Tendering Question - Hawaii

wtoms

Forgive me for asking this one, how can I tell which ports are tendering ports? ive seen it somewhere but cant locate it, also has anyone experience with taking golf clubs ashore on the tenders? thanks !

Mike is right. Kona is usually the only tender port. There are a couple itineraries that have an extra day in Maui that will tender at Lahaina.

If you look at the itineraries when you go through the online booking (Voyages and Pricing), they usually say ARRIVE-DOCK or ARRIVE-ANCHOR next to the port.

I though it was 2 or 3 of the dates that had this extra day, but it is only the April 29 of PoAm:

7-Day Hawaii - More time in Maui itinerary

Pride of America

2006: Apr 29

DayPortArriveDepartSat.Honolulu, Oahu

- -

8:00pm

Sun.Kona, Hawaii

7:00am

6:00pm

Mon.Kahului, Maui

8:00am

overnight

Tue.Kahului, Maui

- -

10:00pm

Wed.Lahaina, Maui

6:00pm

Thu.Hilo, Hawaii

7:00pm

Fri.At sea

- -

- -

Sat.Honolulu, Oahu

7:00am*

- -

* Disembarkation usually begins two hours after docking.

From looking at the NCl website, the 9/25/06 POH cruise also tenders at Lahaina on Wednesday of that week, and then docks at Kahului the next day. And I know that I saw other NCL cruises that tender at Lahaina.

I know I saw somewhere that the 4/30/07 cruise (the one I'll be on) is tendering at Hilo on Friday of that week, but I am nearly certain that is an error, since I checked the port schedule, and the POH is the only ship scheduled to be in port that day, so there is no reason why they'd be tendering.

Last year on the POAm we tendered into Lahaina. We had a slightly different route from the normal. We are going on the POH Oct. 16th and we tender into Hilo on the Kona day because of the Ironman in Kona.

Why are you tendering, rather than docking, into Hilo? Assuming what you say is correct, I wonder if that means that the April 30 cruise will also tender into Hilo. I hope not, since tendering sounds like it is a real pain, and significantly increases the chances of failing to reach that port, especially since the weather is usually lousy in Hilo. I have no idea why the POH would tender into Hilo on the 4/30 cruise (the Hilo day is May 4) when it is the only ship scheduled for Hilo that day.

Are there any statistics as to how often the NCLA ships fail to dock / tender at particular ports? I have heard that it is very common to fail to dock at Kauai, Hilo, and Kona, but I wonder what the percentage of time is, and what months the ship typically fails at those ports. I was recently on a cruise which, at first glance, appeared to very frequently miss one of the ports, but then when you look deeper, I realized that nearly all the times that it failed were during certain months, and there were no known failures to dock during the month that I was there!! :)

I live just outside of Hilo and the weather is NOT always "lousy"..in fact most days are better than perfect. Most of the notorious rain falls here overnight or during the very early morning hours. Brief showers pop up often...but 5 minutes later the sun is shining again and the sky is lit up with a rainbow. Yes, we do have occasional periods of rain lasting for several days.....just like anywhere else. And, without the showers...Hilo would not be so green and tropical.

Only once have I known of a cruise ship that was unable to dock in Hilo due to weather. This was during a very freaky wind storm that was accompanied by a huge swell. Many homes were lost or damaged during that storm. I belive the captain made a wise choice by skipping Hilo that day.

Many days there are two cruise ships docked in Hilo...especially during the spring and fall when the cruise lines are doing the repostitioning cruises. NCL has two ships docked the same day when the Wind is in Hawaii.

And, only once have I seen a ship anchored out in the bay. This was a lesser known cruise line that had declared bankruptcy the day before. It was all over the Tv. The next day that ship was in Hilo, anchored out in the bay. I am sure the authorities at the port refused them entry due to financial concerns.

I live just outside of Hilo and the weather is NOT always "lousy"..in fact most days are better than perfect. Most of the notorious rain falls here overnight or during the very early morning hours. Brief showers pop up often...but 5 minutes later the sun is shining again and the sky is lit up with a rainbow. Yes, we do have occasional periods of rain lasting for several days.....just like anywhere else. And, without the showers...Hilo would not be so green and tropical.

Sorry. But, I have read (don't remember where, and don't know if it is accurate enough) that cruises frequently fail to dock at Hilo because of weather-related reasons. It is possible that what I read is untrue, so I will assume you are correct.

Only once have I known of a cruise ship that was unable to dock in Hilo due to weather. This was during a very freaky wind storm that was accompanied by a huge swell. Many homes were lost or damaged during that storm.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I belive the captain made a wise choice by skipping Hilo that day.

Yes, I agree. What month was that during?

Many days there are two cruise ships docked in Hilo...especially during the spring and fall when the cruise lines are doing the repostitioning cruises. NCL has two ships docked the same day when the Wind is in Hawaii.

From what I can tell, the POH is the only ship in Hilo on Oct. 20 and on May 4.

And, only once have I seen a ship anchored out in the bay. This was a lesser known cruise line that had declared bankruptcy the day before. It was all over the Tv. The next day that ship was in Hilo, anchored out in the bay. I am sure the authorities at the port refused them entry due to financial concerns.

You think that the NCL website has an error in saying that the Oct. 16 cruise and the April 30 cruise (on Oct. 20 and May 4 respectively) are tendering, rather than docking at Hilo? Since I'll be on the April 30 cruise, I hope that you are right.

Mike Kaye,

I am so confused. I thought that the Wind was tendering at Lahiana. We have 2 days there and it shows day 1 from 9:30 to 10:30 PM. Then the next day from 7 AM until 3 PM. So does the ship sail out to sea so they don't have to overnight port fees? :cool:

Deb

Archived