Transport to NY Pier during Rep. Convention

ckpan

There are 8 in our party leaving 8/27 - two days before the NYC Republican Convention and returning one day after the convention. Heard streets within a 20 block radius from MSG will be shut down, starting I don't know when. Do we drive in from New Jersey (through Lincoln or Holland Tunnel) and park at the pier? Do we drive to Weehawken and take the ferry over then walk up 12th with our luggage? Do we take cab or limo into the city and not worry about pier parking? Do we drive to Newark airport and take some sort of Carnival shuttle over to the NYC pier. Can Carnival PLEASE CONSIDER leaving out of Bayonne that week????

I am also leaving that week. I will be on the Victory leaving on the 28th which is the day before but I will be coming back on the 2nd of Sept which will be the worst day of the convention. I can't decide if we should get a limo or drive ourselves. If we take our own car, we don't have to wait for a limo backed up in endless traffic somewhere trying to get thru. But then I get the aggravation of driving thru the traffic.

Hi,

I also leave on the Legend Friday 8/27 and wondered about getting to the pier. There will be 6 of us and I planned on hire a car service to get there but I don't want to be dropped off 20 blocks from the pier with kids and luggage.

Are they actually going to shut down the streets leading to the pier? is there any site to get more information?

Michelle

I just e-mailed the cruise port and they said that all roads around the pier will be open. The cruise line would be pretty upset if they close the roads to the port. The convention is being held at Madison Square Garden which is over 25 blocks away. Just don't go near that area. You have to go around.

We will also be sailing on the Legend the week of 8/27 (about 16 of us). Last year we also sailed the Legend in Aug. The traffic was so bad, our limo driver got off the line for the pier and went around to a side street which was about two blocks away from the check-in area. We had to wheel our luggage, but it was so much easier and quicker than waiting on that long line. We'll probably do the same thing this year.

Carnival Legend - 8/04

Carnival Sensation - 10/03

Carnival Legend - 8/03

Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress - 8/02

Pacific Princess - 8/01

Carnival Fascination - 4/98

Home Lines Oceanic - 7/85

Archived