Sand Fleas?

SusieCruisie

You can certainly expect No-See-Um's on the beach around that time period. If your ship arrives at 3 PM I doubt you will get off immediately so figure 3:30 or later getting off. Then, the taxi will normally wait for a full load of passengers before leaving, so I would not think you would leave the dock before 3:45. The driver likely will take his time traveling so as to give folks a look at the scenery and time to take photos. Cane Garden Bay is 20 minutes or more on a good day if you go directly there with out dawdling. Doesn't leave much time for sun I wouldn't think. You need to decide if it's worth the ride. You will see some nice views and get some good pictures.

Are no see um's the fleas??? lol....cute name, but at the same time Scary when you think of it! Your answer makes so much sense as far as the time frames. Now I have to wonder what I will do while visiting Tortola. I have children, and don't want them to be bored. they love the beach. Thanks for your quick response!

:)

No see ums are not sand fleas but they are very annoying and the bites can get painful if there are enough of them. They are very tiny insects, very difficult to see, hence the name. Sand fleas are a bit bigger and just as annoying.

I don't understand why cruise lines put into ports like Tortola at hours like yours. Other than a little bit of shopping or taking an island tour there is not a whole heck of a lot to do there at that time. You could get a little bit of beach time but not a lot. The BVI are not "busy" islands, water sports are the main entertainment and evenings are for kicking back and relaxing, going to a restaurant or maybe a club like Quito's a taking in the music. What shore excursions does your line offer?

Archived