Cabin...electrical outlets

Leslieswiger

Can one use a two and a three prong extension cord inside the cabin? Does anyone know how many electrical outlets and the locations in the cabin. We are in a mini-suite B228 on the Island. Thanking you in advance for your time and interest in the above matter. Happy Sailings....Leslie Swiger:)

I believe ther is only one 2 plug outlet near the desk.

I need about 13 outlets.

Bring extention cords

1. laptop

2. still camera

3. toothbrushes (2)

4. video camera

5. fan

6. noise machine

7. PDA

8. cell phones (2)

9. crok pot

10. Alarm clock

11. CPAP

12 Humidifier

13 Chanukah Bush Lights

And the outlet by the TV. In addition to an extension cord I bring a "tap" which is a single plug that splits out into three sockets. I have a two-prong tap and a three-prong tap. For the three-prong tap, becuase the three-prong plug on the desk is usally near a switch and can be hard to place a tap there, I also bring a short, 1 foot extenion cord called a liberator.

Bathroom, one double outlet that is a 110-220 convertible. People have reported that this outlet is wired to the light switch for the bathroom. No light, no power.

Cabin outlet #1, on the wall near the desk.

Cabin outlet #2, looking at the television/refrigerator combo, look on the top behind the TV. You should find a double outlet for both the refrigerator and TV. Unplug the TV, plug in your power strip and reconnect the TV set.

There is not much room behind the TV, but I could easily hide two battery chargers and the power supply for a laptop.

Be advised that there is a voltage variation on some ships and or some cabins. Our last trip, on the Sapphire, all electronics appeared to work OK. That is except for a cheap digital clock we had bought for the interior we had booked. The clock worked fine at home, but on the ship, it lost 2-3 minutes a day. Turns out the 110 voltage was more like 105.

If you digging around behind cabinets and headboards, you may find additional outlets. But be aware they are likely to be 220.

Here's the desk outlet (with my cube tap attached):

outlet1.jpg

Most ships have either one or two outlets located here. As you can see the outlets are very close together and close to the light switch so some multi-taps will cover the switches. Since you have a minisuite you will also have extra outlets behind both of the TV's. There's enough room on the TV shelves for battery/phone chargers. :)

Princess usually has two outlets but sometimes there is a plug near the floor for a vacuum cleaner. More times than not it's 220 volts. In addition to my two small 110 volt powerstrips (available at Walgreen's for $4.99 each), just in case I bring a 220 volt powerstrip that I picked up in London last time we were there. All of our travel electrical appliances are dual voltage.

Please know that the electrical outlets by the bed (used for the table lamps) need a converter. I use a heating pad and wasn't able to plug it in because of the different type of outlet. (The plug is 2 round holes.) THIS time, I am prepared and I have a converter to use for my 14 day cruise.:)

A two round hole plug is a European plug and indicates that it is probably 220 volt. If so, you will also need a step-down transformer to reduce 220 volt to 110 volt if the heating pad is not dual voltage. If you need to step the voltage down, make sure the step-down transformer can handle the heating pad wattage. Step-down transformers are heavy and expensive. I'd look for a dual voltage heating pad instead. There's a wealth of information on the web about using 110 volt heating appliances with 220 volt current. It can be dangerous so I would study up on it before trying it. I know from my wife's personal experience that a 110 volt hair curling iron makes a lot of smoke when accidentally plugged into a 220 volt outlet. It was after that experience that we made the decision to buy dual volt travel appliances. Then you only have to remember to get the voltage setting right.

There's a wealth of information on the web about using 110 volt heating appliances with 220 volt current.

Adorama 1600 Watt Converter. Converts 220 Volt Electricity to 110 Volt Electricity.

from

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Converter-Converts-Electricity-Electricity/dp/B000AMFNHI/ref=pd_sbs_e_1/104-7116264-0833549?ie=UTF8

Voltage converters 110 volt to 220 volt - 220 volt to 110 volt dual converter and auto converter for automatic conversion.

from

http://www.eastwestintl.com/transformers_and_voltage_converters/voltage_converter.htm

A two round hole plug is a European plug and indicates that it is probably 220 volt. If so, you will also need a step-down transformer to reduce 220 volt to 110 volt if the heating pad is not dual voltage. If you need to step the voltage down, make sure the step-down transformer can handle the heating pad wattage. Step-down transformers are heavy and expensive. I'd look for a dual voltage heating pad instead. There's a wealth of information on the web about using 110 volt heating appliances with 220 volt current. It can be dangerous so I would study up on it before trying it. I know from my wife's personal experience that a 110 volt hair curling iron makes a lot of smoke when accidentally plugged into a 220 volt outlet. It was after that experience that we made the decision to buy dual volt travel appliances. Then you only have to remember to get the voltage setting right.

I will have to check my heating pad information. Thank you so much for posting this!

Adorama 1600 Watt Converter. Converts 220 Volt Electricity to 110 Volt Electricity.

from

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Converter-Converts-Electricity-Electricity/dp/B000AMFNHI/ref=pd_sbs_e_1/104-7116264-0833549?ie=UTF8

Voltage converters 110 volt to 220 volt - 220 volt to 110 volt dual converter and auto converter for automatic conversion.

from

http://www.eastwestintl.com/transformers_and_voltage_converters/voltage_converter.htm

Thank you for the links, Derf. Now I know what to look for. :)

OMG .. I'm definitely electrically deprived... I need the one outlet for when I plug my hair straightener in... or some nights I might do the digital batt recharger "if" I bring it.

Bring Extention cords

1. laptop

2. still camera

3. toothbrushes (2)

4. video camera

5. fan

6. noise machine

7. PDA

8. cell phones (2)

9. crok pot

10. Alarm clock

11. CPAP

12 Humidifier

13 Chanukah Bush Lights

14 Printer

15 Fax machine

Be advised that there is a voltage variation on some ships and or some cabins. ... The clock worked fine at home, but on the ship, it lost 2-3 minutes a day. Turns out the 110 voltage was more like 105.

(I was gonna let this go, but the Engineer is strong in me, so ...)

Actually, it's probably 110V (actually 117V, but that's a whole 'nother geeked-out post), but what happened with your clock was a frequency variation. All digital clocks (except those fancy ones which sync off the NIST time signals) expect the line frequency to be 60.000 cycles per second, and the land-side power companies take great care to ensure that over time, they put out the right number of cycles (5184000 per day), speeding up or slowing down the generators ever so slightly as required.

On the ship, I'm sure they don't take that great care with the frequency, so you get the kinds of off-time indications you did.

Archived