Crown 8/25 cruise, my take

beachmonger

We are just back from the 8/25 sailing of the Crown. This was our second cruise, our first being on Celebrity last August. Though I have not posted very often, I have been following the Crown on this board since before she was built and would like to thank everyone for all their input as it helped quite a bit.

Embarkation: We were dropped of at the pier at 10:30 and were one of the first groups to board and were in our room just after 11 AM. And the buffet soon after that.

Stateroom: We were in Riviera 508, an inside cabin, one of six that run in the opposite direction of the rest of the ship (I believe the only difference is where you enter the room). We really liked the set up, as we didn’t feel cramped as we did on the Celebrity last year. We like the inside room because we are hardly ever there.

Food: I would give the food a “Good” rating, nothing special nothing bad, both in the dining room and the buffet. We had anytime dining and ate in the Michelangelo dining room. The first nite we were seated at table 233, a table for 4, as our friends were sailing with us. This table is situated next to a huge window and with the 6:15 seating came with a beautiful view of he sunset, so we reserved it for the rest of the cruise.

As my wife LOVES hazelnut cappuccino, I purchased the coffee card. And each morning would get the cappuccino and head next door to the bakery side and get the donuts.

The pizza is some of the best I have had and it, along with the hamburger and hotdog grill, is open ‘til 1 AM.

Entertainment: Sarge is the best ! Saw both shows and laughed like crazy. The band Epithani was great. Looked forward to seeing them by the pool each day. The Stage shows were very well produced and we enjoyed them quite a bit. With the 6:15 dining we were able to get to the 8:30 show 30 minutes early sit front row and almost center each nite. The hypnotist was horrible and we didn’t care for the comedic acrobat at all. The performances in the Piazza were diverse and entertaining.

Had read here how James Lay was not too well received. Although he did seem fake and scripted on stage, when we took the ballroom dancing lessons we found him to be funny and very personable, and always had time to say hello if you ran into him on deck. The rest of the staff did a fantastic job and were always helpful and funny.

Ports: Bermuda – went to Horseshoe Bay Beach and loved it there.

San Juan – 12 hours here is way too much for us, would have rather spent that much time in another port. Friends went on the Catamaran Excursion and enjoyed ot but complained about the long bus ride to and from. We did old San Juan, it was nice but went back on the ship early and enjoyed the pool.

St. Thomas – first time here, took ultimate excursion, touring, Blackbeards Castle

And Magens Beach for 2 hours. Great tour. Nicest beach we have been on.

Garnd Turk – beautiful Island, hope it stays this way, but I doubt it. Swam at the beach alongside the ship. Nice but too many rocks, big rocks in the water. Next time would travel down a bit to Governors Beach where they told me it was sandy. Margaretville was a fun stop for some good drinks. Again give me more time here and less in San Juan.

Disembarkation: We did the express walk off. Carry your own bags and be the first ones off. Tip: if you are leaving from deck 7 wait at the rear of the Wheel House Bar. You will be exiting from the hallway right next to it.

As we said in the survey they asked us to fill out, the ship was what we expected it to be and the service and everything else for that matter was good. We really enjoyed our vacation and would sail Princess again.

Only complaint is that the air conditioning is insufficient all over the ship.

Over the months I have read many of the complaints pasted here. When I got on the ship I found most of them to be non-existent. What I am saying is maybe you should be aware of the complaints but remember that many of them are just personal issues or will have been remedied by the time you get there, so don’t worry, be happy!

I was on the 25th also - just had to LOL at the comment about the air condiitoning, as I was always cold! Had to buy a cardigan as I hadn't brought one with me. Just goes to show how all opinions are subjective! I would say if one tends to be cold rather than warm, you will find the air conditioning more than adequate :) .

I do agree about the hypnotist, and too much time in San Juan. I think I would avoid San Juan on cruises in the future if possible, except perhaps it would be OK to cruise to and from there.

Kelly

Archived