Snorkeling in Belize?

I just got back from RC's Enchantment of the Seas with a stop in Belize (damn, I was in Belize this time last week!) I took the ship's excursion to Shark Ray Alley with lunch in Ambergris Caye. It was the highlight of my trip. It was like snorkeling in a giant tropical aquarium! See my posts under "San Pedro" in the Belize section for complete details. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=28360

Arranging your own excursion can be problematic in Belize because the requirement to tender into Belize City, but I don't believe it's impossible. See what other posters have said about doing it on your own. But whatever you decide, do it! I can't imagine a better place to snorkel in the world!

I agree that Shark and Stingray Alley/Hol Chan is a great place to go snorkeling. My husband and I stayed on Ambergris Caye last November. I did several scuba dives and we also went snorkeling at Hol Chan. Also I run shore excursions in California for cruise ships.

I would highly suggest going on the ship's shore excursion here. Usually I am all for doing things yourself. But this excursion would be hard to do on your own. The main reason being that if you get delayed, the ship will wait for you if you are on one of their excursions, if you are not, then you are on your own.

Have fun!

We dove w/ SeaSports Belize last Oct. and they were awsome! They also do snorkling trips. You do have to tender in and walk about 2 blocks to their shop, but on the way back they drop you off at the ship. Whether you go through the ship or w/ a private operator Belize is a must for diving/snorkling!

Julstravel,

Who did you stay and dive with in Ambergris Caye? We're thinking of combining a Panama Canal cruise with an additional week diving in Belize and we're looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

Kathi & Leo

Archived