Mi Dushi review Sept. 06

dsnygrl

We returned last weekend from a trip on the Carnival Destiny. I booked the Mi Dushi taste of Aruba sail and snorkel for our excursion in Aruba. I had read about it on these boards and on their web site. They were very quick to respond to any emails I sent and answered all of my questions. On the web site they begin the ages for children at 6. My DS was only going to be 5 so I asked them if he was allowed to go. They said no problem and that he would be free. We grabbed a taxi at the pier to take us to the dock area where the boat was located. The taxi was 10.00 each way per taxi not per person. We checked in at the pier and then took a smaller boat out to where the Mi Dushi was anchored. She needs a minimum of 12 feet of water. The boat was built in 1925 and is really cool. There is a hammock to lay in off the front bow of the ship, on the main part of the deck is the bar and a large picnic table and in the rear of the boat is a covered seating area with a large table in the middle. There were about 25 passengers on our sailing and 4 crew.I have done sailings and snorkel trips in many places but this was by far the friendliest crew ever. They all seemed to really care if you were having a good time and they seemed to really enjoy and take pride in their jobs. The trip took us to snorkel over a ship wreck and 2 reefs. Before we went in the water there was an extensive safty and instruction talk. Each passenger was fitted with an inflatable life vest, mask, snorkel and fins. They really made sure you had equipment in the correct size and there was plenty left over. They also provided each guest with a sealed disposable mouth piece for the snorkel. The water was rough and the current was strong over the ship wreck and some who were first timers had some difficulty in this part. The water in the other 2 stops was calm and beautiful. There was a first timer on out boat and a member of the crew actually took him around with the life preserver to make him feel comfortable. There was also a member of the crew in the water with us at all times. I saw more beautiful fish here than I did last year in Grand Cayman. After snorkeling was done, the rope swing was opened. What a thrill this is. Everyone had a ball and they let you do it as many times as you wanted. The free bar was open during the entire trip and it looked like they could make anything that did not require a blender. There was also beer and soft drinks. The crew came around to each person all day to see if they needed anything of if they could get them something to drink. Even with the open bar this was NOT a booze cruise. Everyone was having fun and no one was out of control or drunk. Lunch was served after the rope swing and was catered by the Le Dome restaurant. At our last snorkeling stop they took the dingy from our boat and went to shore to pick it up. It was a generous serving that they plated up for each passenger on actually china plates. It was the best meal I had on our trip. Yummy!!! I would highly recommend this tour if you are in Aruba. If I get there again I will be giving them a call. If you have any questions please post them and I will try my best to give you an answer.

Howdy Georgia neighbor. All the alchhol was free and included in the price. No limit of how much you could drink. The only beer I saw them serving was called Polar Beer. I think they said it was from Venezula (sp?).

Hi neighbor! My dh teaches in Woodstock so he had off last week too :D

Yes, Polar is from Venezuela. I was curious if they offered the local beer, Balashi :) and of course whether there was an extra charge. So I guess that is not too bad, though I really like Balashi or Amstel Bright.

We just moved to Canton from Woodstock in March. I like the week off because it just happens to fall the week of my DS birthday and we like to go on vacation that week anyway. No missed school and you know having a teacher in the family what a big deal it is to miss even an day of school now.

• 2 weeks later...

You could take a bus $2.00..Mi Dushi tour is located at the Highrises. I've gone on that tour a few times and go to Aruba every year..Its worth every penny. My question is are they still taking you to snorkle at the "Antilla Ship Wreck" Hope so that was the best. The sails when up are a sight to see..Watching the crew man them are amazing. The BBQ they have on board is really good. Nice tour. I am planning to do it again this year.

Glad you had a great time. Deb:cool:

Yes we went to the ship wrek. The water was really rough there though. I don't know if that's the norm or if it was just that day. It was beautiful to see. I did not know about the buses. Thanks for the info. There were 4 of us so the cab was just 2.00 more so I don't feel so bad.

Ok, so I think we're going to end up booking the Sunset Sail (which does run on the day we'll be there, YAY!!!:D ). I'm actually planning on surprising my grandparents on Christmas day (while we're on the ship) with this excursion as part of their Christmas gift. My grandfather had a boat all while I was growing up and he loves to be out on the ocean. So what better way than to take him out on this beautiful wooden vessel?!

I just have one questions before I book...My grandmother has hip problems, how hard is it to get on and off the boat? Will she have too hard of a problem?

well, just received my confirmation for Mi Dushi's Sunset Cruise! Can't wait! Thanks for the great review and all the comments on the cruise! I hope it's all it's cracked up to be!

Sorry about the 15million posts from yesterday...my computer had the hiccups!

That's Ok CVL, I'm sure you will all have a wonderful time. I'm glad you decided to do it even with the hip problems. As I explained on the other post, I did not think it was too bad but I could not judge what would be comfortable for someone else to do. It will be a wonderful surprise. I really wanted to go back and do the sunset cruise too. Have fun!

Hello,

Thank you so much for all the helpful information. We would like to do a half day morning sail and are having a hard time deciding with whom to book.

Does Mi Dushi have a "head"? As a kittycat gal, I gotta know there is litter available in an emergency ...

Am I correct that they sail around 9:30 and return a bit after noon? What's the total excursion time? We're trying to work in a few more sights before reboarding a cruise at 5 p.m.

Thanks!

Happycat, I can now read your post, not sure why it did not show up until today though. The actual boarding time was 9:30 but we did not return till around 2:30. Not noon. I am not sure how you are arriving in Aruba but we hung out on the beach for about 30 minutes before getting a cab back to our boat. We then showered and had dinner on the ship before going out for the night. We had to be back on the ship at 9:30. As for the bathroom. We had a talk about the boat and what to expect when we first got on. I know it included a talk about the bathroom but my little one was talking to me through it so I only heard bits and pieces of it. There is some kind of facility down in the cabin but from the pieces of the conversation I heard, I kinda got the impression that it was like going in a bucket or something. I can not say for sure and none of us actually used it. I hope this helps.

Archived