Halifax. Can you help with Titanic Cemetery Question?

We are not doing a tour in Halifax, but I would like to try to visit one of the "Titanic" cemeteries either by public transport or on foot if one is more centrally situated than others.

I have tried searching on both CC and the internet in general, but despite spending a fair bit of time on it I have so far been unable to find out if its possible.

The main ones are Fairview, Mount Olivet, and Baron de Hirsch.

If you live in Halifax I would appreciate any info/advice you can give.

Thanks.

We are not doing a tour in Halifax, but I would like to try to visit one of the "Titanic" cemeteries either by public transport or on foot if one is more centrally situated than others.

I have tried searching on both CC and the internet in general, but despite spending a fair bit of time on it I have so far been unable to find out if its possible.

The main ones are Fairview, Mount Olivet, and Baron de Hirsch.

If you live in Halifax I would appreciate any info/advice you can give.

Thanks.

Mount Olivet and Fairview are both easy to get to using public transportation. I am not sure where Baron de Hirsh is located so I won't be able to help you with that one.

I would start by taking a bus to the Mumford Terminal (Halifax Shopping Centre/West End Mall ) and from there it is a very short walk (maybe 5-10 minutes) to Mount Olivet. The cemetary is located on Mumford Rd. The star on this map shows the exact location of the cemetary.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=Hemlock&city=Halifax&state=NS&zipcode=

The cemetary most people go to is Fairview. Here is a map to show their distance from one another.

http://ca.maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=Bayers+Road&csz=Halifax%2C+NS&country=ca&new=1&name=&qty=

From Mount Olivet you could walk to Fairview Cemetary (or take another bus). If walking I would take the following route:

Walk back to the bus terminal. Across the street from the bus terminal is Halifax Shopping Centre (it is clearly marked). There is a road alongside the shopping centre that will lead you to Bayers Road. Take Bayers Road to Connaught Ave. Fairview Cemetary is at the end of Connaught, by Windsor St.

As for what bus to take? I would take the number 9 (Barrington).

You can take it to the Mumford Terminal (from the port you would catch it in front of the Westin Hotel - the #9 travels along Barrington St).

You can also take it from the Mumford Terminal to Fairview Cemetary should you choose not to walk. And again from Fairview Cemetary back to Barrington St to get you back to the downtown area.

Here is a bus schedule:

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/Schedules/documents/route9.pdf

I would be in front of the Westin at the time that bus leaves Tower Rd. When catching it at Windsor St I would be there when it is leaving Mumford Rd. You will need to catch it on the side opposite from the cemetary.

Here is a route map:

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/Schedules/images/Route09.gif

Hope this helps. If you need clarification or have any other questions post away and I will be happy to assist :)

Autumn3, thank you so much for your very detailed reply....and so quickly that I did not even check the board yesterday!!

I had found addresses for 2 cemeteries and mapquest locations, also the public transport info, but was unable to put the info together in a way I could use. I find with mapquest that to get the detail big enough to read, the area covered is tiny, when making the area larger its unreadable! And the bus routes were useful only up to a point, which is why I thought a local person might be able to help.

Thanking you again.

Archived