Advice on Dover on embarkation day

Katy P.

Hello! Going on the NCL Dream to the Baltics from Dover. Is the port of Dover far from the city? I was wondering if after we have done the embarkation process, you can leave the ship again and try to see the town? We will be arriving early ( maybe will be at the ship about

11 AM or noon if they allow you to board it then)and was thinking of doing this, keeping in mind that there will be muster drills and of course the sailaway time. Haven't been to Dover so I was also wondering if there's public transport readily available at the port? Will you have to go through customs at the port again if you do this? Just would like to know if this is workable or not due to the time constraints. Thank you for any advice. :)

Hello Katy P,

I have pretty much the same question. (I'm sailing out of Dover on the Constellation a year from now; it doesn't hurt to start researching these things in advance.:))

In the meantime, to answer part of your question: The cruise ships depart from the terminal at the Western Docks--not more than a mile (& probably less) from the town proper. (You get a good view of Dover from the dock. I've arrived there, but not yet departed from there.)

In theory, you could walk into the town. However, I don't recall if there's a pedestrian walkway (a sidewalk, or pavement, to use the Briticism) when you leave the ship. (As I recall, the terminal area, & the Western Docks themselves, are part of the breakwater that protects the harbor.) There will be a good deal of traffic on the road leading up to the terminal, what with buses, taxis, & trucks bringing in passengers & supplies. In any case, a taxi would get you to/from town in just a few minutes.

Like you, I'm trying to find out if one is allowed to leave the ship after embarkation. As the terminal will be set up for the formal embarkation procedures, I suspect that when returning from a short jaunt into Dover one might well have to wait in line all over again & also explain to the embarkation staff that you've already been processed for embarkation. Of course, at that point you will also have your shipboard ID card. Also bear in mind that as you're leaving the ship to go sightseeing in Dover, everyone else will be trying to board. I don't know if there will be a separate gangplank by which to exit the ship.

Incidentally, the only real "must see" sight in Dover is Dover Castle, which is perched on the hilltop above the town. I'd think you'd really have to devote at least two hours to the place to make a visit worthwhile. To make the most of your limited time, a taxi would probably be the best way to get to & from the castle.

I hope this partial answer helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers,

John

A quick follow-up to my previous post. Here's a useful website with information about Dover as a cruise port:

http://www.europeportreviews.com/DoverEngland.htm

The site says it's only a fifteen minute walk from the terminal to Dover, which sounds about right to me. It suggests that you check your bags at the terminal and then go sightseeing in town.

(Hmmm... I wonder if there's really a place at the terminal to "check your bags" without actually embarking? Or is it possible to go through the embarkation procedure but then, instead of embarking immediately, leave the terminal for a few hours?)

Since no one else seems to have an answer for you, I will try to provide you with the information that I was given for our cruise.We took our cruise from Harwich, but, originally we were going on the Norwegian Dream out of Dover. I also wanted to see the Dover Castle and its surroundings and we were advise to arrive the day before and stay at the Best Western which is supposed to be very convenient to go sightseeing in Dover. I looked at their rates and it seemed very reasonable and I believe it included breakfast. Good luck!!

Since no one else seems to have an answer for you, I will try to provide you with the information that I was given for our cruise.We took our cruise from Harwich, but, originally we were going on the Norwegian Dream out of Dover. I also wanted to see the Dover Castle and its surroundings and we were advise to arrive the day before and stay at the Best Western which is supposed to be very convenient to go sightseeing in Dover. I looked at their rates and it seemed very reasonable and I believe it included breakfast. Good luck!!

Well of course the ideal solution would be to arrive in Dover a day early--but that's not what we're doing, & evidently not what the other posters here are doing either. The original question stands unanswered:

Is it possible to (a) embark on the ship and then leave the ship for a few hours before sailing to explore Dover; or alternatively (b) to leave one's luggage at the terminal (or elsewhere in town?) for a few hours before embarking, in order to explore Dover?

Archived