Captain's party and Mariner's Party details

happy cruzer

We were on the Statendam to Alaska and the captain was Pieter Bos. After all of the announcements of the medal recipients and pictures, he opened it up for questions. He would even walk around with the microphone so that the pax asking quesions could be heard.

On another note about our captain - There were books available for purchase explaining the route we were taking through the Inside Passage. Captain Bos offered to sign them. He would be outside one of the shops at a certain time for autographs and if someone didn't want to wait in line, just drop the book off at the front desk. One time I saw a pax stop him in the hallway and he signed the book.

He would often make running commentaries about the location of whales and other wildlife around the ship. He was one of the most visible captains we have ever had.

On our last cruise on the Veendam they had the captain's party - by invitation only and apparently for those with 100 days and more - between the two sittings for dinner. Since we were at the early sitting it was poor timing for us - we certainly didn't want to eat or drink anything more. It was great for the late sitting as they could have a pre-dinner drink and nibbles. I noticed that one man would chat with the captain the whole time and everyone else just stood around. I thought the captain would circulate more.

At the mariner's do we were in a section that got one drink and no nibbles - even waves by people were ignored - other sections were served 3 times. Poor organization.

Archived