Any suggestions for a 4x4 tour?

CVL105

There is only one vendor in Barbados. They are contracted with the cruise ships.:mad: if you book on thier website you can save 15% but when I told them that I was sailing on the AOS I was told the discount didn't apply. That stinks.

What company is that?

Did they still let you book directly with them rather than through the cruise ship?

Was it cheaper than the price through the ship?

Thanks!

We booked 4x4 through Princess last March and it was the greatest tour we have ever been on after 12 cruises! Great scenery, lots of adventure off road and the driver was the greatest narrator and 'Jungle Juice" server ever. Would not hesitate to do this again.

You are smart to avoid the cruiseline excursions. ;)

We took the Congaline Tour through Adventureland (mentioned above as well), and had a fantastic day - highly recommended. That said, not sure if you'll have time on a one-day cruise stop. We were staying there for a week, so the 8:45 - 4:00 pm schedule wasn't a problem. Check your arrival/departure times carefully. If you're interested, here's the section from my trip review about this tour:

I prebooked this tour a few weeks before our arrival. We were picked up about 8:50, and stopped at some other hotels to pick up the rest of our group of 10. We then drove up into the hills, crossing gulleys on rutted off-road tracks and through sugar cane fields. Our guide, Czario, was fantastic, narrating throughout about the history of the island, answering our questions, and stopping periodically so we could take pictures, etc. I can’t say enough about how he tried to ensure this was a great excursion for everyone. We met up with several other jeeps at Welchman Gulley, where a guy named Cassius Clay (really) walked us about 10 minutes into the beautiful wooded area. He said the second half of the trail was closed due to mud from recent rains, and that area of the path wasn’t maintained, but the 10 minutes in and back seemed to be enough for everyone given the heat.

Cassius was very knowledgeable about local history, as well as flora and fauna. He’s also very funny, and he stopped us several times on the walk to chat about this or that. If you ever meet him, ask his theory about why hurricanes miss the island. When we returned, the guides had water, rum punch, and soda available. We then went to a pottery where we watched an artist throw a pot, then had a few minutes in the gift shop. We spent $15 each on candle shades (very cool), though one could certainly spend considerably more there; I was glad the visit was brief…

The next stop was a chattel house positioned high on a hill overlooking the east coast. It was a spectacular setting. We then drove down the hill (off-road) to a paved road, and went to lunch at a restaurant across the road from Bathsheba. Drinks were anything you wanted, and all you wanted, and lunch was a buffet of beef stew, chicken, fish, macaroni pie, rice, salad, and rum cake. All were very good. We had about an hour there, then to St John’s Church, beautiful inside and out with great views on all sides and an interesting cemetery. This was the last official stop – we were supposed to tour Gun Hill Signal station, but it was closed. We did drive past it, then worked back to the South coast, stopping a few times for Czario to point out a plant or tell a story. We were back at the hotel about 4:00. This was a full day, and at less than $45 each, even plus a $10 tip to Czario and two tee shirts at $10 each, a great value. We were given a pint of local rum as well. I very highly recommend this tour. Aside from just being fun, it provides an entirely different perspective of the island for those staying on the hotel-intensive south and west coasts, you learn something about history and real life on the island, and the scenery is absolutely beautiful.

Hi Bailey57,

Thanks for your info. The congaline adventure is exactly the tour we look for in our Dec 06 vaction. I called them 2 weeks ago, they do not have the schedule out yet for December. Do you know what hotel they do pick-up?

Thanks,

Sunraiser - They will pick up wherever you are I think. They have several of the jeeps, and I imagine each handles a specific area. We met up with the others at Welchman Gully. Hope that helps - write again if more questions.

It's really a terrific day - enjoy yourself! :D

Archived