Question on credit card holds

moonvine

I haven't been around for a while, and can't remember what the credit card hold is for a 7 day cruise...$250?

More importantly, I have a $100 credit on my S&S due to a group booking...do they reduce the amount they hold to account for this?

Thanks!

Just a quick reminder to contact your credit card company and give them the dates you will be away and where you are traveling to. The reason for this is if you have unusual activity on your account they may place a "hold/decline" message on your account until you call to verify the charges. Also, keep your account number as well as the phone number written down in a seperate place in the event that you need to call for a lost or stolen card.

I was wandering on a credit card hold for a 5 day cruise, I know it is 200.00 but my question is do they put the whole 200.00 on hold the first day? I had a PVP tell me that they put a 50.00 dollar a day hold.Anyone know?

Yes, that was the explanation from a Carnival exec in a December 2004 story in Cruise Travel. Only when the original hold is used up after they update accounts at the end of a day do they hold an additional amount.

It also matches my personal experience, where on a past cruise with S&S charges of less than $100, my bank (I used a debit card) never received a hold request for more than the final amount.

Archived