walker question

madhouseinc

I usually use a cane "just to keep my balance" but for rough days at sea I bring a walker with me. It is a major pain travelling!:mad: Problem is it doesn't fit into any of my luggage - or my friends luggage either. I can find all kinds of places to rent wheelchairs but not a walker - anyone have any suggestions? I tried once to just use the cane and that was a major error.

Hi madhouseinc. I did some searching, too. I'm pretty handy with a search engine, but the only outfit I found with walkers for rent was in Indianapolis.

Have you tried searching in the port you'll be sailing out of? I would think most major cities would have a durable medical equipment store that may offer rentals and, possibly, they could even deliver it to the ship on the day of your embarkation.

Hi madhouseinc. I did some searching, too. I'm pretty handy with a search engine, but the only outfit I found with walkers for rent was in Indianapolis.

Have you tried searching in the port you'll be sailing out of? I would think most major cities would have a durable medical equipment store that may offer rentals and, possibly, they could even deliver it to the ship on the day of your embarkation.

The guy that made my reservation is asking around for me right now. Poor guy - I have been making him nuts. I have tried looking up rental agencies in Fort Lauderdale, but the only things they seem to carry are wheelchairs, breathing equipment - all the big stuff.

I can find all kinds of places to rent wheelchairs but not a walker - anyone have any suggestions?

Not sure if you've checked out Scootaround yet. Might be worth taking a look.

I've copied & pasted the following text from their FAQ section:

question.gifDo you rent anything else besides scooters?

answer.gifYES! Manual Wheelchairs, Electric Wheelchairs, Walkers and Rollators are available at many of our locations. Call Toll-Free (1-888-441-7575) without obligation and tell us what you need.

Are you flying or driving? You can check a walker thru with your baggage. Since it is a medical device it is not counted as luggage. I always travel with a rollator as I can not walk or stand for very long.

Just bring your own walker and check it with your luggage at the airport. When the seas are rough, we find the walker is very helpful in preventing falls. Enjoy your cruise.

HOw do you check it? Where do you get a box - or would shrink wrap be good enough?

My husband uses a walker too and we've decided to use a transport chair on our upcoming cruises. We thought about it and decided that risking a fall wasn't worth it so I picked up a real nice one that compacts pretty well.

I know there are companies who rent chairs etc outta Lauderdale for about $150 a week.

we always take a walker as a matter of fact i just packed it today for cruise next week from istanbul. we use a cheap zippered garment bag, remove the legs from the walker and wrap them in some garment like a windbreaker or sweater and put that in the garment bag. I often will cover the walker with a jacket of some kind, which either zips or buttons up and that prevents any edge of the walker from cutting the garment bag. Using that method we have cruised all over the world and never had a problem.:)

I have flown 5 times with my rolling walker. I keep it (and use it) until I reach the gate. It is then gate checked and I pick it up as we leave the plane. Since it is gate checked it does not go to the luggage return but is brought up to the door of the plane. I have reached the point that I don't think I could travel without it. If the seas are even slightly rough I would be at high risk for falling with just my cane. The cane I use collapses and I put that into either my carry on or my purse.

I bring a bungee cord to hold it together and either check it with luggage (they put a tag on it and I usually find it aside the luggage carrier when we get to our destination.) Or, have it checked at the gate. We use a wheelchair to board, but have traveled with the walker for many years. Never had a problem.

'I think LeoandHugh have a great way of traveling..............I may try the garment bag next time we need to have the walker with us.

For now, we have become the scooter users............that and a cane.

Have a great trip Leo and Hugh. Remember 1028 is mine next December.:D

Dee

This weekend will be my first cruise after getting my rollator. My TA said that a wheelchair will be picking me up at the curbside checkin up to the airplane in addition to priority boarding. Don't know if they'll keep my walker in the passenger garmet bag area or if it will be gate checked; it folds to about 7". I'm also supposed to be met at the arrival gate with a wheelchair to collect my luggage.

This is going to be quite an interesting experience for me.

I have flown 5 times with my rolling walker. I keep it (and use it) until I reach the gate. It is then gate checked and I pick it up as we leave the plane. Since it is gate checked it does not go to the luggage return but is brought up to the door of the plane. I have reached the point that I don't think I could travel without it. If the seas are even slightly rough I would be at high risk for falling with just my cane. The cane I use collapses and I put that into either my carry on or my purse.

It will also fit in the overhead bin. Have done this a couple times. However, they will give you a gatecheck like they do the strollers when you arrive at the door of the plane.

My rollator is also great for transporting our carryons on the seat.:D

I usually use a cane "just to keep my balance" but for rough days at sea I bring a walker with me. It is a major pain travelling!:mad: Problem is it doesn't fit into any of my luggage - or my friends luggage either. I can find all kinds of places to rent wheelchairs but not a walker - anyone have any suggestions? I tried once to just use the cane and that was a major error.

My daughter picked up a walker for me at the Goodwill store for only $5, I keep it in the back of my car (just in case) I do use a cane, but after reading your post I think I will bring the walker with me.

My daughter picked up a walker for me at the Goodwill store for only $5, I keep it in the back of my car (just in case) I do use a cane, but after reading your post I think I will bring the walker with me.

OK, if you'all knew me you would not be a bit suprised - however... I am still stuggeling with the walker issue. Ah - OMG - might have found my answer. My balance leaves much to be desired, but I am very lucky to have strong legs.... the doctors say I just have a short circuit between my legs and brain. Today I discovered that those silly little tension rods you use for curtains are my answer - - am I nuts? Please, anyone else willing to just try them a bit?

jeri

OK, if you'all knew me you would not be a bit suprised - however... I am still stuggeling with the walker issue. Ah - OMG - might have found my answer. My balance leaves much to be desired, but I am very lucky to have strong legs.... the doctors say I just have a short circuit between my legs and brain. Today I discovered that those silly little tension rods you use for curtains are my answer - - am I nuts? Please, anyone else willing to just try them a bit?

jeri

I'm curious..how do you use the tension rods? My balance is also bad..plus I have had 2 knee surgeries. I can walk with a cane, but not long distances.

I'm curious..how do you use the tension rods? My balance is also bad..plus I have had 2 knee surgeries. I can walk with a cane, but not long distances.

Still playing around with the idea in my house. Walker is not really for support - legs are strong - brain just short circuits every once in a while I tip and even though it does not take much to right me - on a cruise it does become more difficult. Playing with the idea of just using them kind of like ski poles.

I've traveled with a walker with no problem. It's an assistive device that you can take with you to the gate on airlines; checked at the gate or ramp, it's brought up along with strollers for use when you leave the plane. It is NOT counted as a baggage item.

Found it worked well on my Alaskan cruise last May; I checked with shore excursion personnel to ensure that transport would be on buses (with room to tuck walker below) or took my cane along when I left ship if a van was the transport vehicle. Also noted on both that cruise and my recent Panama Canal cruise that SOME ports have free golf cart pr such service from the ship, up the pier to the cruise terminal. It varies. Check with your cruise line.

Not sure if you've checked out Scootaround yet. Might be worth taking a look.

I've copied & pasted the following text from their FAQ section:

question.gifDo you rent anything else besides scooters?

answer.gifYES! Manual Wheelchairs, Electric Wheelchairs, Walkers and Rollators are available at many of our locations. Call Toll-Free (1-888-441-7575) without obligation and tell us what you need.

When I called them they said they did not have walkers... they hae got to cleanup their website!

jeri

Archived