Choose the cruise by the ship?

JolleyRoger

it wasn't the size, it was the design. We love balconies and we stayed in a balcony on the Caribe deck of the Coral. These balconies are large and half covered, but we missed the privacy. It's not that we're doing anything except relaxing or drinking coffee, but the balconies on the Sun class are "cut out" of the hull. So, instead of "protruding" they are inset and very private feeling. For us, it means that we sit out there and look out at the ocean and can imagine that we are on our own private boat. If we stand at the railing and look down, on the Sun class, you see the water. On the Caribe deck of the Coral, we looked down and saw other people's balconies. Not that we were peeping Toms, or felt that other people were, it's just that the feeling of being alone on the sea wasn't there.

I agree with you about the balconies. I don't like being seen, I don't want to see other people, and I love looking straight down into the water. But, you can experience the same thing on the Island and Coral and all the Grand class ships as well, you just have to make sure you are on the Emerald Deck.

While I look for specific itineraries, when I'm choosing a cruise, I always look for a ship that I will be happy on as well.

Look at a lot of the bad reviews that come out especially during hurricane season. A good portion of the bad reviews are "we missed such and such port and so it was a bad cruise." I look at it this way: if something happens and we can't make it to a single port on our itinerary, will I be happy on this ship? That doesn't mean that I'm not searching for itineraries that I really love and want to do, but I try to be realistic about the fact that ships break down, bad weather occurs, and ports get missed, and I still want to enjoy my vacation even when bad things occur.

I agree with you about the balconies. I don't like being seen, I don't want to see other people, and I love looking straight down into the water. But, you can experience the same thing on the Island and Coral and all the Grand class ships as well, you just have to make sure you are on the Emerald Deck.

thanks for the info...I'll have to remember that!

We have a list of itineraries and/or ports we still want to do/visit. We look at when we can schedule time off from work (and how much time is available), then begin the process of determining which itinerary will fit best during that time period. The research begins by looking at the various options available. We've really grown fond of Princess (their ships, food and service) and find that Princess has the best global variety of itineraries and very often the best prices when compared to other companies in the same class. We then play the comparison game and find the best price. We also get future cruise credits (usually several) when onboard to use when booking future cruises. There are some cruises that have to be done on smaller boats vs. ships, i.e. Galapogos and river cruises, but we basically follow the same process if that type of itinerary best fits the time-of-year and amount of days of vacation available.

Steve

I really appreciate your opinion.

People like certain things for a variety of different reasons. It's great knowing about issues like yours with the balconies. Now I know there may be something better out there... or it may not bother me at all.

We are on Aloha deck, so at least there wont be anyone peering down from above.

Thanks again!:D

Having only been on four cruises, and three of those being to Bermuda, we now make our decisions based on a combination of ports and ships. There are so many yet to see. We will be on the Crown in November and although we will see 10 new ports of call, I have some reservations as to the size of the ship. 3200 pax makes me think that we are going to feel crowded sooner or later. We want to see whats out there as far as ports and ships go. Get a feeling for what is "right for us". Our three trips to Bermuda and another land based vacation there have kind of spoiled us. Bermuda to date, is the most beautiful and freindly island we have had the pleasure to visit. The ships we went there on were all small, and docked right in Hamilton or St. Georges. But, sailing last year on the Dawn with our first balcony room has opened up a whole new world for us. We fell in love with that ship. It will be hard to ever go back to a non balcony room.

So....lol....I guess it's the ship or the ports...or the ship...or the ports......

For the ease and inexpensiveness of the cruises, I tend to go to the Caribbean. But I really like looking for a ship I would like to be on. I tend to read reviews of the ships, look at all the deck plans, and determine what I would like to see and do onboard. I guess I like the thought of a bigger ship because there are more dining choices and specialty restaurants on board. But there are so many ships I would love to try! I am going on the Crown in December, but my next cruise I am trying a smaller ship with HAL to see what that is like.

I know, through all the reviews I've read, people can become very attached to certain ships.

Do people go back and redo the same cruise because of the ship? Is this common at all?

Just curious...[/QU

The ship IS our destination......so it is always our first choice.

bjcanady, it appears reading through this and other threads, some do and some don't. As for us, the itinerary is the most important consideration. We don't view the ship as the destination while others do. The only ship we considered going on multiple times simply for the ship was the SS Norway, and unfortunately she is history.

bjcanady, it appears reading through this and other threads, some do and some don't. As for us, the itinerary is the most important consideration. We don't view the ship as the destination while others do. The only ship we considered going on multiple times simply for the ship was the SS Norway, and unfortunately she is history.

Sadly she is history but we have many fabulous memories of her as she was our destination 39 times.

Archived