Alaska on SUN PICS here!

darlong

Hi there...as I overcome jet lag I am slowly getting our cruise stuff sorted.

It was wonderful, and you can see some examples here...

http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v46/darlong/Alaska%20trip/

Post any questions, DH is preparing the freestyle Dailies as PDF files for those who wish to have them in a manageable format.

Dar

Missing the Sun and Alaska

Hi Dar...

Thanx so much for the link to your photo album. You look like a fun bunch of cruisers.

When I think of how foggy it was.. yet your photos are still beautiful I can imagine how incredible a bright sunny day would be like there.

Your photo captions cracked me up too LOL

If you ever put any more pics together please let me know I would love to see them.

I have a couple of questions :D

Did you get a boxed lunch on the train trip and what was it like?

My Dad is not a steady walker.. he can't go too far without getting winded. I was wondering about the walk to the Lumberjack show and/or the walk to the train in skagway, or the buses in wrangell and even the Canada Place Terminal.. is it a huge walk to board?

I would love to read the freestyle dailys when you get then converted to PDF's my email is cass@casshew.com

I noticed your photos in the Limo :) I have booked 3 limo transfers, we are going to Whistler for a few nights after the cruise.

Thanx for all your help

Cassie

Hi Cassie, thanks for the kind words aboout the pics. I have a whole pile, I just wanted to get some early ones up.

I did not get a boxed lunch on the train. WE took the short ride combination train, bus, and Liarsville gold camp. The train ride was a little over an hour and then we went over the boarder to Frasier BC, where we boarded the bus that went back. A slightly different route, and there would have been other photo ops, but for the fog.

I could have ordered a take away lunch from the ship, but did not.

My f-in-law is the same. Cardiomyopathy complicated by narcolepsy. There IS no walk to the train in Skagway. IT either boards right there by the dock or they take you by bus to the station. (a 2 minute drive). If he can walk off the ship to the end of the dock to meet the people with the signs he should be fine. The lumberjack show is 2 very very short blocks away. I am talking you can see the ship from there. The key is to walk/rest/walk/rest...there are many seniors doing the same thing. Although the combination of the clear air and whatever they put in the air meant that my f-in-law's health dramatically improved while on the cruise. He was less short of breath, less sweaty, less puffy, he walked more, ate better, slept better, etc. He had no problem.

When you get to Canada Place and go through the garage and walk into the terminal towards the NCL check in, you will see some NCL attired "scouts" to guide travelers. Grab one and tell them you are travelling with a senior with health issues. They led us through the crowds, through the lines right to our own check in person and after going through customs...we were on board. If you ask and make your needs known (chair etc) they will help. WE arrived at the terminal about noon. I would advise a few minutes ealier if you are travelling with someone who may need the time/help. This also meant we were well on board by the time regular boarding was set to begin at 1 and missed the crush and crowds. People with health issues often need a little more time to settle in and get accustomed to the new surroundings, another reason for earlier boarding.

Wrangel...we ditched our bus tour...you can walk the entire town in 10 minutes. But if you wanted to see the beach or do the country tour then the bus will pick you up about 200 meters from where you walk off the ship. They have staff with signs, they meet you as you walk off...IT's all right there. I loved Wrangel. Some say it's a nothing stop. If you are looking for yet another Diamond International, Del Sol and 32 jewelry shops? It's not for you. Kids selling rocks from the garnet mine with rough garnets, local artists actually working on their stuff, small shops owned by the people working in them? This is the place. Sign outside the Elks lodge/diner/local bar "The Elks Lodge Welcomes The Norweigian Sun". The Sun is the only ship that calls here and has been doing so just this year. Unspoiled, fun, and wonderful is Wrangel. My favourite port for walking around.

WE had such a large group (8) we ended up using a Limo Bus which was fantastic and was better in the end than splitting us up. The limo bus service was great, and they can hold up to 20! I have the number if you are interested. I will get DH to work on the Freestyle Dailies and other stuff.

My kids are desperate to go back as are my in laws. f-in-law says the air and the ship (he loved the ship) made him feel 10 years younger.

I hope your crew has the same wonderful experience!

Hi Darlong,

Thanks a lot for putting up your photos! We're doing the last run 9/19 on the Sun. Can only imagine what the weather might be given your "summer" photos!:eek: I am looking forward to seeing the Dailies as you're the only one so far who has offered. Pls thank your husband in advance for the huge effort.:D

A couple of questions. What is the "country tour" and "bus" you are referring to in Wrangell? Where is that swinging bridge in your photos? Were the totems pix taken in Ketchikan and did you go there on your own? (If so, what's the best way?) It seems combining the train with the bus in Skagway gives you a better tour - is that the "Best of Skagway" NCL tour?

Did you arrange a CC meeting through NCL in advance? So far we only have a couple of people on our roll call, but maybe things will pick up! Looks like a fantastic trip and I like the extended hours of the port calls compared to some of the other ships.:)

Have you & your family tried the Dawn yet? If you like the Caribbean, it's the way to go!

Hiya Barb!

We took the Saxman Native village tour in Ketchikan. This was incredible. You watch a short video that explains the history of the clan and then visit a Clan house and get to see a welcome pot latch dance. Then you go to the carving shed and see them working on totem poles. There are totem poles there and you hear the stories behind them...the whole thing was great. The gift shop is great as well with some very unique items I did not find anywhere else. I think the Saxman tour (booked through the ship) is 36.00 or so...we were met on the dock by the tourguide/driver. The tour was run by Gray Line which is a division of HAL.

The bridge you see in my pics is the Capilano Bridge in Vancouver...it is in North Vancouver about an 18 dollar cab ride from downtown. It is on Grouse Mountain and has local totem poles as well as carvers and dancers and a drumming circle. You go across the bridge and there is also a tre top walk. They also feature a small patio cafe area and it is an inexpensive trip, and quite spectacular. We saw Bald Eagles soaring off the ravine. Only half of our group went over the bridge the others found lots to do on their side...as they were too scared! : )

Wrangel tours include a few adventure type selections (Jeep, jet boat etc) and a city bus tour (Museam, beach, town) and a country Bus tour (Golf course, churches and beach).

Our weather was pretty cool/rainy according to the captain...but truthfully? I did not notice. It was not a big deal except when we got fogged in for White Pass...even then I stood out on the train platform and got some interesting shots!

I brought a heavy sweater, a fleece, my goretex coat, gloves, hat, and a sweatshirt. Between all of these things I was ready for everything so I loved the sun, was amazed by the fog and mist, stayed dry in the rain, and generally enjoyed each day. Hope this helps.

Hi darlong,

I was really worrying about the logistics of travelling with my Dad.. but I hoping like you said, the fresh air and fun will perk him up!

I booked a wheelchair for Toronto and Vancouver with the airline, I have booked a limo to meet us at Vancouver to deal with the luggage.

When you arrive at the cruise terminal are there porters right there to take the luggage straight away?

I also requested a wheelchair with NCL for the terminal... so hopefully everything will go smoothly. It is funny when your parents become like your kids all of a sudden!

Thanx for all the info on the ports, maybe we will ditch the bus tour in wrangell, it's just the next day is at sea so we might as well get off the ship and do something.

If I think of more questions.. I will be back :D

Cassie

Yes your limo is met by porters etc...be sure to have your luggage tagged properly. there is a guy at a desk with updated cabin numbers in case you had a last minute upgrade. Check with him and he'll confirm things...then they take your luggage away. I think the airlines and cruise co will handle the wheelchair stuff well. My f-in-law is too stubborn to use one although it would make things easier for him. If you have more questions ask away.

Darlong,

We will be on the Spirit 9/18 and have a question. If we book the Skagway train directly with the company will we be on the same train as those that book onboard? We have family cruising on the RCCL Radiance and we want to meet up with them to take the train ride. If we book direct, how far of a walk is it to the main terminal. I can't tell from the NCL site if they are going to charge us for our 5 mo. old granddaughter. If NCL charges we will book with the train, as their info. states that infants are free. Can you move between train cars? I hope this makes sense. Thanks for all your help

Archived