Books about Bermuda

SheilaNC

Anyone read a book either about the history of Bermuda or a story that takes place in Bermuda? I love to read about a place before I go there for the first time and haven't yet come across one about Bermuda. Note: I'm not asking about travel guides but rather stories about the islands. Thanks

Anyone read a book either about the history of Bermuda or a story that takes place in Bermuda? I love to read about a place before I go there for the first time and haven't yet come across one about Bermuda. Note: I'm not asking about travel guides but rather stories about the islands. Thanks

I just bought a nice book while we were there last week titled Twelve Months on a Rock by Janice MacKenzie. It is a personal account of the island's attractions and living in Bermuda. I bought it at the Book Cellar in St George. It cost $15.

There was a movie filmed in Bermuda called the Deep. Written by Peter Benchly of Jaws fame. Starred Nick Nolte, Robert Shaw and Jacqueline Bisset. Very good movie and has spectacular scenery of Bermuda. They didn't really blow up St. David's lighthouse, but it sure looked like it. It came out in the late 70's or early 80's

Brian Burland wrote several books about Bermuda, Including "Love is a Durable Fire". It's about a Bermuda family during WWII. Really great book. He wrote a few other novels about the same family, as well as a historic Bermuda novel called "Surprise". They may be out of print, but definitely worth searching for. He's a really good writer. Also, there's a children's book called "Bermuda Petrel" which I bought for my daughter (years ago), but enjoyed as an adult because it dealt with natural history and the discovery of a thought to be extinct bird!`

Intrepid,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to the library to day to search them out. Most of the books I've found have been printed in Bermuda and are only available there or are out of print....so I'll keep looking. Appreciate the help

I found this delightful book: "Resort to Murder" by Carolyn Hart right before my Bermuda cruise. LOVED IT! I even gave a copy to my 80 year old mom who loves Bermuda and mysteries! (The heroine is an older retired lady with lots of life left in her!) You can pick it up for a couple bucks on eBay or check it out from your local library.

Archived