?? about the HAL TV network in cabins...

mlmagic

Dummy ?? I am sure, but I have not cruised except Princess and only once. Was wondering if in the cabin they have the brigde cam station with the nice soft music in the background. We loved this on Princess, was nice atmosphere...also, does the Capatain/crew communicate to guests in the room by TV ie: announcments, etc. What kind of programs in cabin are there onboard. Thanks, just wanted to know if we needed to bring our cd player.

mlmagic

mimagic,

First of all welcome to this HAL Board and your first cruise with HAL. I am sure you will love it.

To answer your first question, yes there is the Bridge Cam with the soft music that you can listen to and watch on the T.V.

Usually at noon or perhaps 1pm each day, the Captain makes an announcement to let us know where we are at. Also if something important crops us you can hear it on the T.V. or out in the passages.

The programmes on T.V. are CNN, perhaps a Sports station if it is available plus the usual programmes such as movies, repeat of lectures given in the lounge or if the C.D. has given a talk etc. Very much the same as when on Princess.

I may have left a few programmes out so I am sure that someone else will be able to fill in the gaps.

Jennie

There is, indeed, a bridge cam with music; you can also mute the sound and listen to the several different music channels on the audio system. You can hear announcements in the cabin, although you won't hear many unless you really want to.

There's also an in-house tv channel where you can watch things like the disembarkation talk over and over until you know the old jokes as well as us regular HAL cruisers. There's also the ever-exciting time, temp & weather channel, plus a HAL cruise video channel. They have CNN, some cable movie channel (maybe two) plus an in-house movie channel and maybe some others; I don't watch them much.

There's also the new Verandah Cam, which is swung out from the Sky Deck. It pans the verandahs looking for, uh, sunbathers. Pay channel. ;)

Not sure if the other ships have them (come on guys!) but Prinsendam has both a forward facing "bridge cam" plus an aft facing "wake cam" located near the Lido deck on the lookout for Russian subs;)

As has been said, CNN (in Europe, you get the European version with that limey dude, Richard Quest and the hottie weather girl, Jennie;) ), one or two movie channels (one being American Movie Classics), a channel that plays sitcoms, some of them pretty ancient like "Green Acres daahhing" and Gilligan's Island (always a great show to play on a cruise), a "Scan Display" channel with info about the ship, weather/sea conditions, "know your ship", "Meet the officers", etc., a HAL promo channel that shows various cruise venues where HAL cruises in an effort to wet your appetite and have you double-time it to the on-board future cruise consultant's desk, a couple of in-house channels that repeat crew shows, the disembarkation talk, Shorex presentations, the ever popular video/DVD of the cruise you're on in an effort to have you buy same and never watch again (OK, maybe once:rolleyes: ).

Depending on where you're at in the world, sometimes your TV will pick up a local channel and all of a sudden, you'll see "Murder she wrote" in Spanish "Hola, Senora Fletcher, donde esta la biblioteca?" "Buenos dias, Senor Magnum, en la Calle Ocho en Miami, manos arriba por favor rata grande" I'm probably forgetting some but those are the ones that come to mind. A mind is a terrible thing!

Tom, thanks much for the heads up about the night vision equipped verandah cam. I thought that verandah and that couple on TV looked very familiar one evening but couldn't quite place it; now I can - understand that camera tapes also and the tapes are broadcast nightly in the crew bar:o

Hey thanks guys for all the great info, it sounds like Princess was on our first cruise. I know it may sound silly, but I really enjoyed the music/cam station and weather display's with the music, made me feel like I was really on an important trip somewhere:p Those little details are nice. Thanks, I guess most cruise lines have all this, after my 10th voyage,or so I will be good and seasoned...:D

mlmagic

Let me tell you, the Verandah Cams on HAL are not that exciting. You're not exactly looking at "Girls Gone Wild" videos. It's more like "People Gone to Pieces." Besides, that channel is only available in the brig, as part of your punishment. It's "Here's What You Will Look Like When You Are 80: View And Weep."

:p

Let me tell you, the Verandah Cams on HAL are not that exciting. You're not exactly looking at "Girls Gone Wild" videos. It's more like "People Gone to Pieces." Besides, that channel is only available in the brig, as part of your punishment. It's "Here's What You Will Look Like When You Are 80: View And Weep."

That is hilarious...I laughed ROL!! Thanks, ask a ?? get an answer and a better one to boot!! :p

mlmagic

Hi mlmagic:

No need to bring your CD player with you since the cabins have flatscreen T.V.s with a combination CD/DVD player underneath them.

You can rent DVDs for $3.00 (unless you are in a suite and then they are free) or you can bring your own, as I do.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Valerie:)

Hi mlmagic:

No need to bring your CD player with you since the cabins have flatscreen T.V.s with a combination CD/DVD player underneath them.

You can rent DVDs for $3.00 (unless you are in a suite and then they are free) or you can bring your own, as I do.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Valerie:)

Thanks Valerie...

Archived