Speeding on the Islands

Giantfan13

Just a word of warning, do NOT speed while driving around the islands. The police are using Mustangs to go after speeders in some places. We saw people continually being pulled over, so take it easy and you will get to where ever you are going 5 minutes later.

Here on the Big Island the police use their own cars. There are only a couple of marked "blue and whites" as they call them. So, most of the policemen are driving SUV's, etc. with a few sports cars thrown in. The only indication that it is a cop in the car is a little blue light perched on the top of the roof. This little blue light is not easy to see in your rear view mirror.....so just slow down and take it easy and everything will be fine!! And, another thing.....they are on a huge seat belt campaign and blitz right now. They will have spotters on the side of the road, who will then radio ahead to the guys that will pull you over while you are driving through a town or a slower area. So, buckle up!!

Yes, you are correct about the 'no horn blowing'. We asked a cab driver about that and he replied it is considered rude to honk your horn, unless it's to avoid an accident. I am from NY and I rarely use my horn. Felt great not to have everyone else honking me. Things ARE better in Hawaii.

Glad to hear about the lack of horn-blowing. A personal pet-peeve of mine. Where I live in a resort area that has a huge elderly population during the 10 months of off-season, seems people blow their horns at every light and stop sign from lack of patience -- not only irritating but rude as well

Archived