Fall Foliage Cruise

LMA5876

I am thinking of booking a fall foliage cruise from Boston to Canada for myself (age 48), my mother and her 2 sisters all over the age of 76. Have never cruised on Royal Caribbean before and have a couple of questions: 1) Does RC have any type of a soda card? 2) Where out of Boston does the cruise ship leave from and is there a place to park your vehicle for the duration of your trip? (If so, what is the cost involved?) Am also interested in hearing from anyone who has previously taken this cruise as well as any other suggestions or comments anyone has. Love these boards! Thank you.

You may get to see some color, and then again, you might not. The most intense color is usually inland, far from the salty sea air. If you really just want to see the leaves, you might consider a bus tour.

With that said, we thoroughly enjoyed or 2005 cruise from Boston's Black Falcon Terminal. Yes, there is a parking lot nearby, if you driving to Boston. We flew in, stayed in a downtown hotel and took a cab for the 5 minute ride to the port. Not sure what they charge for parking.

We thought the terminal was well run, and we had no problem embarking or disembarking. I suggest that you "Google" Black Falcon terminal and you can get more details, including maps, etc.

RCI does offer a "soda card" which I think runs around $40 for a 7-day cruise. We never drink soda, so I may be a few $$ off on the card price. You are given a special, refillable cup for your sodas.

Hope this helps...

LL

The leaves are changing right now. My SIL phoned me the other day to tell me. she knows I go on the board and spread the word. I suggest that you bring layer type clothing as it has been a little cold recently. b Last year it did not happen until the very end of Sept.

In ten days I'm actually taking the Jewel of the Seas on it's first 7-day NE/Canada cruise, and I have a few points for you...

*I live in Brighton, 6 miles away, and we'll be parking in the Massport parking garage almost across the street from the Black Falcon Terminal- it's $14 per day, and you pay in advance when you enter the garage. We've done this before when we've taken the Majesty to Bermuda, and it's real convenient.

* This will be my third time on a Radiance class ship, which I am absolutely in love with, and I think you would be too if you take the Jewel, which I assume is the one you were thinking about. I took the Serenade last year to Alaska, and also took the Serenade on a four day cruise to NE/Canada out of Boston a few years ago. These ships are full of glass everywhere, and are I think the most elegant and beautiful afloat.

* Even without foliage, I really enjoyed the ports last time- Bar Harbor is by far best approached from the sea, and is a great location; Halifax is also really a great city, with a long waterfront promenade right next to the ship's dock; and I've heard great things about the others ports as well (Martha's Vineyard, St. John, & Portland). They may not be far from our home in New England, but traveling on a gorgeous ship to a different port each day, and then ending up back home with an easy debarkation and short trip home, without the airport hassles, is not bad...

Hope this helps!

Lots of good questions! We are booked on the Explorer for Canada/NE next Oct. Hope we are not too late for the fall colors. Anyone out there who can help us.

We are booking the Sept. 28 2007 cruise. I have family in Maine and leaves have already started to turn there. I love New England especially Bar Harbor so I am looking forward to the cruise even if we do miss the color. It's hard to judge as it really depends on what type of weather you have each year. I know if we have a dry summer where I live in Pa. leaves seem to turn and fall much sooner. :)

We did Canada/New England on Celebrity's Constellation in late September early October 2004, and the leaves were changing colors at that time. This was especially true when we went north of the St. Lawrence into the mountains on the Quebec countryside tour.

Archived