Dawn 'free' restaurants

mberli

I'm sure you're probably bored with answering this one, but I haven't been to these boards in months, and the people on them are great.

We're going on our first cruise with NCL January 28th on an 11 night to the Western. We'll have my 94 yr old mother in law with us. The BW is concerned that we won't be able to make a reservation for the entire cruise at the same time each night, and possibly the same table.

She also thinks that the menu is the same every day in the free restaurants. Is that the case, and can you help us with your choices for the best of the 'free' restaurants?

Thanks in advance.

Mel

There are three included dining rooms on the Dawn - Venetian, Aqua and Impressions. They all serve the same menu each night, but the menu changes from night to night. The Venetian is the largest with a grand, opulent ambiance. It's also the noisiest of the three.

Keep in mind that Salsa (Tex-Mex) and La Trattoria (Italian) do not carry surcharges but do require reservations. Both are worth checking out in addition to the main dining rooms. Their menus are the same throughout the cruise.

The BW is concerned that we won't be able to make a reservation for the entire cruise at the same time each night, and possibly the same table.

She also thinks that the menu is the same every day in the free restaurants. Is that the case, and can you help us with your choices for the best of the 'free' restaurants?

Thanks in advance.

Mel

If you book specialty restaurants, you can dine at the same time each night and if you book the same specialty restaurant, you might be able to get the same waiter each night.

The Free Restaurants are Versailles, Aqua and Impressions. They are all about the same and all three will serve the same thing each night but the menus will be diferent each day. (one day Carribean, one day "gala dinner", etc.)

The free restaurants do not take reservations except for large parties (of 8 or more) and, although you can request the same waiter, he may not be available on some nights or waiting for him or her may mean an extra wait. We have a waiter that we really loved and on our last night, he was assigned as a "fill in" and did not have his own tables.

If you go to dinner early each night (before 6:00 p.m.) you shouldn't any wait at all and are far more likely to be able to get the same waiter each night.

My favorite main restaurant on the Dawn is Impressions. Ask for Julito, the maitre'd and explain your situation, he may be able to set you up because he is a great guy!

(Two of the specialty restaurants, LaTrattatoria (Itlalian) and Salsa (Tex-mex) are free but require reservations.)

Thanks for the quick comeback. Is it easy to find your way around the ship, and how is the entertainment? Same time for the shows each night?

It's a relatively large ship, but I think it's fairly easy to navigate. I think the Dawn's entertainment is pretty good. The shows are typically at 7:30 and 9:30 each night, but there are a few exceptions. Always check your Freestyle Daily for the exact schedule of the entertainment.

Just a minor correction. Versailles is the corresponding dining room on the Star; Venetian is the one on the Dawn.

Oops....been on the Star twice and that name is stuck!

mberli: the ship is easy to negotiate. Just learn where the three elevator banks are (forward, mid and aft) and you will have an easier time of it. Most of the public areas are on Decks 12, 7 and 6.

There are usually two shows each night. 7:30 and 9:30. There is only one show time on the last night. (a passenger talent show.)

If I remember correctly, the pictures in the elevator & stairwell areas were themed differently by location, so you had a visual clue as to where you were- forward, middle or aft. I think the middle stairs/elevators had pictures of Marilyn Monroe (M for middle and Marilyn Monroe), the forward had flowers (F) and the aft had sunsets (the end of the day and the end of the ship). This theme held true for each deck. Does anyone remember if this is correct or am I confusing ships (again)?

The only deck with cabins that's a little confusing is Deck 8, which isn't quite straight and has the Salsa restaurant (which you may have to walk through to get to your cabin). Also, the Blue Lagoon (fast food restaurant) and the Pearly King's Pub (Deck 7) are also hallways (to get to the shop in the back). And Deck 6 is a little confusing because a large area is the galley; sometimes you have to go up to go down. But after saying all this, I do think the Dawn is easy to get around, especially for a large ship.

You've picked a great ship for your first NCL cruise. We were on her 1/2006 and had a marvelous time. Lynn

Archived