials. You have to catch them. Last year my hubby checked 3 times a day for 3 weeks. We got round trip air for $189 each. Right now from Albany ny to Tampa it's about $255 pp. We have some time as we sail Nov 04. We also found that the closer you get to the actual date the cheeper the rates but it's hard to hold out for long. We just want to get everything paid for as soon as we can. But man! I hate waiting! Nov is too far away. I was ready to go about a month ago...lol

Archived