What about cpap machine?

bofushere

I've been bringing mine for the last four years. Almost always need an extension cord. I carry an eight footer in my bag when I travel as I usually need it in hotels as well. No problem using it on the ship and on some ships as I have put it out in the room the butler or steward have offered to bring me an extention cord as they recognize what it is. I just bring my own so I know I have it.

Thanks so much for the info! I'm told NOT to use a 'regular' extension cord, instead use a surger. However, a surger cord is usually shorter.

I do plan on taking a surger with me and apparently there is a plug close by the bed.

I will also be bringing small portable oxygen tanks with me. I'm glad there is no problem with that....

:rolleyes: bofus

Hi, We brought 2 cpap machines (yes we are side-by-side sleep deprived!), and we arranged with Celebrity special needs dept. to have 2 extension cords and a jug of distilled water waiting for us in the room (for the cpap humidifier). This way we did not have to find a water source in Seattle before we boarded. When we arrived on the Mercury, the water was waiting but the cords were not. We called the ship's customer service desk and were very soon sent the 2 cords along with the ship's engineer to run the cords correctly.. Turns out 2 cords would not work, so they used one plus an adapter plug to accept both machines. I would highly recommend bringing some plugs that allow you to plug many electrical devices into one outlet (I forgot what these gadgets are called---readily and cheaply available at hardware stores or bed,bath and beyond-type stores). I was adequately warned by many on these boards that the rooms contain only one outlet, and the bathroom just one outlet also.

Have a great cruise, and sleep well!

Hi Bofushere,

There is NO plug near the bed; the nearest one is next to the dressing table/mirror. It's a single plug, and so for that reason we always bring a power strip. This gives us the ability to be charging cell phone, iPod, GPS, camera, video, etc all at the same time. There is only one other plug in a typical Celebrity cabin--in the bathroom. So really, there is only one usable plug in the cabin unless you bring a power strip (we like the kind called a Power Squid--google this name and you'll see why it's so much more usable than a regular power strip!).

Most CPAP machines use a typical 2-prong transformer, and therefore CAN be plugged into any extension cord. But even if you have a three-prong CPAP, and you have a three-prong extension cord, plugged into a three-prong Power Squid, plugged into a three-prong wall outlet, you'd be fine.

I always travel with a cheap 12-foot extension cord just for the CPAP--and I even keep it curled up in my CPAP travel case so I never forget it.

Bottom line, you DO need a power strip (or Power Squid), and your CPAP WILL work with a regular extension cord. Just to be sure, try it at home before you leave on the cruise.

With the new airport security, you might want to bring a doctor's note or Rx just in case.

My wife had a double knee replacement, so she carries a card from her surgeon. It's never helped at airport or ship security. She gets "wanded" everywhere.

Lumpkin, thanks for your reply. I forgot to inquire about the distilled water but you answered it already!

I think I will call X-Mercury in advance and inform them of my needs and I do travel with a power-strip but the cord is not very long..maybe 4-5 feet.

If the ship can accomodate two cpaps then I'm sure they can handle one.

Appreciate the infor. bofus

To both Seaplus and Caker...thanks for your replies. I now know what I didn't know before. All this information is helpful and I will follow each suggestion.

I'm going with my daughter (who has had a previous cruise). I can hardly wait until Sept. '07!

Happy seas to you all.

bofus

1. as stated before - bring an extension cord. My machine uses a "computer" type power plug - and since I am in the business - I got a M-F extension flat cord so I have almost 15' and good to go. Get a Cubetap ( 3 sockets) or a small power strip from Radio Shack or Home Depot.

2. Bring some Duct Tape - Yellow is good so they can see it.

3. Most water on the ship is desalinized or at least somewhat distilled and never had an issue using it.

4. as far as TSA is concerned - never had an issue

I had my C-Pap with me on the Galaxy sky deck. I had brought a power strip and an extension cord with me but asked the special needs department to supply me with distilled water. The only water they could get me was sterile water. Sterile water is not distilled. I used the water out of the tap for the 12 night cruise w/o a problem. I had no sediment build-up or discoloration. I had read on this board of other people using it also w/o problems. I will not worry about water on future cruises. The plug was another issue. I changed sides of the bed (from home) plugged it in near the dresser, ran the cord down to the floor and covered it with the bath mat at night. In the morning, first thing before breakfast came, I picked the whole thing up, wound the cord around it and stowed it in the BR under the sink. I didn't want anyone to trip over it nor have to deal with cleaning around it either. The power strip is a must, there is no plug behind the bed. We use it for everything, battery charging, hair dryer, curling iron, laptop, you name it.

HawaiiApril, interesting that you the ship could not supply you with distilled water. I double checked before I got onboard (a few times the month before ) to be sure that there was enough onboard to accomodate all the passengers who might request it. I was assured they always had extra. And originally, when I had called the special needs dept of Celebrity about the extension cord, it was they who asked if I needed them to supply the water also.. I had completely forgotten, on my own, to request it. I remember being so surprised that is was so easily available and that I would not have to find a way to purchase it in Seattle before boarding. I wonder if some ships are better equipped than others, or if the person taking your request was off ship and actually was not informed of the ability that the ship may have had to supply you with the water? Or maybe it was embarking in a foreign port with little access to what is a common product in a US port? Just wondering....

The problem with the water was that they mistook distilled for sterile. I actually had that happen in a hospital as they use sterile water in their O2 concentrators. There was sterile water waiting and when I saw it I pointed that out that it was not what I requested. I spoke with the purser who came back with the info that was all they had in the infirmary. That was back in Feb, maybe constant requests have had them include it in their inventory since then.

Archived