Carnival Wheelchair Rental?

RvrCrzr

Anyone know if CARNIVAL rents wheelchairs, or is there a rental at the Miami pier? How do you reserve? Any restrictions, or deposits?

Anyone know the price for a week?

Taking my mother on a cruise, and she can't walk long distances onboard. A wheelchair would really be handy...but she doesn't own one to bring. Just interested in renting.

Carnival lent us a chair for use ashore several years ago, but I do not know their current policy. I would call their special needs deptartment to see if they will lend or rent you one. However,I doubt they will do so and having had bad experiences with other cruise lines, I think you are best off renting one elsewhere.

There are no rental facilities at the pier. There are companies like Carevacations that will deliver one to the pier if you make arrangements ahead of time, but they are expensive. Renting one yourself at home would probably be the least expensive choice. Another choice, if you will have a car in Miami, would be to rent one locally.

I wouldn't count on Carnival providing you with a wheelchair. The chairs that they have on board are for people who become injured while on their cruise. They do not rent them and generally do not lend them out either and really wouldn't let you take them off the boat. You might check with you local senior center or check into one of the services that rent them like Carevacations ect. Hope this helps and you and your mother enjoy the cruise.

Seems strange that...in this day and age CARNIVAL wouldn't have a fleet of chairs to rent for the cruise! Heck, cruise lines are renting FRS radios that you can buy for $50. I would think there would be a HUGE market for wheelchairs on a cruise.

I remember seeing them all over my last PRINCESS cruise. They were marked with the PRINCESS logo. They were sitting all over the place. A person could've just grabbed one when you wanted.

Regardless...thanks for the info.

ndjollymon:

I believe Princess loans the chairs rather than rents them. However having had bad experiences with both RCCL and HAL where they promised to loan us a chair and did not have one or the one they had was broken, I gave up and started traveling with 2 chairs.

Don't count on Carnival giving you a wheelchair. The ones they have are used for emergency purposes only and many of them are in pretty poor shape. Carnival tells their passengers they must provide their own wheelchairs/scooters. There are a number of places that will deliver and pick up wheelchairs to all cruise ships in Miami and Ft Lauderdale. That's what we do for our mom.

Check CareVacations (www.carevacations.com). We have rented scooters from them in the past and I think they have wheelchairs as well. Very nice people to work with - they have the item (in our case a scooter) in the cabin when you board and they remove it from the ship themselves. No worries - very easy and really not that expensive.

No propblem - that's what this board is for!

We actually thought going the scooter route was best because it gave my mother independence while on the ship - she didn't feel as if one of us "had" to push her in the wheelchair and not do what they wanted to do. It really made the cruise so much more enjoyable for all of us! We did bring her collapsable wheelchair for boarding and we did take it on shore in Grand Cayman and Key West.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the price quote I got for my 7 nighter out of Miami in Feb:

Here are the rates for the Wheelchair and the Scooter rental. The Wheelchair would be $95.00 US, and the Scooter would be $245.00 US (the scooter is motorized). These prices are all inclusive, and are for the duration of the cruise.

Anyone know if CARNIVAL rents wheelchairs, or is there a rental at the Miami pier? How do you reserve? Any restrictions, or deposits?

Anyone know the price for a week?

Taking my mother on a cruise, and she can't walk long distances onboard. A wheelchair would really be handy...but she doesn't own one to bring. Just interested in renting.

Yes they do!! Just last month on the Liberty, I was able to use the ship's WC for the duration of the cruise for a deposit of $50.00...which was refunded to me at the end of the cruise.

Archived