Century Review 13 days 9/2-9/15

PattyMichael

It's taken me a few weeks to recover from our wounderful cruise. My friend from our CC group GramFran as written a reveiw also. I just wanted to add my two cents. Hope my take on the trip will be helpfull.

We arrived a day early to Amsterdam, our hotel was the Ambassade Hotel www.Ambassade-hotel-NL it is on the canel. Very nice. We arrived Friday 9/1 7am from LA very tried, got to the hotel around 8:30, we took a shuttle www.schipholtelshuttle.nl only 12e each, less than a cab would cost, took us right to our front door. Our room was not ready but they checked our bags and offered us coffee. We asked about Anne Franks house we were told where to go only a few blocks away. I had read in Rick Steves book to go early or around dinner time. Off we went, it was a nice walk, the house had just opened 9am no line. When we were leaving the line was down the street. We also took a boat canel ride not too far from our hotel. Went back to the hotel to rest, we were meeting some of our new CC friends from our roll call for a drink. More later....

On Sat morning I purchased some flowers for our cabin, they lasted for most of our cruise. Took a cab to the port ( I only had one eye open, this would be many rides in Europe with one or both eyes closed, I must have missed so much) arrived around 11:45 am, it's a very short drive from the Hotel. A porter took our bags, there was no line we checked in and boarded. The ship looked great. Went straight to our room and dropped off hand carry bags. Then to lunch, came back to our room to find our bags by our door around 2:30 what service!! Room 8080 with the new veranda, the room was very nice, meet our room steward he took care of all our request, he was wonderful. We had early seating had a nice table, waiter and table mates.

Now, to get to the ports. The next day we arrived in Belgium 8am we had booked a ships tour. Bruges Sightseeing 4 hours 30 min. Activity Level Strenuous, but in the tour infor it said must be able to walk approximately 1 mile over cobblestone street. I said to my self no problem. The bus dropped us off at on end of town for the walking tour very nice, but we walked and walked, the Celberity host said this has got to be at least 3 miles. I had blister on both feet, and I had on good walking shoes, I guess my socks were not thick enough, not hiking socks. I am not in very good shape. Keep this in mind when booking a tour, if you have a hard time walking. I told my dh if this is the first day for me I am in trouble. We did get a waffel and some great chocolates, there were many chocolate shops buy alot for gifts the prices were great we would'nt see any deals like that for the rest of our trip. More later from the out of shape traveler, more fun to come. I hav'nt taked about the restrooms on the buses yet, what fun.......My dh and did laugh at ourselfs alot, we are both in our early 50s people older than us were getting around alot better then we were. One of our table mates in his 70s would go workout after dinner. We would hit the hay at 9:30.

Archived