Do they still have children "tour guides" at the port in Roatan?

Decali

We had heard about them before our last visit a couple of years ago and sure enough, they were out in force. It was kind of a dilemma in that we wanted to help but had also heard that it was best to decline since this activity was keeping them from going to school.

I haven't seen any mention recently and wondered if they were still working the cruise terminal.

We do our best on the island to keep the kids away from the tourists, and IN SCHOOL. We are even building playgrounds with the help of the Police Chief Joe Solomon to get these kids something else to do...

The problems arise when the tourists start giving money to these "guides", and that tip/money ends up being more money than their parents made that day working.

These children's future does not bode well, if they decide that street work is better than having an education.

Don't encourage that idea. When approached by these children, ask why they are not in school.....

It's usually their parents that are not "forcing" their children to attend school...:mad: ....as it helps put more food on the table.... or CRACK COCAINE in their parents bodies.

We had heard about them before our last visit a couple of years ago and sure enough, they were out in force. It was kind of a dilemma in that we wanted to help but had also heard that it was best to decline since this activity was keeping them from going to school.

I haven't seen any mention recently and wondered if they were still working the cruise terminal.

Been to Roatan twice & didn't see any children tour guides. On our first trip a young lady, early twenties, asked to go shopping with my DIL & I to negotiate better deals. She spent a couple of hours with us and we enjoyed getting to know her. She was a very sweet, special person. We tipped her, of course, but there was much more "visiting" and telling us about her island than negotiating. It was right before Xmas & she was so appreciative. From our experiences, the Roatan people are very kind & eager to share information about their island with travelers. The island hasn't been commercialized much yet which is very refreshing. Can't wait to go again.

Archived