Istanbul Tour Ferry/City Walk On Your Own

Hi Everyone,

I have been to Istanbul once before and don't really want to do the usual tour route to the mosques, etc. I want to do the city on my own, take the tour ferry (I believe it leaves from Eminönü Pier for a leisurely 1- 1/2 one way cruise to Anadolu Kavagi), maybe then have lunch at the quay, taxi back to the Spice Market, and visit the Bazaar and take a walking tour of some historical sites I haven't yet seen (underground cisterns and Topkapi Palace), and, (if I have the nerve) go to a hammam. So many options!!!

Has anyone ever done this on their own and can you please advise me how easy it is to get to the ferry pier from the cruise ship? Is it advisable to purchase ferry tickets in advance? Also, I don't speak the local language.

Thanks,

Jeana

Hi There,

Was in Istanbul in summer with Princess we were advised not to go to far on our own but to keep in groups and only go to tourist areas.

We had a tour booked to cruise the river with a lunch stop but it got cancelled.

Found Istanbul a very interesting place and would go back did not feel that it was unsafe in anyway, just another very big city with good and bad bits.

have a great trip.

yours Shogun

You didn't say if this was just a port of call day or if you had more time there. A friend & I spent 5 nights pre cruise in IST in April(our 2nd visit also). We booked our own hotel, used public transport, made up our day's itinerary on the fly. We always felt safe even though we were 2, 50+ females traveling alone. If you've done most of the major attractions, then there is a wealth of options that are also (IMO) "must sees". The Bosphorus Cruise is wonderful, as is taking the ferry to the Prince's Islands (from Sirkeci). If you enjoy the oppulence of Ottoman wealth, touring the Dolmabache Palace (European side) & Beylerbeyi Palace (Asian side) is fascinating. We found a driver to take us to both & then an early dinner back on the European side up at the edge of the Black Sea in a town called Kilyos. We negotiated the day's tour for €100 + tip. A wonderful day it was. We wanted to take in the Sema Ritual (Whirling Dervishes) but the timing was off. There is so much to do. As for getting to Eminonu for the ferry, public transport is found right outside the fenced in pier area. It would be a short inexpensive cab ride as well. No need to prepurchase ferry tickets. You should have no trouble getting the ticket seller to understand your request for the Bosphorus Cruise ticket.

We have visited Istanbul 3 times and always gone off on our own with no problems. The Turks have always been very friendly and warm towards Americans (and other tourists) and its one of our favorite places. Yes, there have been a few rare problems (bombs, etc) but Istanbul is basically a pretty safe city expect for the taxi drivers (they like to try and cheat tourists) and the normal pickpockets/purse snatchers (these are everywhere in the world). We have actually walked from the cruise ship terminal over the bridge into the main part of town (a great walk for those that like to stroll a few miles in a day). The major tourist area stretches from Topkapi to the Grand Bazaar and is also walkable or a short taxi drive. I never used a ferry since we love to walk.

Hank

We are leaving for Istanbul next Wednesday. Staying 5 nights at the Hotel Sari Konak before our BOS cruise. Go to http://www.tripadvisor.com and read the Istanbul boards. Great advice and answers to all your questions. Carol aka Lemonlady is from NYC and visits several times each year.....she will gladly answer all questions.

Marty

We were just in Istanbul in September and we walked from the cruise port to ferry pier, as well as to Sultanahmet. The walk to the ferry is not difficult-once you exit the ship, you want to head west toward Gelato bridge and it's right there once you cross it. It's probably about a 3 km walk-the streets are fairly quiet before you get to the bridge (it's not a touristy area) and I personally probably wouldn't want to walk it at night. We took the Bosphorus cruise and had a delicious fish lunch in Anadolu Kavagi before heading back. You definitely do not need to purchase tickets in advance. Just go to the booth and ask for tickets for the Bosphorus cruise and they will understand. We found most people had a fairly good knowledge of English in the touristy areas. There are many booths at the pier for the different ferries but they all had signs telling you which ferry went where and we easily found the one for the Bosphorus cruise. It cost 7.5 YTL per person.

Thanks everyone for your help! Oh my gosh....gelato!! That got me salivating also - oh, but that's another port - I can do that too!

I just discovered LemonLady today on smarterliving -what a wealth of info! Thanks!

Anyone ever go to a hammam? I hear it takes 1-2 hours. Hope I have enough time for everything! :eek:

Jeana

Istanbul is a perfectly safe city to walk - as Hank says. It is best described as "westernised muslim" and you'll find it odd that in such a busy city people do not bump into you compared to other European cities.

Your idea of the cisterns I think is good and if you are an early bird I'd try and sneek into the bazaar before it officially opens. The entrances are guarded and they guards let in the shopkeepers, but I promise you that if you don't look too touristy you can wander in and ignore anyone calling you back. The bazaar as it opens is a memorable experience and people are friendly. For me, one bazaar a day is enough. Another option is to get to the Topkapi early and once in I'd bypass the Harem and other touristy areas and see some of the exhibits and collections before anyone else arrives.

The ferry over to Asia is easy and a few pence.

If you happen to be there on a Sunday and are staying at a hotel you might want to e-mail the concierge in advance and ask them to wander down and buy a ticket to see the whirling dervish for you.

Archived