Seeking on shore ideas for my parents (agile & 68)

happy1

I'm gathering information for my parents, who will be traveling with us on a 7 night Alaskan cruise next June. We're visiting Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, and Victoria.

What are the must-see's (excursions or on their own)? This will be our first visit to Alaska.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

I recommend that you spend LOTS of time reading this board - and always pay attention to Budget Queen's advice - she has a WEALTH of experience!! I could tell you what I've decided to do - but I think everyone's priorities are different, so I think you'll just have to READ, COPY/PASTE, and turn over the many options to them! The first thing I was taught is that I can do it on my own, without the ship's help. :D

You are best to - first- look over a shore excursion list. Any cruiseline will do since it is port based. Narrow down your interests. Determine your budget- frankly- this isn't the place to skimp. I never do ship tours and always book direct with venders- don't use middle men either. :) Always superior tours for personal attention, smaller size,longer times- don't count on significant saving for most compared to ship tours.

Then repost, for more specific information.

Rent a car in Juneau, for sure. It will be FAR less expensive just to go to the glacier and the chapel on your own. Rent from RentAWreck NOT a big name company. The other companies have their cars at the airport.......$26. EACH way extra (one cab ride to get the car and another to return to the ship afterwards). Don't miss the Alaska State Museum in Juneau, either..............it's magnificent. And, if it's a nice day/evening, do the ride up the mountain; it's right across the street from the docks. Your ticket will be for all day. If it's foggy and/or rainy, it's a waste of time.

RentAWreck has nice cars............not wrecks............and they often just leave your car in the parking garage (right where ships dock). This summer I called to say we were off the ship and she just told me to go to a certain space inside the parking structure and there was our car.:)

We walk everywhere in Ketchikan and in Sitka, but you may want to do something else.

In Sitka you will want to go to the Bishop's House, which is now a Natl. Park Site................and to the fields surrounded by totems where the Tlingit Indians were all killed by Russians (those sea otter pelts caused a lot of problems!!)............it's a beautiful park with grass, etc. You will also want to see St. Michael's.........that's the church that's right in the middle of the street and it's fun to see the Russian Dancers as well. Sitka is really pretty. We enjoy going to the Pioneer Home and visiting with people who "knew Alaska when"................all of these places are walkable.

In Ketchikan, once you've walked Creek Street............go to the new National Parks bldg. and then walk behind Creek Street to the creek..........if you're there at the right time, it will be full of salmon.

This may be your first time to Alaska; it won't be your last.;)

Archived