Getting into Bruges

JudyA.

Does ANYONE know how to get into Bruges from the port terminal at Zeebrugge? For some reason, I can't find this information anywhere online. I know there is a train, and I am resonably sure it follows there is also bus service, but I can't seem to find out from any website (including the official website of the port of Zeebrugge and the official website for tourism in Bruges, or Virtual Tourist or Trip Advisor) this apparently TOP SECRET info. :confused:

I posted on Cruisemates to see if anyone could help me, but all I got was some nice (but misguided) folks telling me to take the cruise ship transportation called "Bruges on your own".

I do not want to do this (not just because I don't like to overpay for things) but also because I don't want to come back to the ship when the shuttle does. I know Zeebrugge is a port terminal for ferries from Scotland, so there simply MUST be some kind of mass transit outlet nearby, right? Can anyone help me ??

Judy A.

P.S. - I really want to get to Bruges using mass transit only, no taxis. If possible.

Thanks Ine !

I guess we'll try to find a taxi to Blankenberge, and take the train to Bruges from there. We've been to Bruges twice before, so I know how enchanting it is, and how delicious the chocolate and the pommes frites ! But I didn't know how to get into town from the port of Zebrugge without taking a taxi. I guess it cannot be done. We'll have to take a taxi to Blankenbirge, which is the train station with more options. But at least we won't have to take a taxi all the way into Bruges, which I knew would just not be necessary.

Thanks again for posting that thead.

Judy

A taxi is not necessary. We enjoy taking "local" transportation whenever possible -- and also enjoy walking. The walk from the ship to the train platform (no train station) to catch the train to Brugges is 1.3 miles -- which takes about 20 minutes of brisk walking. Turn left as you get off the ship and then gradually bear right. The walk includes a portion of an overpass; traffic was almost non-existent. You're heading for the large light-colored rectangular commercial building (ATM in the back, outside, next to the post office) in the distance. The beach will be on the right of the road as you walk into town; the train platform on the left of the road, accessed by a pedestrian tunnel.

On our cruise last month, the Insignia docked at Zebrugges on a Saturday; trains ran hourly on the half hour. Buy round trip tickets onboard from the train conductor, who only takes euros and credit cards. When debarking in Brugges, make note of which platform you need to be on for your return. It looked like we debarked on either #1 or #2(??). Our return was on #3. A display in the middle of the main hall shows train arrivals on one side and departures on the backside.

We saw probably a dozen or so cruisers who took this route to visit Brugges. Brugges is magical. Plus we enjoyed the trek from the ship!

Unfortunately -- no map. We were in the exact situation as you -- with the gut feeling that there had to be a way! Even the Zebrugges port, responding to my email inquiry, advised that we take a taxi to the train.

A tourist information rep came onboard at each port the Insignia visited. The Zebrugges TI rep offered only a map of Brugges and her advice was brief: the walk was 1.3 miles, walk toward the "big white house", the conductor only took euros. We were thrilled -- it could be done! We found out the rest of the details ourselves.

The total price for two people, round trip was 6.40 euros -- what a bargain! We forgot to ask for a senior discount, which they may or may not offer.

Thank you very much for the information! 1.3 miles is not far at all, and as long as I know it can be done, we will find a way to do it. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my inquiry. We really actually enjoy walking around to find places and taking mass transit like the locals, rather than taking the cruise ship "Bruges on your own" type thing. It makes it much more of an adventure.

Where are you plannning to go on your next trip? If I have been there I will try and reciprocate with some tips for your destination.

Thanks again!

Judy

My husband has chimed in with these directions (can you tell he's got a degree in engineering?!):

The close-in map is http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=print&X=355000&Y=6647000&gride=&gridn=&scale=25000&coordsys=mercator&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&place=&width=600&height=500&db=BE&keepicon=true

The ship docked along the ALBERT II-LAAN road, not more than about 1/2 mile from the elevated traffic circle. We crossed the traffic circle, moving south, and a bike path opened up, which we followed. Don't make the mistake of trying to cut across the ship and trainyards instead of going around the traffic circle - you'll be stopped by some fences. Just stay on the bike / pedestrian path by the side of the BARON DE HAERELAAN street. You'll see the beach on your right, and a little row of hotels and shops. When you get to them, you'll have to cross the street to get to the train stop. There's a pedestrian tunnel that cuts under the road and comes out at the tracks.

Your "adventure" type of travel is what we love, too.

In case your interest includes bicycling, we rented bikes in Copenhagen. I have given up on bicycling in our suburb -- basically timid out of safety concerns; my husband on the otherhand thoroughly enjoys his bikes. But Copenhagen -- even in congested city traffic -- was fabulous! The pervasive bike lanes and bike traffic signals and bike culture make all the difference (I drool with envy)! We took shelter in an outdoor cafe at a busy square and sipped hot chocolate while watching the locals bike by in the rain. Noteworthy among many were beautiful fashionably dressed young women in pointy heels; also one-handed steerers (the other hand holding an umbrella). It was raining heavily in Amsterdam so sadly our plan to bike a second time didn't work out.

We'll be keeping our antennas up regarding a future cruise -- open to just about any foreign destination that we haven't been to before. If you decide to write a review of your upcoming trip, we'd love to see it!

Bike riding is just what we are going to do in Bruges! There is a place to rent bikes, and there is a nice bike ride to a nearby town, and then we are going to take a boat (with our bikes) back. Doesn't that sound like fun?

We have rented bikes in Lucca (Italy), Krakow, Munich, & St. Lucia. I think it is a great time! On this upcoming trip, I think we might also bike ride in Tailinn - but I have to find out more about that first.

I do in fact write a travel narrative after we come back from every trip. They are a little long to post here and don't contain a lot of practical information. They are more for my friends/relatives to read. But if you really would like to read my travel narrative, email me at judyandrobb@peoplepc.com and give me your email address -- I will be happy to email you our narrative from this cruise. Warning: they can be lengthy!!

I started writing these travelogues after our very first trip abroad (A Renaissance cruise to Greece, Egypt, Israel & Turkey). And I've done it for every trip since and now I have a positive BOOK. I had to go out and buy a larger binder. :)

I am so glad I have made the effort to write these out (I haven't always felt like doing it), so that we can re-read it when we get older and are too old to go anywhere!

Thanks for the great map & directions. I printed them out and will have them with me when we get off the ship in Zeebrugge !

Judy

P.S.

Do you have a tortoise for a pet ?

The bike/boat ride you've planned for Brugges sounds like great fun! An especially nice way to visit the city since you've already been there before. This will be on our to-do list if we ever return.

The adventure and biking perspectives in your travels are a priority for us, too. All the wonderful places you've listed, except for St. Lucia and Greece, would be new to us -- so we'd love to see your narratives, even better that they're long! I'll email you shortly with our address.

p.s. Turtles like to sun themselves on rocks in the lake behind our home -- amazingly they seem to be thriving in this suburb of Los Angeles! When registering sometime ago at another site for a user name, everything I offered was rejected as already taken. There might have been a glitch at the time. In exasperation, I came up with largeturtle -- and it was finally accepted.

Archived