Post Cruise Air Departure

R&M

I am on an Empress of the Seas cruise that ends (docks at Pan Am pier) in San Juan at 7:00 am on 12/1/06. I am booked to fly out of San Juan airport at 10:10 am that same morning.

Has anyone had recent experience docking at or around 7:00 am and getting to the airport for an early flight? Please recount your experience. I don't need anyone's general opinions. You either have had the experience or you have not. Thank you.

We had some in our group get off the AOS by 8:00 AM, through customs and to the airport before 9:00 Am for a flight at 10:00ish. The airport is pretty empty so lines are minimal until later in the morning. Just be aware that if your ship is delayed or having problems clearing customs, etc... then you may miss your flight.

We had some in our group get off the AOS by 8:00 AM, through customs and to the airport before 9:00 Am for a flight at 10:00ish. The airport is pretty empty so lines are minimal until later in the morning.

That is WRONG!!! I was scheduled on an 8:30am flight coming back from San Juan and the airport was packed. It took us 1.5 hours to check in and get through security. Once we got to the gate, every single flight was overbooked. I ended up going out on a 12:30 flight and the airport only got worse, not better.

Anything before 11am is considered an EARLY flight by RCCL, and they don't recommend anything before noon. If at all possible, I would be changing that 10 am flight to something later.

Empty was probably not the right word, but my friends said it was the best experience they ever had getting through the airport in San Juan and they've been on numerous Southern cruises. They also fly United which has fewer flights and smaller lines compared to AA and Delta.

Personally, I am too worried about missing a flight and trying to rebook on packed flights, so we usually shoot for an early afternoon departure.

In the space of a month I flew into and out of San Juan, Miami, LAX, and DFW. San Juan had the worst lines to check in of them all - and we were on an early morning flight, because our cruise had actually ended the day before. Plus we flew home on the Sunday when Destiny didn't make it back into port so there was only 1 cruise ship instead of 2 like there should have been. Then security took us about 30 minutes. Of course, this was all after we'd had to wait in line to do the USDA check. And then got to the gate to find out all flights that day were overbooked.

Archived