Rome to Venice-should we stop on the way?

We will be getting off the ship in Civitavecchia and plan to go to Venice for a few days. Should we go directly to Venice or stop somewhere along the way? Is there a "must see" town we should not miss? Is there a scenic train to Venice?

Thank You

I love Venice, could get lost on the little streets for hours, and think a few days there is on the short side. But some find Venice a bore. If you want another town, Sienna and San Gimignano are both Tuscan towns. Foodies might say you need to stop in Bologna, as I've heard the best Italian food is from there.

Ferrara, is between Bologna and Venice...along the way to Venice. I've never been there but many people like this city!! Parma is a beautiful city but isn't on your way. I think you'll catch the Malpensa Express to reach the Malpensa Airport..so if you've time you can visit Milan..The city-centre, the quadrilateral of the fashion...via della Spiga, Montenapoleone! The Duomo of Milan and the Castello Sforzesco, too! And many other interesting places!:)

Its hard to answer the OP's question without sounding a bit snotty, but lets put it our there for comment. When you travel between Rome and Venice you are traversing some of the best tourist areas in all of Europe. To start listing various places is like saying, I am traveling from New York to California,,,what should I see? This part of Italy would encompass Umbria and Tuscany,,, (among other regions) both regions worthy of months of exploration. It would certainly be easy to agree with all the above recommendations and add a few dozen more. And than there is the wonderful countryside, wine country, various cuisines along the route, etc etc. So, getting back to the OP,,,yes, there are some things you should see. Do you have a few months?

Hank

You don't say if you are driving or taking the train.If train I would go stright to Venice as you mentioned it was just for a few days and that's what you will need for Venice IMHO.If driving then you could stop off in one of the above mentioned area,but I would save that area for another whole trip not just a day on the way to Venice.To much to see and enjoy.Just my thought.

Archived