Pride of Aloha 7-25-04 - first timer - questions

WeR3Angels

Hello all of you helpful folks.

After reading numerous postings, I still have a few of my own that I am hoping someone can direct me.

We arrive in Honolulu on a 4:15PM flight and the ship leaves at 8PM (same day). It appears that the dining room situation is one of the hurdles to handle. What would you recommend I do as far as reserving a dining seat for either the first night or the next night? (Had we been able to fly in the day before, we would have - just wasn't an option for us)

We are going with an "open mind" even after hearing the stories (good and bad).

One of the things we are considering is the Downhill BikeRide in Maui. We are not avid bike riders, however, we do know how to bike - any comments (good or bad).

I would also like to do some snorkeling either on our own or a tour on either Kona or Maui - any suggestions.

Lastly, I just phoned Delta to get seat assignments as I had done all of this via NCL. Well, the only flight that is a problem is our return flight home. We have the last row. We had this same row from a flight from Vegas to Pittsburgh and it was a nightmare. Flight attendents were banging things, giggling, etc. the entire flight. I have already phoned Delta to see if I had any options of changing, even to first class for a fee - NO - tickets are non-changeable. The plane has 2 seats on each side with 3 down the middle. I would have to guess that most couples are in the middle 3 seats and will stretch out. (can't blame them) Anyone know any tricks of getting better seats together? We are thinking of taking our pillows and earplugs.

TIA for any help. You can also email me privately if you would like.

WeR3Angels@aol.com

Barb

Barb:

You can always check with Delta when you arrive at the airport on the day of the flight. They will sometimes move you around to other open seats. Of course, it could mean spliting your party up. I was on the long Delta flight to Cincinnati from Honolulu just this week for my return trip. It left Honolulu at 7:30 p.m. and arrived at Cinicinnati at 10:00 a.m. (8.5 hours). I found that it was a very quiet flight. Everybody was sleeping and so the flight attendents did very little moving around during the flight. They served us a light dinner and beverages shortly after take-off and then most people went to sleep. About an hour before we landed, they served us a cereal breakfast and more beverages. The only thing I didn't like was the long extra day in Hawaii. (I know sounds strange.) But we had to check out of our hotel at 12 noon and then store our luggage until our transfer at 4:30. It left us 4.5 hours with really nothing to do but walk around. Couldn't swim because you couldn't change your clothes, really couldn't shop because your suitcases were packed. We ended up just walking along the park walkway at the north end of Waikiki.

I am putting together a list of suggestions/hints for the Pride of Aloha based on our 12 day trip. This will be in addition to my review. Hopefully I will have it all up on Saturday.

Barb,

I doubt if you have much of a problem with the dining on embarkation day. People will be wanting to eat at all different times. It seems that the main problem is right after the shows and you can avoid that time easily.

I've done the bike ride down Haleakula and it was great! I am not a biker at all and was really concerned. Just all balance and brakes!! I wish we could have stopped more to have good views but loved being in a group and not having to worry about traffic.

I would call Delta a couple of times and maybe you will get lucky. The airport is your best bet. The worst part about rear seats is if they don't recline on such a long trip. Even if you can get a couple of seats that are better maybe you could trade off for a couple of hours. Good luck.

I saw you question on another post and you are correct that their is no self service laundry on Aloha.

Guest nhrich

Barb, check the Delta web site as if you were booking the flight. When the list of flights comes up, you can click on the right side of the page next to your flight, and see what seats are available (if any).

If there are open seats, Delta should change them for you. If they won't, keep calling back until you get a rep that will change them. If there aren't any open seats, keep checking the web site on a daily basis. Otherwise, you'll need to check at the airport when you check in.

Rich

If you don't succeed in changing before you depart make sure you have the Delta agent do the return when you check in for the outbound. Airport staff usually has better access then Customer Service. They can book the next best thing to first class - an exit row. :)

Thank you so much.

That is the exact flight we are on.

I appreciate your help with suggestions - this has become harding than I thought. I have been trying to plan shore excursions but am wondering if I really need to have it faxed to NCL soon or it can just wait until we board. OR, do I just reserve the first day or so and then play the rest by ear.

Thanks a million - your time to help me is deeply appreciated.

Barb wer3angels@aol.com

Thanks for your help.

I saw a seating chart for this trip and it appears that there is a walk way behind our seats - not sure if that means they recline or not. Just made the assumption that they did but now am wondering. My hubby thought keeping us together in those 3 seats still may be the best option for this long flight as we could share the middle seat (if possible) and lean that way. I will try the airlines a few (hundred) more times before that day.

Thanks for clarifying the Non-existant laundry room. Will plan accordingly.

Still debating out the bike ride. After hearing someone say "A good day is when no one goes to the hospital" really made me wonder. I should be able to handle my bike but now beginning to wonder about the others. Did you plan your bike ride ahead of time or wasn't that necessary? Also, how many riders do you think were with you?

Thanks again.

Barb wer3angels@aol.com

Aloha WeR3Angels,

I can give you some advise regarding Shore Ex.

The downhill bike ride is one of the most popular shore ex activies on Maui. Its a slow pace ride in a single file line down the 12,000 foot mountain Haleakala. You stop every so often and check out the sights, take pictures, eat, etc. at the various altitudes. But, the best time to go is the really early one in the morning, because the highlight will be the sun rise. I would suggest that you sign up for that excursion early. I would say that this is a good excursion for non-bike riders!

As far as snorkling, Kona is the best place for that. The water in Kona is some of the clearest in Hawaii. You could either do an excursion from the ship or rent a car and go on your own to the various spots.

Also if you dont like the dinning experience on the ship. I would suggest that you do the LUAU in Maui. Which is a authentic Hawaiian feast and is really great for non locals. Also there is some great entertainment, like fire dancers and hula dancers!

I hope you have a good time!

Mahalo,

SSINDY

We are on the same cruise as you. Since this is your first time you will have a wonderful experience. This is our 10th cruise in 11 years. We love it and believe it is the only way to go on vacation. Enjoy Hawaii, it is a one of a kind paradise.

We did the bike ride down Haleakala too with the sunrise. Got to top of mountain at 4:00 am and waited for sunrise, then fitted with bike and off we went. I was very nervous even though I have ridden bikes my whole life. They put the women first, then the men. After the first 10 miles I began to get comfortable with it-maybe because I started to warm up! They do a safety stop after first two miles to check on everyone--It didn't seem like it had been even 5-10 minutes into the ride. Overall, it was great fun. It is a great ride, though we didn't do but a couple of stops the whole time. I am a big chicken and didn't look out much from my bike--I spent much time watching the rider in front of me.

My plane trip was business firstthis time, and even so, I only got about two hours of sleep on an almost 8 hour flight, but my last trip home from Europe had me in the last row and not with DH. All by myself, but in two seats. Of course they did not lean back and they are right by the bathroom, but at least it was two seats. The flight attendants were so nice to me for being stuck back there that they gave me a bottle of champagne to take home and offered me other freebies. They watched out for me I guess. When the airline books that last row and tell you they can't change you, I always worry that it is a fully booked flight and you won't have any spare seats. At least that has been the case twice when I have been the unlucky one in that row. I hate it because it doesn't lean back. If you have the avaiability to check in early on Delta, like a day ahead, do it and try to get your seat changed. I don't often get first class, so DH always tries to get us the exit row or bulkhead since it has extra leg room. Try to get the plane's layout then call. Some unfortunate soul gets those last seats when it is a full flight. Hopefully it won't have to be you if you call ahead and good luck!!

Archived