Vancouver and Anchorage hotels

YooperGale

Has anyone stayed at the following hotels in Anchorage:

1. the Extended Stay Deluxe at 700 E 34th Avenue,

2. the Best Western Barrat Inn at 4616 Spenard Road,

3. the Microtel Inn at 5205 Northwood Drive

4. Howard Johnson Plaza at 239 West 4th Avenue?

How about the following in Vancouver

1. Ramada Inn and Suites Downtown (1221 Granville Avenue)

2. Quality Hotel Downtown at 1335 Howe Street?

If anyone has had experience with any of these, what did you think?

Also, in looking for a hotel in either Vancouver or Anchorage, how do I know what area to look in?

Thanks very much,

Gale

• 3 weeks later...

Gale, a better question is, what is your price point?

I tend to be a bit of a hotel snob, having association with some of the finer hotels in the city for work (I try not to be biased,really:D ). If I were to stay in the downtown core, I would choose something closer to the business district or Robson Street. The other hotels you mentioned in Vancouver are closer to the entertainment district. Not unsafe by any means, but not really close to where things are 'happening' in the city. If you are going to be in the city for a short time, and don't really care either way, AND the hotels offer a shuttle to the port or the airport, then go for it. Otherwise, keep shopping and reading the board for more suggestions! Good luck.

Haven't stayed at either of those hotels but I'd keep looking area wise. At night that end of Granville is a little skeezy and there's lots of nightclubs around so it could be noisy. I've stayed at the Hojo near there and the Best Western both were ok although the hojo is next door to a night club that was noisy one night.

The comfort inn on Nelson is pretty good. It's been renovated recently. It's also right in the midst of a bunch of night clubs and bars but I found the noise to be just fine there. It's also a closer walk to Robson st.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a posting I entered on another thread on cruise critic. We think it is a wonderful little hotel. I can't say enough about it. Their web site is in this post. Check them out. The staff was very friendly too. Also, there is a roof top patio with tables, grills, etc. Oh yes, there is a Safeway supermarket across the street. It is just a wonderful place in our opinion.

Here is a REAL GEM for you if you have the possibility. It is called the Times Square Suites. My wife and I had a one bedroom suite that was fabulous. It had a real bedroom with a door and everything. Also a full kitchen with dishwasher, microwave, table and 4 chairs, there was a couch and arm chair, 2 TVs, a stereo, DVD player, video tape machine, and a big item for us, a washer and dryer in the room. We had to supply our own detergent etc. but what a plus. And the price, $189 CDN. The place was 2 blocks from Stanley Park, right on Robson St. It is on the corner of Denman and Robson. There were MANY restaurants within a block of the hotel; every type of ethnic food you can imagine. Of couse there was Mickey Ds etc. too. I cannot say enough about this hotel. If we go back to Vancouver, we will DEFINITELY stay there again. I made my reservation on line too. http://www.timessquaresuites.com

I have stayed at the Quality Inn on Howe. It is O.K., not as run down as the Ramada. Check out the Le Soleil Hotel and Suites if you like something more upscale. Probably a few bucks more, however I can tell you that it is very nice and well located. Only three blocks fron Canada Place (Pier).

Archived