How formal on Spirit?

p0mpey

The suitcases will see daylight tomorrow as we begin packing for our 9/6 cruise on Spirit. I have seen several comments about how Alaskan cruises are less formal than Caribbean ones. Do people still dress for dinner every night? And what about formal night? I always felt that one couldn't overdress for formal night because there has always been the whole range. Is this still the case on Spirit?

Thanks for any help with the dreaded packing.

Just follow the same protocol as you did with the Elation. Unlike, some of the other cruise lines carnival is not extremly strict about their dress code. Formal night should be dark suit for men and cocktail dress for women, non-formal, button up shirt, slacks and maybe a sportscoat for men and casual dress or pant suit for women. Have a great cruise we just returned from the Caribbean, Carnival Glory. Starting to plan next cruise to Alaska, can't wait:)

We were on the Spirit last month; I didn't see a single tuxedo the whole trip, and only a few "dressy" dresses. Dinner dress was definitely more relaxed than any other cruise I've been on. Typically I saw men wearing khakis and a tie, and women wearing pantsuits or skirts to dinner. There was also a real mix of more summery resort-wear and khakis/sweatshirts/sweaters. It was kind of like anything goes!

There were some men in tuxs, maybe 15%, their ladies were also often in long sparkly dresses. Most men wore dark suits, many women wore beaded tops over a long skirt some shorter coctail dresses. A few wore less formal than that but they did look out of place.

We were on the Spirit in January to the Mexican Riviera. The formal nights were a sea of formal dresses, suits & tuxes. The rest of the week no tees or shorts in the dining room at dinner, but did see lots of nice jeans.

We are going on Princess to Alaska and definitely are packing my formals and my husband's tux. Our friends are doing the same. We really enjoy dressing up.

You will love the Spirit, it's an awesome ship. Know you will love the cruise to Alaska too. Have a wonderful time.

Thanks everyone. Just brought the cases out of the attic. Now the excitement is really setting in......and the questions...will we need this?....how cold will it be? You know what I mean. As I said to DH whatever we end up taking will work just fine.....altho' I will end up worrying more 'cos I am the cold one. Caribbean packing is so much easier!....and lighter!:)

We'll see you on the Spirit in a couple of days!

I'm taking some travel ready knit pants and tops for formal nights (a'la Laura Ashley) Slinky knit type things, black, and mix and match. My husband has a dark suit.

I can't wear heels and I HATE the way dresses look on me with flats, so I'm sticking with the pant suits in the dining room.

Ifloat,

Sounds like a plan. Wish I was so organized:) I gave up on packing because it was like trying to fit a quart into a pint into the suitcase (DH says he has never heard of that saying but I think you will get what I mean). Will have to do better tomorrow. When do you leave for Vancouver? We leave early Monday morning. We are driving up to Whistler for that night and then back to Vancouver for Tuesday night. Staying at the Marriott downtown. Not long now.

BTW I use to love Laura Ashley but I don't think we have any here in Dallas any more. My very first formal dress was L A many years ago:)

Monday Morning we are flying from Chicago to Seattle standby. We have buddy passes from my sister who works for the airlines. Looks like we might get first class this time, the loads are light.

We will meet up with my daughter and her fiance in Seattle, rent a car, and drive together to Vancouver. We're staying at the Westin Bayshore, which I got on Priceline for $62 a night.

The rest of the family is flying from Phoenix and will meet us in Vancouver, or on board the Spirit.

Have a great cruise!

We are flying standby as well, out of Dallas. My friend and I both work for the airline. Yes first is nice. Hopefully we will get first too, at least on the outbound flight.

When did you book the Westin? We were hoping for the Westin too but I think we left it a bit late to start bidding. After at least a month of trying we finally got the Marriott Pinnicle which is also 4 star and in the same area I believe. However we are paying $80.00. Oh well....guess we should have started bidding when we first booked the cruise back in January. We will know for next time.

I believe you are also doing Captain Larry's whale watching aren't you? Oh well back to packing. Haven't tackled it yet today and can't put it off for much longer.

Happy cruising!

Archived