Just back POH 8/21 (detailed review)

luvmarley

????? This review as well as another and I just booked POH.

There are too many good reviews out there to scare me off!!! If you go with low expectations, then everything will be better than expected, right? We sail 9/18 and can't wait. We're going to see a lot of Hawaii vs. going on a cruise. Aloha!:p

Planning on taking the 9/25 cruise on POH. Any good news? Has service improved? Is staffing still an issue? I am a little nervous more than nervous with all the negative reviews and comments. The Travel Agent said she was promised staffing would improve mid-September - Maybe just in the nick of time?? I hope.:rolleyes:

There are too many good reviews out there to scare me off!!! If you go with low expectations, then everything will be better than expected, right? We sail 9/18 and can't wait. We're going to see a lot of Hawaii vs. going on a cruise. Aloha!:p

I don't know what's up with the cancelation mentioned, but don't go with low expectations, go with the attitude that you are going to have a great time! You will on Pride of Hawaii.

I don't know what's up with the cancelation mentioned, but don't go with low expectations, go with the attitude that you are going to have a great time! You will on Pride of Hawaii.

We are definitely going to do that - PRIDE OF HAWAII, HERE WE COME!!! We fly to Honolulu two weeks from tomorrow - Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Thanks for a very objective and honest review. I started a thread 'NCLA vs Princess' as we are scheduled for a cruise on POA April 2007, and were hesitant based on many of the reviews I have seen. Your review has made me feel more comfortable. Thanks again!:cool:

We have just returned from our first time to Hawaii and had a wonderful cruise on the POH...actually the worst part of the cruise were all the complaining passengers...but we were having such a great time and we had great service that we just ignored them (I think they are the ones who complain on this board as well). I was a little nervous reading all their posts (should believe everything you read, I guess) but turned out to be very unfounded.

We did forego the cruise excursions and had a rental car reserved at each port. We signed up for Thrifty Blue Chip membership and it turned out to be the best...what great service we received. It entitled us to be in the "express" check in line and that helped since we wanted to start our exploring right away. Keep an eye on the prices...we actually got ours down quite a bit by shopping around (a Jeep on Maui for $100 for two days--we thought that was good). Shuttle service to the car rentals was a little slow in our first port, Hilo...so bear that in mind-hopefully it will not be as slow. All other places we had no delays in the shuttles. In Maui we parked our car near the port--but remember, the later you come back to the ship...the farther you have to park away. We arrived back around 6 and we got the "last" parking spot near the molasses factory!

We did opt for Dollar Rent a Car on Kona because you just walked from the ship over to the hotel where the rental car was located. Another fyi...they open at 8...but make sure you are there right at 8. We talked to some people who arrived around 8:30 and waited two hours for a car...it is one person processing the rentals and they did not have a computer so imagine how slow that was. Also, we were warned that they run out of cars (I don't know how true that is especially if you have made reservations--a must) if you do not arrive early. I think, if we were to do it over, we might have taken a shuttle to rent again from Thrifty...they were great.

Hope you all have a great trip...we certainly enjoyed ours and my 350+ pictures help me enjoy it all over again. :cool:

We did forego the cruise excursions and had a rental car reserved at each port. We signed up for Thrifty Blue Chip membership and it turned out to be the best...what great service we received. It entitled us to be in the "express" check in line and that helped since we wanted to start our exploring right away. Keep an eye on the prices...we actually got ours down quite a bit by shopping around (a Jeep on Maui for $100 for two days--we thought that was good). Shuttle service to the car rentals was a little slow in our first port, Hilo...so bear that in mind-hopefully it will not be as slow. All other places we had no delays in the shuttles. In Maui we parked our car near the port--but remember, the later you come back to the ship...the farther you have to park away. We arrived back around 6 and we got the "last" parking spot near the molasses factory!

We did opt for Dollar Rent a Car on Kona because you just walked from the ship over to the hotel where the rental car was located. Another fyi...they open at 8...but make sure you are there right at 8. We talked to some people who arrived around 8:30 and waited two hours for a car...it is one person processing the rentals and they did not have a computer so imagine how slow that was. Also, we were warned that they run out of cars (I don't know how true that is especially if you have made reservations--a must) if you do not arrive early. I think, if we were to do it over, we might have taken a shuttle to rent again from Thrifty...they were great.

Thanks for the rental car insight - we sail 9/18 and have reserved through Thrifty and enrolled in the blue chip program. So glad to hear the positive feedback. We are so excited and car hardly wait!!:D :D :D :D

????? This review as well as another and I just booked POH.

The majority of the BOARD reviews (as opposed to the handful of reviews in the review section :rolleyes: ) have been positive for the past 3 months. Those that can only see the negative reviews probably are better off not going because they have already made up their minds to only see the negative.

An other constant pattern is the people that don't make reservations in the specialty restaurants and only eat in the main dinning rooms. From everything I've read that's just asking for trouble. I haven't gone on a cruise yet but I have found these reviews (both negative and positive) to be helpful.

The majority of the BOARD reviews (as opposed to the handful of reviews in the review section :rolleyes: ) have been positive for the past 3 months. Those that can only see the negative reviews probably are better off not going because they have already made up their minds to only see the negative.

An other constant pattern is the people that don't make reservations in the specialty restaurants and only eat in the main dinning rooms. From everything I've read that's just asking for trouble. I haven't gone on a cruise yet but I have found these reviews (both negative and positive) to be helpful.

Good points! The other thing I have noticed in the reviews and comments is that smaller groups (4 or less) seem to do OK in the dining rooms (at least in terms of wait time to be seated) if they eat early or late.

tomluvsaida: - you have been keeping up with all this so well! I am sure you will have a good cruise because you seem very prepared.

HOWEVER I expect to see a REALLY detailed review from you! ( *joking* - well sort of).

We are once again seriously considering POH for 2008 (or late 2007) - so I am reading every review.

Good points! The other thing I have noticed in the reviews and comments is that smaller groups (4 or less) seem to do OK in the dining rooms (at least in terms of wait time to be seated) if they eat early or late.

tomluvsaida: - you have been keeping up with all this so well! I am sure you will have a good cruise because you seem very prepared.

HOWEVER I expect to see a REALLY detailed review from you! ( *joking* - well sort of).

We are once again seriously considering POH for 2008 (or late 2007) - so I am reading every review.

I'll be happy to write one!......after our Honeymoon! (I guess I'll have to leave out some details.:D).

• 5 months later...

Archived