Question On Tipping

Dorene1

It's really at your discresion as to how much you tip. It depends on the level of service and the amount you use the butler and concierge. You will probably hear a ton of different recommendations. We usually tip around $100 each, give or take depending on the level of service.

We made extensive use of our butler Denny - room service breakfast, mid-afternoon snacks, we hosted a private dinner party in our suite and he coordinated the extra servers, etc. He oversaw the cabin attendants taking care of our suite as well - making sure that each day the suite was cleaned to "his" standards which meant immaculate. Brought us DVD's/CD's for those times we hung out in the cabin. He did so much more for us - as did the concierge. Our concierge made all of our dinner reservations for the entire week on the first day, made spa appointments for us - I don't recall ever standing in a line for anything. Just a phone call to her and it was handled!

Tipping is quite an individual decision - we tipped our butler VERY well and if I recall correctly, gave the concierge $100 for the week.

You'll love the suite life! Only problem is - once you go in a suite with a butler, you don't want to go back to anything less.

....and how much you use your butlers and concierge. We have been a 7 day on the Dream and recently, 17 on the Sun. We tipped our butlers pretty heavily on the 17 nighter; as they brought us breakfast every morning, and the day we transited the Panama Canal they were knocking on our door with pitchers of ice water for us. Also, we hosted a party in our room for CC'ers. So Roel and Theodore made out real well with us.

Marieke, our concierge, made sure there was jetskiing available to us in the ports we wanted to jetski in. We tipped her $5 each time we talked to her. We jetski a lot ;)

Congrats to you and have a wonderful cruise!!

Mary

My guess is about $100.00 conceirge and $125.00 to the butler. Also an additional $25.00 to the cabin steward. That should end this thread.

I'm wondering about the order you got this in. Doesn't the cabin stewart do (or supposed to do) a lot more work than the concierge? I could be wrong on this but I think the concierge just makes reservations for stuff which only takes a couple of minutes. Also if the cabin stewart is doing their job right it involves cleaning the cabin as well as making the bed and replenishing supplies. That seems like a lot more work to me than just making reservations.

I'm wondering about the order you got this in. Doesn't the cabin stewart do (or supposed to do) a lot more work than the concierge? I could be wrong on this but I think the concierge just makes reservations for stuff which only takes a couple of minutes. Also if the cabin stewart is doing their job right it involves cleaning the cabin as well as making the bed and replenishing supplies. That seems like a lot more work to me than just making reservations.

Our concierge did more work than thought possible. HE made reservations, got us off the ship at ports, made sure we had everything we needed and more than we needed, made sure the butler did his job correctly, made sure we had preferred seating at the shows, made sure my DH clothing came back in time for formal night and captain's dinner.All of this was in OS but even in PH he/she did same. They also got us reservations in specialty restaurants when we desired, even last minute.

Cabin stewards only cleaned the cabin. But would do it 2-3 times daily.

THe butler served breakfast to us, brought us lunch, dinner when we requested, snacks for parties. Breakfast did not require room service menu but were able to order anything and they would bring it. Lots of work and made us feel very special.

We tipped according to what we required of them. We tipped the butler from $140-$200 for 7 days. Concierge, $150-$250 for a week, and cabin stewards $50 each as there are 2, also we tipped ($5-$10) a few times during the week to all.

Hope this helps clarify.:)

I believe the cabin steward was tipped on top of his portion of the automatic $10 a day per person tips. The Butler and Concierge don't get any portion of the $10 automatic tips, so we always tip them depending upon how much we use them.

Ok, that clears things up. I guess in both our cases it all depends on how much work they do. In our case I plan on making all our dinner reservations when I first get on the ship (as recomended all over the place on this board). I also have mostly rental cars for doing our own thing for excursions and the two ship ones I plan on reserving through the internet while still at home. The only thing I'm likely to be at all fusy about is seeing to it that the room is cleaned every day and the bed is made up everyday. For that I'm willing to give a $100 ($20 per day x 5 days). Thats for 5 days- the first day it's already made up and the last day I'm not going to care since we'll be leaving.

Archived