Copenhagen's castles...

jstducky

For those who have been to Copenhagen and visited its castles, I am curious as to which ones are the best to see out of Rosenberg, Christiansborg and Amalienborg? Or all 3 worth the time and money?

How much time would you allocate to seeing each of them?

Thanks in advance!

Christiansborg is the home of the danish government, so if you are into politics try that out.

I prefer Amalienborg with the changing of the guard at noon, and Rosenberg with the royal jewels

But i will sugest frederiksborg castle in hillerød if you have enough time, this is (my opinion) the most beautiful castle in denmark and it is only 30-40 min. away with the S-train.

thanks danish viking.

i was going to see the changing of the guards at amalienborg.

do you think its necessary to go inside too?

i'll have to think about fredriksborg. i only have one full day and one partial day in copenhagen.

on my partial day, i'm going to take the copenhagen walks tour through copenhagen and ending at amalienborg for the changing of the guards before going to the ship.

at the end of the cruise, i was planning on going out rosenberg, checking out the city hall bell tower, taking a 1 hour canal ruise, going to ny glyptok walking the stroget and ending my day at tivoli at night. i dont think i would have time for fredriksborg.

what do you think?

Perhaps you've done this already and/or spent time in Copenhagen before, and, if so, my apologies for jumping to a conclusion - but - if you haven't, I'd suggest you do a brief internet search to see pictures of the castles outside of Copenhagen before deciding to spend a significant part of your short time there to go to see them.

We took a tour to see the neighbouring palaces/castles on our first visit to Copenhagen (pre internet research days) and I naively expected them to be like the huge, Norman castles -> consequently, was disappointed and wished I had left this tour to a future trip because I didn't see as much of Copenhagen as I would have liked to.

@ jstducky

I think that you should stick to that schedule

I have been at the ny carlsberg glyptotek 4 times and the egytian exhibition is fantastic and the museum has just undergone some large renovations so it is now up to date.

Tivoli at night its a blast

I will try to make a schedule

First....

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, then walk a few blocks to rådhuspladsen.

This is were the city hall bell tower is and it also the start of strøget shopping street.

And my plan is bulletproff because Strøget ends at Kongens nytorv (the kings new Square) and Nyhavn and here starts the canal/habour boat ride.

Rosenborg are in walking distance from nyhavn (the tower is visible from here)

If you are here in july and august the rosenborg Castle close at 17:00 on the other month it is 16:00 so to reach the castle the tour from The glyptotek must start about 10 or something depending on the pace.

Now theres is a lot of time to find a place to eat and relax an gråbrødretorv or kultorvet is on the way from rosenborg to tivoli and there are a good variety of restaurants here.

And at last enjoy Tivoli

So no time to Frederiksborg Castle. ;-)

That does sound like a nice walk, we didn't do it in the same order but we did cover the distance from Nyhaven to Tivoli and back to Rosenburg in a day easily. We just happened on Rosenburg on it's 400th anniversary celebration, which was a wonderful day with jousting, food, free admission to the castle and a festive atmosphere. The castle is worth it -- you can imagine how the royal family lived -- it is filled with art, treasures and furnishings. Definitely fun to visit. I can't compare with the other castles as we didn't get to them in the one short day.

The canal cruise is a fun way to see the city from the water.

For those who have been to Copenhagen and visited its castles, I am curious as to which ones are the best to see out of Rosenberg, Christiansborg and Amalienborg? Or all 3 worth the time and money?

How much time would you allocate to seeing each of them?

Thanks in advance!

See the changing of the guards at Amalienborg. Amalienborg is not altogether too far from Rosenborg. I've always enjoyed Rosenborg. It's located in a beatiful park setting. To tour Rosenborg, it takes only about an hour. Perhaps you can visit Rosenborg early in the morning, then make it to Amalienborg in time to watch the changing of the guard. As for Christainborg, we took a tour of the ruins under the castle, and The Royal Reception rooms. We enjoyed the Royal Reception rooms more then the ruins. For this you have to take a tour, make sure you find out when the English tours are conducted. Christainborg is also the home of the Danish government, and they have the parliment chambers there.

Christainborg is located close to where you can catch a canal tour which is highly recommended.

Are you there only for a day from a cruise ship, or will you have more time? If so, I highly recommend taking the train to Hillerod. It's only about 30-40 min. outside of Copenhagen by train. From the train station in Hilerod, you can walk to Frederiksborg castle, which is much larger, and the most beautiful castle in Denmark. Plus, from the train, you can view the beautiful Danish counrty side and residential areas.

You will love Copenhagen and Denmark, it's a wonderful city and country.

Archived