Will NCL help me with my food allergies on board? I dont want to miss out!!!

cruisin_cutie

I am cruising on the Sun in early december, and this is my first time going with my dang food allergy that has recently developed!! I am allergic to gluten, which is in wheat, barley, oats and several other grains. I had this problem last year on a cruise but didnt know what had been making me sick for months. Ive been on a gluten free diet since this past January, so this is my first cruise sticking to my special diet.

Anyway: I want to know if NCL will cook special food for me, or if i will just have to eat plain, unseasoned boring food the whole time??!! If i have to bring my own pasta, soy sauce, flour mixes etc, I will be happy to! I just want to know if they will use them. Do i need to tell them im bringing this food and give it all to them, or just tell the Maitre D when i get there?

I am trying to get in touch with the ship coordinator, but she is always out of office and doesnt return calls from me.

Any insight???

Have your TA contact special services. They will be able to let you know exactly what to do. I just did this for one of my clients. Needed brown rice, and the cruiseline (different cl) did not have it so she was going to take it and they would prepare it for her. AS I said, just let your TA handle it. They can get through to the correct people fast and you will not have to waste your time on hold...

Hubby and I are on Atkins, low carb. We were on the Dawn in July and we both lost weight. We ask that the bread basket not be put on the table and the wait staff had a problem with that. You would tell one person and one of the others would see no bread and bring it back. We eat meat, fish and chicken so there was plenty to eat. The sugarfree offerings were very slim, but we still had a great time.

Several years ago we went on a Holland America cruise and they specifically catered to several diets including gluten free. I think you would have to contact their food services department. I've also read that some gluten free food suppliers will send food to the ship for you. That's something else you could check out.

With a serious food allergy, I wouldn't leave it all up to your TA. I would call the cruiseline directly, have them make notations on your reservation. Most cruise reservation forms have a place for dietary needs or restrictions.

Immediatley upon boarding the ship, you should meet with the Maitre'd and discuss your dietary needs. He/she is usually set up in a public room for a couple of hours during embarkation. He is the one who will make the food arrangements during your cruise so it is important that you have good and productive "face" time with him.

With a serious food allergy, I wouldn't leave it all up to your TA. I would call the cruiseline directly, have them make notations on your reservation. Most cruise reservation forms have a place for dietary needs or restrictions.

Immediately upon boarding the ship, you should meet with the Maitre'd and discuss your dietary needs. He/she is usually set up in a public room for a couple of hours during embarkation. He is the one who will make the food arrangements during your cruise so it is important that you have good and productive "face" time with him.

Here is a bit of our review of the Dawn. You will have a wonderful trip!

"We happen to be a family of individuals with food allergies, so we addressed the topic. Much to our surprise and delight, the front desk phoned Marlon Bryan, maitre’d (I believe) and his attention was outstanding. He took the time to review meal choices and ingredients. At one point, he even brought us a package of pasta, so that we would be comfortable with the ingredients. During the course of the week, Roosdin Muhammad, assistant maitre’d in training, became our contact with regard to food issues. His attention was extraordinary. He has a lovely demeanor and always gave the impression that our needs were paramount. He is truly a great asset to NCL.

This personalized service from the food service personnel will certainly weigh heavily when we choose our next cruise. As a parent with a child with food allergies, it was such a great comfort to know that the staff was well equipped and willing to accommodate our needs. Many in the food industry are not always willing to go the extra mile. The staff of the Dawn certainly was. Whenever we mentioned the food allergy, the wait staff always offered to double check ingredient lists. We didn’t have a single incident all week, with regard to allergies."

• 4 weeks later...

We were on NCL's Majesty in July. NCL was great with dealing with my wife's celiac disease (no wheat, rye, barley etc.) Although we had registered before the cruise there was a mix up and nothing had been arranged in advance. Even with no prior plan there was no problem. They have gluten free breads, bagels, waffles, pasta and pizza crust. Rather than being told what was an option (as had happened with RCI) NCL presented the next day's menus had my wife select what she'd like and the chef's created the substitute. You do need to use your imagination and make reasonable selections, but we had no problems. We ate all our meals in the main dining room to simply things. The day we boarded, we went to the buffet. As my wife was ruling out everything, a crew member noticed that she appeared to be looking for something. Once they were aware, they brought her a plate of fruit and cheese.

You'll have a great time. I do recommend calling ahead and then checking back to be sure.

We were on the Dawn in February and my fiance has severe egg and shellfish allergies.

We registered with NCL customer service and, once onboard, at reception, and then with the concierge.

At dinner, the first evening, the Maitre D' at Impressions, Christian, and his assistant, Anthony, both stopped us to discuss the allergies. They even went as far as noting where we could be seated for the best ventilation in the room (shellfish allergies, in case someone doesn't know, are airborne as well - it's a chemical reaction when they cook).

They were wonderful about it.

Just speak up and let them know if you have concerns.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Cruisin-cutie

My wife and I were on the Sun in August. She has celiac and we were treated like royalty while on the cruise. I had sent the Sun an email several months before our cruise and they responded with a list of gluten free items for her to choise from. We emailed the list back several weeks before and the day we got on the ship we went and met with the Maitre'd. His name was Willie and when we told him my wife was allergic to gluten he said "Oh, you're room 9001. We were floored. He had our email with him. Willie made sure for the rest of the cruise that we were well taken care of. He made my wife special deserts, waffles and french toast for breakfast and even cookies that she could take with her back to the room. Each night he would come to the table and make sure she was Ok and then go over the next nights menu with her. He notice she did not order the clam chawder one night and asked why. My wife said she was sure she couldn't have it. Well, Willie said " I will make it special for you tomorrow night". He did and it was great. The staff on the Sun and especially Wille were outstanding. Please get them involved as soon as you get on board. Your cruise will be great. Let me know if you need any further information. After this last expierience I feel like and expert.

Happy cruisin

engineer

:D :D :D You all have put my fears to rest! I have emailed the ship coordinator, and am expecting my gluten free food list to be sent shortly!

Engineer and Beach2sea, your replies were so helpfull, it was exactly what I needed to know! Thanks a bunch, i am extremely relieved now!!!!!:D :D

We know what you're going through. We were amazed by the service. Now, we're hoping that HAL Statendam does as well for us in July for a cruise to Alaska. We found out about my wife's celiac just before our first cruise in 2005. We were still learning about it ourselves at that point.

We know what you're going through. We were amazed by the service. Now, we're hoping that HAL Statendam does as well for us in July for a cruise to Alaska. We found out about my wife's celiac just before our first cruise in 2005. We were still learning about it ourselves at that point.

Beach2Sea -

HAL was wonderful for us when we were on the Westerdam. My parents only cruise HAL (they leave tomorrow on the Noordam) and my Dad's allergic to onions. They are fantastic with him.

Same rules apply - just let the dining room know and they help out.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I would also like to thank Engineer and Beach2sea for all of their info. My mother and I will be sailing on the Dawn in November . My mother also has Celiac disease and now I know she will be able to follow her diet and not run the risk of being ill on her vacation. Unlike carb-free or meat-free diets, a gluten-free diet is not a lifestyle choice, it is medically necessary. I am very happy to know there is an awareness of the disease with the cruise lines and I will make travelling with my 3 year old that also has Celiac a lot easier.

When I was on the Spirit in August, everyone was very helpful with my sil. She has celiac disease and when we sat down we would speak with waiter. They would go over the menu with her on what she could and couldn't eat. A lot of the time it ended up being the steak or chicken from the "offered all the time" section of the menu.

Mush71 On NCL, My wife was shown the menus for the next day at dinner the previous night and placed her orders then. This gave the chefs time to locate any special ingredients or prep work done. This provided so many options beyond the "always available" list. It is hard enough to decide what you want to eat let alone decide 24 hours in advance, but the options were great.

They even had gluten free sandwich rolls and made a steak sandwich for lunch.

Archived